Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:07 AM

10,502 posts, read 6,116,432 times

Advertisements

TXgirl. I hope you don't mind me saying but this boat thing sounds like a crazy situation. You can't hang around at night for hours with nowhere to go and lugging a laptop around. Didn't you say you had a girlfriend you could stay with? Otherwise please find a hostel you can stay at until you get somewhere more permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,212,945 times
Ummm like others have said, go to a hostel. This boat situation sounds cool on paper but working it out in real life, I would think would suck.

San Francisco Hostels Listing - All Hostels in San Francisco at Hostels.com

Finding a more permanent place will be much easier for you. I forget, didn't you have a place set up before you came here? Are you still looking for a place in SF? Staying in SF while apartment hunting will be much easier on you. And the hostel situation, at least you can meet up with other people instead of just Boat-Guy.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:42 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,941,695 times
Boat situation not only sounds crazy but also potentially unsafe, especially since boat is far off shore. Hope someone knows which boat you're staying on and who's there with you. If you have a car, I know that parking can be a problem with most SF hostels, but there're a couple of them that do offer parking for free, and some have paid parking.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,414,716 times
Don't worry guys I just spoke to her and she is OK. The boat man is not a bad/dangerous person. She is looking into the hostel situation as I write this!

Thanks everyone! and especially BVitamen for the Hostel link!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,137,234 times
Yea the whole boat thing is uber sketch.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,941,695 times
I heard that SF International H ostel allows people to stay for a long time (just met someone who used to work there, and he was allowed to work in exchange for free stay)--most other hostels have a 14-day limit

Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
More like uber inconvenience and uncomfortable!!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
I heard that SF International H ostel allows people to stay for a long time (just met someone who used to work there, and he was allowed to work in exchange for free stay)--most other hostels have a 14-day limit
Thanks for the suggestion! Hostel in San Francisco(SF) - San Francisco International Hostel

Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,791,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Like revisiting some sort of "Cape Fear."

Old 12-14-2011, 02:43 PM

129 posts, read 404,792 times
Thanks for all of the helpful advice. I called some hostels the other day & am going to call the SF International hostel today.

One issue with regards to staying in a hostel.......I have to work.....working means my phones ringing....which could/would disturb other peeps in the room with me.....and if I put my phones on vibrate, I may not hear them. I typically keep my phones on when I go to bed.....and take calls straight from being asleep. (though there are times I do not hear them ring & miss calls).

I guess I could hang out in the lobby with my lap top & take calls.....going outside to do the calls if need be. I'm a night owl, so I could stay up late working & then catch some sleep during the day when hopefully other people would not be in the room sleeping.

The boat situation is not scary....and there are aspects to it I will miss once I move on. It's really beautiful scenery & very peaceful. I'm a very loyal type person & I already feel guilty at the prospect of leaving my roommate...but I know that is not something I need to feel. I have to do what is best for me & my work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland