Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 05:24 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,195,928 times

Advertisements

SF is not into taking care of your family. they think that is your job.
they are into art music diversity and beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,028,574 times
I'll have to answer based on what I *thought* you meant, since so much of your rant is so poorly written it makes no sense.

First, the thread title is " San Francisco is the most overrated city in California ". The MOST overrated. You make (untenable, IMO) claims that it is overrated, but not that it is the most over-rated in the state. The question is whether or not it is the MOST overrated. Fail #1.

You then compare SF to Chicago and NYC. Neither ChiTown nor NYC is in California. Fail #2.

Even if we ignore fail #2, you seem to think that it is the job of the city of SF to provide public transportation for the rest of the bay area. Fail #3.

I really don't know what basis you have to determine that *I* am "a gullible person like yourself, who protests & riots on the streets of SF in downtown". I've never rioted. Fail #4.

I could go on, but I just decided that I've made my point enough with the above.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:22 PM

1,486 posts, read 291,641 times
San Francisco isn't overrated. It's actually a pretty awesome city. They have a chinatown, many landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge, a great downtown, and a beautiful landscape. There are cons, such as crime like you stated, fog, chilliness, and very windy weather.

SF is definitely comparable to Seattle, Boston, Chicago, and Southern California cities. You oughta see Fresno, Bakersfield, and San Jose to see what is really bad in California.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,080 times
I don't live in SF but visit SF for work. I would to say it is overrated but it does offer a lot of you want to make money in the city... quality of live? no. I know too many average SF people who have been mugged one way or the other.

In the morning the drains smell so bad that it is difficult to walk on the sidewalk while in the afternoon the day becomes windy and chilly.

I am just waiting for the right job for which I don't have to travel to SF anymore.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,204,440 times
That title belongs to LA, homie. The way TV and the media portray Los Angeles is such a fallacy. But the only thing over rated about SF is the size of the city. An outsider would think it would be bigger. It's hard to imagine that SF have so much going on in that tiny city.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:31 AM

710 posts, read 466,014 times
The city itself is not beautiful overall - very rundown houses and dirty. Surrounding area is ok...but it's a dry landscape (Mediterranean feel) and not green and lush, which I prefer.

It must be noted as well that bodies of water around cities are usually somewhat pleasant to look at.

Seattle is way more beautiful in terms of its "natural" beauty - lush and green!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:47 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,222,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
The city itself is not beautiful overall - very rundown houses and dirty. Surrounding area is ok...but it's a dry landscape (Mediterranean feel) and not green and lush, which I prefer.

It must be noted as well that bodies of water around cities are usually somewhat pleasant to look at.

Seattle is way more beautiful in terms of its "natural" beauty - lush and green!
That's definitely a matter of personal taste. I actually love the Mediterranean feel of the native landscape, because it also provides a blank canvas for all the private gardens that people plant with crazy, lush, exotic things from around the world, which echo the diversity and creativity of the city's people. To me, Seattle is a bit dark and enclosed -- almost too many trees. And the mountains are beautiful, but I don't want to look at snowy peaks all year long. I like that city too though.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:51 AM

3,441 posts, read 5,222,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdizo916 View Post
That title belongs to LA, homie. The way TV and the media portray Los Angeles is such a fallacy. But the only thing over rated about SF is the size of the city. An outsider would think it would be bigger. It's hard to imagine that SF have so much going on in that tiny city.
Totally agree with this. LA is fine, and there is, in fact, a lot to do, but for a city of so many millions, there's not enough to do per capita. LA is also really lacking in the topography/scenery department. There is little visual interest, although some neighborhoods and districts are really cute. I love Pasadena, Melrose, Abbott Kinney, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, the warehouse district, parts of Sunset, but when you think about it, there aren't nearly as many cute neighborhood districts as in SF or the Bay Area as a whole. And there's no nearby wine country, or little towns for weekend trips, or nearly as much open space for hiking or biking.

I do think SF is overrated in some ways, because it's so hard to live with the high cost of living and urban challenges, but LA is just kind of flat by comparison, so I'd agree that it's even more overrated. I'll say this much too: when speaking with foreign visitors, they always thing LA is so-so and SF is amazing.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:03 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,437,731 times
SF is def not over rated.. the only downside to SF and the Bay Area is the cost of living especially housing and traffic. Everything else in SF is amazing. Great weather, unparalleled scenery, very educated lively people. I visited SF a few years back and I loved everything about it. I probably can't afford to live in SF or Northern California but I love visiting the place.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:14 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,028,574 times
San Francisco's weather isn't that 'great'. Sure, it's not humid, but it gets cold (especially during the summer). Mark Twain is (falsely) rumored to have quipped "the coldest winter I ever saw was a summer spent in San Francisco".

But SF isn't 'overrated'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland