Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
Hands down no question about it. I get that people like the scenery and the ocean, but it has got to be the most overrated city in this state. From expensive cost of living to the homeless and crime problem, who would want to raise a family there. And quite frankly, the skyline only looks good with the ocean as a backdrop. The street level view is far from inspiring and aside from the real nice victorians, everything seems wrong to me. What does SF offer a regular family that anywhere else near the water cant. I don't hate SF I just hate the attitude of posters from there thinking their ish don't stink. If you have never been to Cali and want to vacation with family, SF is the least family friendly city in the state. You are better off anywhere else in California with your precious loved ones than SF. And they wonder why all their sports teams want to build a stadium elsewhere.
i am inclined to agree with you but know we are in the minority. If I had no kids and an endless amount of money I think living in SanFranciso for at leat awhile would be really fun, but I certainly never would consider raising a family within the city and I think it is better for visiting than actual living.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 08:49 AM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times
I love SF!

I love their festivals, parades, outdoor markets, foot traffic, tourists, demonstrations. I love their shopping streets, union st. filmore, polk, castro, divisidero, haight, etc.

I love their cool neighborhoods, and victorians.

Everyone loves Union square.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:35 AM

306 posts, read 603,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As opposed to Fresno?

Downtown San Francisco:

These pics looks nice but I don't see the homeless. Something is fishy.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I love SF!

I love their festivals, parades, outdoor markets, foot traffic, tourists, demonstrations. I love their shopping streets, union st. filmore, polk, castro, divisidero, haight, etc.

I love their cool neighborhoods, and victorians.

Everyone loves Union square.
a bit split are we?

Old 12-07-2011, 10:12 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Some people love big cities, and some don't. All big cities have similar problems. San Francisco has the added bonus of being gorgeous, colorful, and full of great shopping, dining, and museums. Is it a place to raise a family? Not very easily. But neither is Manhattan. It doesn't even make sense to compare it to the burbs.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:23 AM

306 posts, read 603,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Some people love big cities, and some don't. All big cities have similar problems. San Francisco has the added bonus of being gorgeous, colorful, and full of great shopping, dining, and museums. Is it a place to raise a family? Not very easily. But neither is Manhattan. It doesn't even make sense to compare it to the burbs.
I don't consider SF to be a big city, it only cover 49 sq miles. Regular cities are driven by working class families. SF and Manhattan are driven by something else thats probably why I don't care for them much. I'm not sying there aren't great things from SF, I just believe it's super overrated. There are great cities for families, SF is not one of them.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I don't think I have ever seen anyone anywhere claim SF is a great place for families. How does that make SF overrated.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
Hands down no question about it. I get that people like the scenery and the ocean, but it has got to be the most overrated city in this state. From expensive cost of living to the homeless and crime problem, who would want to raise a family there. And quite frankly, the skyline only looks good with the ocean as a backdrop. The street level view is far from inspiring and aside from the real nice victorians, everything seems wrong to me. What does SF offer a regular family that anywhere else near the water cant. I don't hate SF I just hate the attitude of posters from there thinking their ish don't stink. If you have never been to Cali and want to vacation with family, SF is the least family friendly city in the state. You are better off anywhere else in California with your precious loved ones than SF. And they wonder why all their sports teams want to build a stadium elsewhere.

Puzzled. That SF is not a "family-friendly" city is not news. It has always been a singles hub. That's why the old saying goes, "San Francisco is where young people go to retire." I can't say it better myself.

SF has its share of families, but also many more who moved out to the suburbs because of how un-family-friendly this place is. So yes, you're absolutely right, but you're also missing the point.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:18 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I love San Francisco... it's why I've spent every New Years for the past 4 years there and visit friends who live up in the bay area frequently

For years we took family vacations up there and there was always plenty for us kids to do, if you actually know the city. If you're going there to visit without knowing the ins and outs I can see how it could be a little more difficult.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:05 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
WOW, people whining about San Francisco on the internet? I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland