Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 12:32 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,135,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Yeah, it's a little sunnier away from the western portion, but the avenues are the only part of the city I'm aware of that's both cheap and relatively safe. Hence I lived there, as did most of my friends. Worked downtown, so I at least did get a few seconds of sunlight each morning from Muni to the office. heh

I do like the Indian Summer we get though, especially since my birthday is usually right in the middle of it.
You must've been away for awhile, then. The Sunset and The Richmond (I don't hear many who've spent much time here saying "The Avenues") are still safe, but are no longer cheap. Too bad. Nice neighborhoods with a lot of SF charm--part of that, to me anyway, is the weather and proximity of both to the park and beach.

The fog line is generally known to be Divisadero. West of there, it's foggy. East of there, it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 02:44 PM

7 posts, read 13,681 times
Agreed. SF is only good for it's amazing food and shopping. Besides that it smells like **** and there is human feces on many streets as well as aggressive homeless people everywhere. I have to take a shower and wash all my clothes every time after I take BART to SF.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,043,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookitskirby View Post
Agreed. SF is only good for it's amazing food and shopping. Besides that it smells like **** and there is human feces on many streets as well as aggressive homeless people everywhere. I have to take a shower and wash all my clothes every time after I take BART to SF.
So stay away. What is wrong with you?

Old 09-09-2014, 04:29 PM

7 posts, read 13,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
I go for the food. Duhh... ohh.. and Cellar maker is pretty cool too.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:22 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
Hands down no question about it. I get that people like the scenery and the ocean, but it has got to be the most overrated city in this state. From expensive cost of living to the homeless and crime problem, who would want to raise a family there. And quite frankly, the skyline only looks good with the ocean as a backdrop. The street level view is far from inspiring and aside from the real nice victorians, everything seems wrong to me. What does SF offer a regular family that anywhere else near the water cant. I don't hate SF I just hate the attitude of posters from there thinking their ish don't stink. If you have never been to Cali and want to vacation with family, SF is the least family friendly city in the state. You are better off anywhere else in California with your precious loved ones than SF. And they wonder why all their sports teams want to build a stadium elsewhere.
So we are looking at all cities in CA, or just big cities, I suppose if your marker is to see how cities like San Diego, LA, Long Beach, San Jose, Sacramento, and SF compare to how people tend to rate them, then I guess yeah, it is the most overrated of those, but mostly because except for SD and LA, most people don't really think highly of the other cities when they have a lot to offer, and LA is usually portrayed as an overgrown suburb, but actually being there you can see it is not that. SD is pretty nice, maybe a bit overrated, but yeah, SF does get more overrated than the other cities.

I wouldn't say that is a bad thing, sure it is not London or NYC, but it has its pluses, especially if you're into yuppie things, lots of restaurants, kind of expensive sure, but you shouldn't expect less in the 2nd most expensive city in the US. There are several touristy things to do for tourists, not so great if you live there I suppose.

As for the stadiums, SF didn't want to hand the 49ers a nicer piece of land near transit, so they went to a city that would, and would pay for it too. Considering that's where their offices and training fields are, I was not surprised.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:57 PM

736 posts, read 485,322 times
Exchanging insults over not liking a place is senseless to me.

Some people like genuinely like SF, and some people genuinely do not. So what? What gives?

San Francisco has all the problems that come with big cities in the US.

By the way, it's a blessing to grow old/er as many people will never have the chance.

Happy continued arguing, everyone!

Old 10-01-2014, 03:32 AM

343 posts, read 692,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
Nothing's wrong with him, he doesn't like urine, feces and aggressive homeless people in public places. Oh, and crappy cities.

What's wrong with you?

Old 10-05-2014, 11:18 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,087 times
Just want to say that whereas San Fran is expensive and does have a homeless and crime problem everything else about it is awesome whereas Fresno is crap in every way.

Fresno means "meth lab" in Miwok Indian language.

I remember walking down crackstone...errr...Blackstone avenue and wondering why the cops let people openly deal drugs and pimp hoes as they handed out traffic tickets for making Hollywood stops at the stop signs. My priority would have been to get rid of the pimping and drug dealing, but hey, I do not employ superior Fresno logic.

I hate Fresno.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:26 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
Well if there is one thing NYC and SF have in common, it's football teams in the suburbs, LoL.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:34 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
You can say the exact same thing about Boston, Dallas, DC, Houston, San Diego, Miami and other large/populous US cities. What point are you trying to make again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland