Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 PM

327 posts, read 765,301 times

Advertisements

continue to update us on how this goes. i've been planning on moving to SF (because i want to be closer to my girlfriend). seems a bit impossible to live comfortably there if you don't make six figs a year. good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 PM

858 posts, read 2,231,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
continue to update us on how this goes. i've been planning on moving to SF (because i want to be closer to my girlfriend). seems a bit impossible to live comfortably there if you don't make six figs a year. good luck.
Stop using that as an excuse. Move your butt already. =) You can live in SF at any wage/salary and since your GF is here, why don't you share a room with her?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 PM

129 posts, read 404,792 times
I am doing well.

My roommate on the boat is really nice. He owns the boat & is a few years younger than me.

I was afraid I'd freeze, but he lent me a really warm sleeping bag & this other sleeping bag to put over me. I am sleeping on this bed which is where the steering wheel of the boat is. (I obviously do not know proper boating terms lol).

It is beautiful. I can see sea lions & seals from my boat.

My roommate just called...he is picking me up..I'm at the library, so I have to go.

Stayed in Sausalito today, but have been venturing out to the city.

More later.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,414,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGirlDreamingofSF View Post
I am doing well.

My roommate on the boat is really nice. He owns the boat & is a few years younger than me.

I was afraid I'd freeze, but he lent me a really warm sleeping bag & this other sleeping bag to put over me. I am sleeping on this bed which is where the steering wheel of the boat is. (I obviously do not know proper boating terms lol).

It is beautiful. I can see sea lions & seals from my boat.

My roommate just called...he is picking me up..I'm at the library, so I have to go.

Stayed in Sausalito today, but have been venturing out to the city.

More later.
Hey you! Glad to hear you made it and are enjoying yourself so far! You need to change your CD location!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:10 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,040,356 times
Congrats. You are one brave soul. Best wishes to ya.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Congrats. You are one brave soul. Best wishes to ya.

Thank you Jaypee.

I'd like to think it was bravery, but many would say it was foolishness.

But, I am a dreamer at heart.....

A good friend of mine in TX told me I had guts & was brave....said he'd never move without knowing anyone (even though he longs to move from where he is)....made me feel good.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:44 PM

So, thought I'd update some more.

I am really really glad to be in the Bay Area.

My roommate, though gruff & tough, is nice & it has been a good roommate situation.

The view from the boat is beautiful.

But, living on the boat is not ideal...as I knew it wouldn't be. So, I'm trying to work work work to have the money for a roommate situation in San Francisco.

The hardest part is NOT not having electricity on the boat, or not being able to take a shower on the boat, or getting on & off a little dingy boat (which has a motor) to get to & from the boat which is anchored half a mile out in the middle of the water.

The hardest part is my roommate works in the city at night servicing different staffing companies as a waiter/server, so basically I end up having to wander around in the evenings.

He actually leaves during the day....sometimes in the morning, sometimes early afternoon.

Sometimes I go into San Francisco with him & other times I stay in Sausalito. (The Sausalito library is open til 9 PM most evenings & after that there is this restaurant that is open 'til 10).

Sometimes I'm able to hang out "inside" some where until I meet back up with him, but there have been times when I have been outside at night lugging my heavy lap top & any thing else I have with me.

It sucks actually as it makes me feel like I'm rendered as homeless at times---even though I am not.

I guess I'm getting kind of frustrated with it, especially since it wasn't totally laid out for me as far as how late we'd be meeting back up each evening. It's been after midnight several times & even later some times. Of course there have been some earlier times--9 PM I think was the earliest.

Additionally, having to wait all day & late into the night to meet back up with him ends up costing me so much money......eating out during the day, eating out at night, food/hot chocolate/etc. if I'm at a coffee shop on the computer, drinks at a bar if that is all I can find open late at night. (I do not drink very much but I'm not going to sit in an establishment & not order something).

He's told me "You can stay on the boat".

Well.......first of all, my main goal is making money and as a phone sex operator that requires that my phones be fully charged....which by the time I get up in the morning I need to get somewhere to charge them & I also miss some calls overnight due to being asleep, which gets me signed out of those characters & I can't get signed back on 'til I get off the boat & access the internet.

And........hanging out on a cold boat that has no electricity all day & all night does not seem appealing. I really doubt he has ever stayed on the boat all day & all night by himself.

BUT.........the boat got me out here cheaply.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:49 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,414,716 times
Hey! No need to lose money! You can get battery backups for cell phones. Call you cell phone provider and ask them what kind is suitable for your phone.

This also might work!

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Power...sr=1-3-catcorr

Old 12-11-2011, 09:04 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,941,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Stop using that as an excuse. Move your butt already. =) You can live in SF at any wage/salary and since your GF is here, why don't you share a room with her?
On "any wage/salary" it'd be more like sharing a cardboard box or crackhouse project...

Old 12-11-2011, 09:36 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,941,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGirlDreamingofSF View Post
So, thought I'd update some more.

I am really really glad to be in the Bay Area.

My roommate, though gruff & tough, is nice & it has been a good roommate situation.

The view from the boat is beautiful.

But, living on the boat is not ideal...as I knew it wouldn't be. So, I'm trying to work work work to have the money for a roommate situation in San Francisco.

The hardest part is NOT not having electricity on the boat, or not being able to take a shower on the boat, or getting on & off a little dingy boat (which has a motor) to get to & from the boat which is anchored half a mile out in the middle of the water.

The hardest part is my roommate works in the city at night servicing different staffing companies as a waiter/server, so basically I end up having to wander around in the evenings.

He actually leaves during the day....sometimes in the morning, sometimes early afternoon.

Sometimes I go into San Francisco with him & other times I stay in Sausalito. (The Sausalito library is open til 9 PM most evenings & after that there is this restaurant that is open 'til 10).

Sometimes I'm able to hang out "inside" some where until I meet back up with him, but there have been times when I have been outside at night lugging my heavy lap top & any thing else I have with me.

It sucks actually as it makes me feel like I'm rendered as homeless at times---even though I am not.

I guess I'm getting kind of frustrated with it, especially since it wasn't totally laid out for me as far as how late we'd be meeting back up each evening. It's been after midnight several times & even later some times. Of course there have been some earlier times--9 PM I think was the earliest.

Additionally, having to wait all day & late into the night to meet back up with him ends up costing me so much money......eating out during the day, eating out at night, food/hot chocolate/etc. if I'm at a coffee shop on the computer, drinks at a bar if that is all I can find open late at night. (I do not drink very much but I'm not going to sit in an establishment & not order something).

He's told me "You can stay on the boat".

Well.......first of all, my main goal is making money and as a phone sex operator that requires that my phones be fully charged....which by the time I get up in the morning I need to get somewhere to charge them & I also miss some calls overnight due to being asleep, which gets me signed out of those characters & I can't get signed back on 'til I get off the boat & access the internet.

And........hanging out on a cold boat that has no electricity all day & all night does not seem appealing. I really doubt he has ever stayed on the boat all day & all night by himself.

BUT.........the boat got me out here cheaply.
There're many hostels in SF you could consider instead of a boat. At least, you'd be always warm and have electricity, internet and full kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland