Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 PM

910 posts, read 1,668,351 times

Advertisements

Here’s a story that’ll tickle your McRibs. On December 1 a law seemingly banning McDonald’s Happy Meals went into effect in San Francisco. The “Healthy Meal Incentives Ordinance” prohibits restaurants from giving away toys with meals that do not meet with the city’s approval — namely, meals with too many calories, too much salt or fat, or insufficient fruits and vegetables. Just a few days before the ordinance took effect, SF Weekly reports, McDonald’s announced it had found a simple way around the statute: Charge customers extra for the toys.

Now in order to obtain a Happy Meal toy, parents will first have to buy the meal and then pay an additional 10 cents, which will be considered a donation to Ronald McDonald House charities. With Burger King’s announcement that it will implement a similar policy, the Happy Meal ban has thus effectively been neutralized.
Link:
McDonald (http://thenewamerican.com/economy/sectors-mainmenu-46/10015-mcdonalds-finds-mceasy-way-to-evade-san-francisco-happy-meal-ban - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,066 posts, read 80,100,596 times
I can't stand McDonalds but I hate mommy government more, so good for them!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,540,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I can't stand McDonalds but I hate mommy government more, so good for them!
Mommy government or mommie marketeers using cutting edge subliminal suggestive techniques to shape and mold the future heavy "users" from cradle to grave?

Modern society is a mechanical mixture of isolated human atoms without connection to the past, tradition, older generations etc.. This mixture pretends to be the "freest" in the human history, yet every individual atom is manufactured & programmed from the ground up by a handful (a figure of speech implying small number) of people molding and shaping our attitudes, tastes, views, fashions, (mass) culture, knowledge, sensibilities etc., etc., etc..

It's true that an infant raised without "programming" is not a human, indoctrination is a must. Yet, in the more "primitive" cultures indoctrination was a matter of tradition, knowledge and wisdom passed from a generation to generation (including culinary & food traditions). We, on the other hand, are being indoctrinated by very, very, very specific individuals who (more frequently than not) maximize somebody's bottom line on our expense.

In this context, invoking "freedom" and "mommy government" every time corporate programmers are limited in their suggestive power of influence sounds truly Orwellian (as freedom is slavery). In essence, freedom lovers object competition of public and private programmers.

If you look at the revolving door between US government and business, it's hard to say who is who. Therefore, imagining "government" as a separate Marxist menace is a product of many years of manipulation.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,683,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Mommy government or mommie marketeers using cutting edge subliminal suggestive techniques to shape and mold the future heavy "users" from cradle to grave?

Modern society is a mechanical mixture of isolated human atoms without connection to the past, tradition, older generations etc.. This mixture pretends to be the "freest" in the human history, yet every individual atom is manufactured & programmed from the ground up by a handful (a figure of speech implying small number) of people molding and shaping our attitudes, tastes, views, fashions, (mass) culture, knowledge, sensibilities etc., etc., etc..

It's true that an infant raised without "programming" is not a human, indoctrination is a must. Yet, in the more "primitive" cultures indoctrination was a matter of tradition, knowledge and wisdom passed from a generation to generation (including culinary & food traditions). We, on the other hand, are being indoctrinated by very, very, very specific individuals who (more frequently than not) maximize somebody's bottom line on our expense.

In this context, invoking "freedom" and "mommy government" every time corporate programmers are limited in their suggestive power of influence sounds truly Orwellian (as freedom is slavery). In essence, freedom lovers object competition of public and private programmers.

If you look at the revolving door between US government and business, it's hard to say who is who. Therefore, imagining "government" as a separate Marxist menace is a product of many years of manipulation.

First semester of college, huh? Good times!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,993,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post

How did my family avoid this indoctrination?

As for this specific program, like so many in SF, there will be no measurable benefit whatsoever. They won't even try to measure the outcome.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,066 posts, read 80,100,596 times
My point was that parents have the responsibility to choose their children's meals, whether there is a free toy or not. I didn't buy my kids everything they wanted.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
How did my family avoid this indoctrination?

As for this specific program, like so many in SF, there will be no measurable benefit whatsoever. They won't even try to measure the outcome.
Let's put indoctrination aside, it's brazenly obvious that most of us (and me) are passive receivers but it's somewhat different (and huge) subject.

McD purposefully distributes toys to kids to create "warm&fuzzy" memories in their little heads - mommy, daddy, me, love, warmth & McD. It's a classic of subliminal programming. The idea behind subliminal programming is not so much to manipulate the conscious perception, but rather stimulate feelings. Who said that businesses are always shortsighted? Just imagine little Jonny grew up into a very health conscious animal rights activist and he feels little bit sad, lonely and misunderstood. Then, what a joy, his eyes stumbled upon McD arks and memories of that warmth, love and belonging just flooded John circuits. Will big John (who was programmed differently than his parents) resist a time travel temptation?

Last edited by RememberMee; 12-02-2011 at 11:02 PM..

Old 12-02-2011, 10:59 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
^^^^^^^ *Sigh*

Good for McDonald's. Guess those idiots on the city council were absent through most of their History classes. Probably camping out on the quad smokin grass.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My point was that parents have the responsibility to choose their children's meals, whether there is a free toy or not. I didn't buy my kids everything they wanted.
You mean the parents who grew up on the diet of 30,000 ads per year, 6 hours of TV per day and regular McD happy meals? Those are the things that shaped the parents. No wonder corporate lobbyists and lawyers embraced the rhetoric of parental rights and personal responsibility/freedom to fight lame attempts of Congress to limit advertising to children (it's prohibited in Europe, btw).

Consuming Kids: The Hostile Takeover of Childhood [Hardcover]

Susan Linn (Author)

A shocking exposé of the $15 billion marketing maelstrom aimed at our children and how we can stop it. With the intensity of the California gold rush, corporations are racing to stake their claim on the consumer group formerly known as children. What was once the purview of a handful of companies has escalated into a gargantuan enterprise estimated at over $15 billion annually. While parents busily try to set limits at home, marketing executives work day and night to undermine their efforts with irresistible messages.
In Consuming Kids, psychologist Susan Linn takes a comprehensive and unsparing look at the demographic advertisers call "the kid market," taking readers on a compelling and disconcerting journey through modern childhood as envisioned by commercial interests. Children are now the focus of a marketing maelstrom, targets for everything from minivans to M&M counting books. All aspects of children's lives—their health, education, creativity, and values—are at risk of being compromised by their status in the marketplace.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:08 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,380,777 times
I'm not a fan of McDonalds...

I do support their work around 100% and say good for them!

As too the advertising... who's fault is that?

When was the last time you saw a McDonald's Bill Board, Radio or Newspaper ad?

Any parent that uses commercial... yes, "Commercial" Television in lieu of a baby sitter is 100% responsible.

I may just stop and pick-up a happy meal and toy to show my support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland