Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM

14,643 posts, read 14,546,835 times

Advertisements

Well, they must be desirable places to live with some of the highest home sales and monthly rent prices in the United States. If you all choose to not live in SF or Oakland, I don't believe anyone is begging you to do otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,000,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Now its 6 dead. Just another fine day in Oakland. I guess this puts the 2012 Oakland body count well into the 40s.

Oakland Shooting: 7 Dead at Oikos University; Suspect ID'd as One L. Goh, 43 - ABC News
Just a horrible incident.

Oakland has been an especially violent city the past 2 years. 110 homicides in 2011, and it looks like it will increase again this year.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 PM

327 posts, read 765,380 times
I love how everybody's bagging on Oakland. Didn't some Asian guy blast 5 or 6 people recently in San Francisco? Or does San Francisco news usually hide coverage about its own criminals unless they "fit the right description?" I got into a debate about this a few months ago in this very forum. Sometimes it feels good to be right. In this case, it doesn't.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:44 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,242,275 times
Yup. 5 people were murdered in SF last week and it was pretty much swept under the rug. Then people are suddenly appalled and outraged when it happens 8 miles across the bay in Oakland, because they act like it's to be expected.

Makes me sick

Old 04-03-2012, 12:49 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,195,928 times
oakland is dangerous but that is bek the 9mm pants down people that like to live there dont belong there.
they are not oakland when the community has a problem with that it will get better and not b4.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:16 AM

I don't think anyone is defending San Francisco as safe, but I've been living in the Bay Area for over two decades, and Oakland has always had the local reputation of being dangerous, and crime infested. The fact that a city so small had 110 homicides last year proves the point.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 AM

18,965 posts, read 32,492,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
SF and particularly Oakland as bad as it is, are not the most violent urban area in the US. Not by a long stretch.
The SF-Oakland MSA ranks pretty damn high for overall crime compared to the rest of the nation. It ranked 39 out of 347 MSA's and Metropolitan Divisions ranked. The Oakland-Fremont Metropolitan Division (MD), which is part of the greater SF MSA, actually ranks 12th overall in the country. Even MSA's like Miami, Philly, LA, Dallas, etc..have lower overall crime rates than the SF-Oak MSA.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

For how wealthy and educated this area is it's fairly disturbing how high the crime rate is overall. Yet people try to pretend that this is "normal". The crime in this area (the SF MSA) is well above "normal" OVERALL.

BUT on the flip side, the San Jose MSA ranks very low overall for crime, helping equalize out the rest of the Bay Area. Ranking 204 out of 347, well below the national average.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The SF-Oakland MSA ranks pretty damn high for overall crime compared to the rest of the nation. It ranked 39 out of 347 MSA's and Metropolitan Divisions ranked. The Oakland-Fremont Metropolitan Division (MD), which is part of the greater SF MSA, actually ranks 12th overall in the country. Even MSA's like Miami, Philly, LA, Dallas, etc..have lower overall crime rates than the SF-Oak MSA.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

For how wealthy and educated this area is it's fairly disturbing how high the crime rate is overall. Yet people try to pretend that this is "normal". The crime in this area (the SF MSA) is well above "normal" OVERALL.

BUT on the flip side, the San Jose MSA ranks very low overall for crime, helping equalize out the rest of the Bay Area. Ranking 204 out of 347, well below the national average.
It is sad, and as a resident of the BA for 20+ years, I'm surprised it hasn't changed for the better. Oakland has so much going for it; location, character, and diversity of culture, it's a great city to visit, I love going to the Farmer's Market on Grand. I interned at Highland Hospital in the mid-90s, so I have a soft spot for Oakland because it was my spot while I was poor, and young.

Unfortunately, I would never want to live there because of how rough the city is. It's like it goes through stretches of improvement like 2007 to 2010 when homicides dropped for 4 years straight, then things took a really bad turn for the worse in 2011 when people were getting murdered left and right. 2012 doesn't look like it's off to a great start either. OUSD has gone insolvent twice in the past 10 years, and the way the Oakland PD conducted themselves during the Occupy protest was simply criminal. Jean Quan is incompetent, and I hope the recall goes through.

Oakland is a city with a lot of potential, but things need to change. Unfortunately a lot of BA residents have been saying this for a long time, and things for the most part don't change.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,549,621 times
As long as the Oakland residents keep trying to deny that they have a violent crime problem, nothing will ever change.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:14 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,272,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriaOtuagoma View Post
Good Morning, i am new here and i will move from Germany to Oakland at the End of this Year. This doesnt sound to good to me to be honest. What Areas should i NEVER enter ?? Any Idea where i should not let my Child go to Highschool ? Are there Safe Schools ?
From your other posts, I think you are mixing up Oakland, Tennessee, where you are moving, with Oakland, California, which is the city discussed in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland