Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 01:33 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,514,992 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am a Canadian coming to visit the bay area on February 7th for about a week or so before I hit southern California. I plan on couch surfing for part of the week, but I'm also looking for a hostel to stay at for a couple of nights first. I know about the HIs in the city, but I'm looking for something cheaper without any curfew. I'm not so concerned about the location because I like to wander, but proximity to cheap Asian markets would be a bonus. I like to cook. I figure locals will probably have the best knowledge for this information, so I am very thankful for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 01:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,044,398 times
Green Tortoise Hostel in North Beach, real close to Chinatown. Go to House of Nanking and Hunan Homes for some of the best Chinese food in Chinatown, or venture down to New Ming's on Mission at 2nd for cheap but still very tasty Chinese food.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:19 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,688,164 times
Couchsurfing.com is a great resource, and you can usually find good short-term rooms for rent in people's houses/apartments on craigslist.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 838 times
When I went to San Francisco I stayed at Adelaide Hostel [url]http://www.travelaholics.com/hostels/united-states/san-francisco/adelaide-hostel-and-hotel/a34986/[/url] and had a great time! Although I didn't venture into the kitchen, I remember they had one with all the equipment you ever need for your cooking. They are close to the main attractions and not far from Chinatown and Japantown for your food shopping eitheir. They're cheaper than HI. Enjoy your trip!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:21 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,941,883 times
HI locations in SF do not have a curfew.
With cheaper hostels... sometimes you get what you pay for, just saying...
Let me just say there been cases of employees eating guests' food in some non-HI hostels, and employees not changing the bed linens at all, so new guests slept on the same linens as others--skin diseases are a concern and there're a few of them going around. I heard good things about Green Tortoise, though didn't stay there myself--I stayed at HI and it was good.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:09 PM

506 posts, read 1,151,910 times
...Not that there's anything to do after a possible curfew anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland