Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 1,915 times

Advertisements

My question is can an attorney that knowingly represents you on both sides, as a prosecutor and then defense be sued for Conflict of Interest or Malpractice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 03:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,055,003 times
I dunno, ask a lawyer!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:38 PM

It happened...He asked; "Do you remember me?"... didn't at first, but I did after it was to late to remove him from my case and unfortunately prosecuted by my defending attorney...lol

Old 11-21-2011, 05:01 PM

484 posts, read 820,566 times
The California rules of professional conduct generally require a signed, informed waiver of conflict of interest when an attorney's current representation of a party conflicts with his or her prior representation of a client. But there generally has to be something materially similar between the two representations, such as where an attorney learns something from the prior representation that he can use against his or her former client in the new representation.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:35 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,040,596 times
Besides that, what incentive would a prosecutor have to not recuse himself from the case if there was even an inkling that there may be a conflict of interest?

Further, did you tell your defense attorney about this? The defense attorney could have raised the issue, why didn't he/she?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:33 AM

He was my "Defense Attorney" in the case. He used to be a Prosecuting Attorney in the case 4 years prior. This is why he asked if I remember him. I didn't until later after I had been sentenced. I tried to contact a DA to speak with concerning the matter, but no one would respond while incarcerated over this matter. When I first went to court the baliff said we have great news...You will have a "Real Attorney" handeling your case and you don't have to worry about using a Public Defender. Well, That did sound good considering I had no time or way to contact an attorney, but this "Real Attorney" was previously a DA that was trying to have me do jail time and never came out and said it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland