Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:24 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,242,275 times

Advertisements

If you weren't so smug and condescending, we'd greatly appreciate your well wishes and gestures of solidarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 04:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlandbus View Post
Is crime a problem in Oakland? Sure, for many people it is. Is it for me, no. Is it for most of my friends, no. Therefore, we love Oakland for what we know.
@Doc:
If one has the means to avoid a violent hood, that's what one does.

The arbitrarily-bounded amalgamation labeled "Oakland" is a composition of many very different communities. What comes out in the press is a label that does not delineate between those - thus the violence stat is of little practical use, since the great majority of that activity occurs in very specific locations, the denizens of which would generally prefer to be in the nicer, safer parts of town, but are stuck in the crossfire zone due mainly to economic factors.

Saying "Oakland is violent" is just lazy. People that live there get sick of it, especially hearing that old line while doing what they can to improve the situation.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:21 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
Last night, my husband forgot to lock our front door. At five oclock this morning, our cat, Bonus, was crying to go out. He always does this -- and bounces on the bed to get one of us up.

I noted as I let Bunny out the door was not locked. And because I was 3/4 asleep, I neglected to lock it, too.

I live in the flats -- the scary part...

Right now I have some mouthy bird telling the whole world he's happy to be a bird. JEEZ -- we get it! You're a bird! and you're HAPPY!

The breeze is swaying through my avocado tree.

And my front door -- is probably locked.

I feel safe here. And frankly, that's all that matters. When we moved here, we tried to make a difference, and people don't change.

You're a doctor -- you know that. You tell a guy who drinks 12 beers a day to cut down on his alcohol consumption if he can't quit and 6 weeks later he's back, happy as a clam because he followed your advice and cut back his beer to 6 a day... but then you find out he substituted wine for the other 6, because he read wine was healthy.

You can only tilt at windmills for so long before you realize you're not getting anywhere with it....

Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,402,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Just a horrible incident.

Oakland has been an especially violent city the past 2 years. 110 homicides in 2011, and it looks like it will increase again this year.
90% of which takes place in just three districts. Please stop pushing your ignorant drivel.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,402,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Wow, there is a lot of sensitivity in here. I don't think I'm better because I don't live in Oakland, I don't push my nose up at anyone. Like I said before I used to intern at Highland a long, long time ago, so Oakland has a special place in my heart.

With that, I wish Oaklanders the best. You live in a great city with lots of potential. Not my intention to personally offend you, just commenting on the thread topic about Oakland and violence.

Later Oakland diehards. Keep the faith!
Sensitivity has nothing to do with it. You're just an ignorant tool.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,264,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallysmom View Post
last night, my husband forgot to lock our front door. At five oclock this morning, our cat, bonus, was crying to go out. He always does this -- and bounces on the bed to get one of us up.

I noted as i let bunny out the door was not locked. And because i was 3/4 asleep, i neglected to lock it, too.

Right now i have some mouthy bird telling the whole world he's happy to be a bird. Jeez -- we get it! You're a bird! And you're happy!

I feel safe here. And frankly, that's all that matters. When we moved here, we tried to make a difference, and people don't change.
+1

Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,549,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
If you weren't so smug and condescending, we'd greatly appreciate your well wishes and gestures of solidarity.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:05 PM

327 posts, read 765,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Last night, my husband forgot to lock our front door. At five oclock this morning, our cat, Bonus, was crying to go out. He always does this -- and bounces on the bed to get one of us up.

I noted as I let Bunny out the door was not locked. And because I was 3/4 asleep, I neglected to lock it, too.

Right now I have some mouthy bird telling the whole world he's happy to be a bird. JEEZ -- we get it! You're a bird! and you're HAPPY!

You're a doctor -- you know that. You tell a guy who drinks 12 beers a day to cut down on his alcohol consumption if he can't quit and 6 weeks later he's back, happy as a clam because he followed your advice and cut back his beer to 6 a day... but then you find out he substituted wine for the other 6, because he read wine was healthy.

You can only tilt at windmills for so long before you realize you're not getting anywhere with it....
Beautiful.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,137,938 times
Some pretty high profile asian mass murder crimes in both cities as of late.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,044,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

You're a doctor -- you know that.
And I'm the musclebound mayor of Metro City, it says so right in my user name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland