Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,786,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Parts of Oakland are violent and dangerous.
Parts of internet blogs are often repetitious and annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:29 PM

21,678 posts, read 24,855,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
((Wonders why there was a crowd gathering at the liquor store)). I'm guessing there was a fight happening/brewing, and this is the tragic outcome.

Sad, especially for the little boy, who was clearly innocent in all this. My prayers for his recovery.
This.

Sad the boy has parents that think taking their one-year-old to a rap shoot at a liquor store in the projects is a good idea.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:05 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,689,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
This.

Sad the boy has parents that think taking their one-year-old to a rap shoot at a liquor store in the projects is a good idea.

It wasn't in the projects, it was in front of West Oakland Liquor on 7th Street... it's one of the only surviving business on 7th Street. This whole situation is sad for more reasons than one.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:32 PM

14,641 posts, read 14,534,672 times
While the area is poor and largely abandoned, gunshots were rare even in the early 90s crack era. It's a neighborhood were not much happens (bad or good), so Im sure the music video was a neighborhood event. There's always someone around to blame the innocent bystanders though, as typical as any violence in Oakland.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:29 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,039,448 times
Watch as there's no protests against the shootings, just like when that 3 year old was shot.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:21 AM

179 posts, read 411,129 times
From what I heard on the local news. Somebody was shooting some kind of video. Also the gunman escaped vie the freeway. All of which suggest some kind of gang drive in shooting kind of thing? Is most unnerving. Given this all happened about six or seven blocks from where I live. Plus I do some of my shopping on that same street. As for the store that is the "only" business? Well I can say there are actually quite a few stores on that street. Including the 99 cent store, several restraints and a credit union among others. Frankly I would not mind seeing a few Liquor stores go belly up! But would prefer it not be due to gun fire! After all. What gos up dos go down. Hopefully not on me or my home!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,215 posts, read 80,386,269 times
Despite a higher than average murder rate, Oakland is not really a violent and dangerous city. I lived there a few years and worked there 17 years and managed to survive. Some interesting articles here:

Oakland Homicides - Inside Bay Area

Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 AM

70 posts, read 130,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Same.

The title of this thread should be changed by a mod though as the story itself is newsworthy... the idiotic commentary of the OP doesn't have to make people cynical about what is a terrible & tragic situation.
Agreed, very sad for the family - I heard details about how a man with a gunshot wound drove the little boy to the hospital. The topic of the thread distracts from this family's loss.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,689,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyoung123 View Post
From what I heard on the local news. Somebody was shooting some kind of video. Also the gunman escaped vie the freeway. All of which suggest some kind of gang drive in shooting kind of thing? Is most unnerving. Given this all happened about six or seven blocks from where I live. Plus I do some of my shopping on that same street. As for the store that is the "only" business? Well I can say there are actually quite a few stores on that street. Including the 99 cent store, several restraints and a credit union among others. Frankly I would not mind seeing a few Liquor stores go belly up! But would prefer it not be due to gun fire! After all. What gos up dos go down. Hopefully not on me or my home!

I'm not saying liquor stores are great either - they're not - but the vast majority of the businesses that once populated 7th Street are gone now. There used to be tons of clubs, a historic movie theater (Lincoln Theater), stores, etc... none of that is there now. Other than People's Grocery, the development in Mandela Gateway has close to nothing and the Jack London Center by the towers is equally barren. West Oakland Liquor is one of two places on 7th that actually sells any form of groceries... it's really disturbing how under-served that entire surrounding area is.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 AM

6,403 posts, read 8,237,965 times
Totally agree. West Oakland/JLS hasn't really seen much development over the years- unlike Uptown and Temescal which look completely different than when I first moved to Oakland in 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland