Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 7,237 times

Advertisements

Thanks to Arbitron's rating system (at least according to management), Cumulus Media of Atlanta, GA managed to alienate it's San Francisco listeners and advertisers. KGO has dumped their news talk format, fired 8-10 of their most popular talent and decided to take on KCBS with an all news format.

Thousands of listeners are vowing never to listen to KGO again.
Feeling alienated and P.O'd, thousands are saying they are removing KGO from their radio presets.

Advertisers are leaving. The local newspaper online (SFGATE) ran a Phil Matier article about it, getting well over one thousand comments - one of the most commented stories on the Web site. 95-97% of the comments are disgruntled listeners who vow to remove KGO form their radio presets. There are Facebook pages talking about protests, online petitions to get the station back, boycotts for the sponsors, etc.

I don't know what metric Arbitron used, but even if KGO's ratings were going down, should you dump what geese are still laying the golden eggs and start fresh with low paid talent, a boring format, and alienate your existing audience and advertisers needlessly?

Netflix-style corporate decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 11:50 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,786,881 times
Seems fairly clear that Cumulus isn't terribly concerned with keeping this station relevant, or even afloat. Or perhaps they failed to do their homework on this, and just went blindly with Arbitron numbers.

Arbitron, as in arbitrary.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,686,944 times
I'm willing to bet that Cumulus knows exactly what they're doing, and this is their business and they're more than pretty good at it.

Peoiple always gripe about change on an online newspaper's comments section, you can't assume that actually means anything.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM

227 posts, read 537,012 times
I've long been a Burns, Rothman, Gross, Thurston, and Craft fan, so I'm one of those folks who won't be listening to KGO anymore with the change. While the weekends are still OK (except I used to also listen to Dining Around with Gene Burns in the mornings)...I just don't agree with the changes either.

It's football season anyway, so I'll stick to sports talk for a while.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
I'm willing to bet that Cumulus knows exactly what they're doing, and this is their business and they're more than pretty good at it.

Peoiple always gripe about change on an online newspaper's comments section, you can't assume that actually means anything.
If you are an Ozzy Osbourne fan, and you heard he has been ordered from on high to do Lady Gaga covers cuz the numbers suggest more profit can be made from such than his own material, you pitch a raging, legitimate ***** and stop patronizing those shows, too.

There are a great many who are up in arms about Cumulus' KGO decisions, as they should be. These are people who have been loyal listeners for a long time.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:51 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,411,115 times
One of my favorite Ray Taliaferro comments to a caller: "You, my sir, are an *******".

Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 PM

9 posts, read 21,781 times
Bye Bye RayTal, lol

Old 12-09-2011, 01:37 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,313,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
One of my favorite Ray Taliaferro comments to a caller: "You, my sir, are an *******".
Me too. I always enjoyed Ray. He has been very lenient on the Republican party lately though, so I thought something might be up with the station. Changing the format of KGO really destroys part of the ambiance that is talk radio-listening in the bay.

I still don't like it that a Classical Music station is no longer playing in the South Bay. Sucks.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I still don't like it that a Classical Music station is no longer playing in the South Bay. Sucks.
Many are still loudly booing the demise of KSJO at the behest of Clear Channel, who turned it into a Mexican oldies station unannounced. The station now known as 92.3 KSJO is now a Chinese-language station. Just gets weirder and weirder.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:46 PM

484 posts, read 819,470 times
KGO lost its mojo many years ago when its best talent moved on to "other things," for various reasons. Gene Burns's program had become formulaic, and I could not listen to John Rothmann's pompous, repetitive bloviating for more than five minutes. I wish they had put Christine Craft into the 10pm-1am time slot a couple of years ago, since she is actually entertaining and doesn't always talk about politics or the education system. I am enjoying the syndicated stuff they broadcast late at night more than their own (former) local hosts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland