Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 09:27 PM

6,409 posts, read 8,251,572 times

Advertisements

No, of course not. You seem reasonably intelligent. NorCal Dude made those claims. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 09:27 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,423,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Listen man, I'm just using your own definitions. You claim that SF isn't a real city and that Oakland is a town, so I really just have to go based on whatever words you use. I know your two UC Berkeley degrees involved a critical thinking class a while back, but maybe you're rusty.

Interesting. I haven't spent that much time in Houston, but from I remember that places that felt "urban" in the traditional sense to me were downtown, Montrose, and midtown. The rest felt pretty sprawled out.
If you ever go back hop on the Light Rail from the UofH Downtown and take it all the way to Reliant Stadium. Then you will see the Unban scene all along that 7 mile ride.

The Light Rail goes from DT Houston through the Museum District to Hermann Park/Rice University/ Houston Zoo to the TMC and ends close to Reliant Stadium.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:30 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,143,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
It's 8 miles from DT Houston. If you hop on the light rail it is 6.8 miles.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Down...07!2d29.684722
Quote:
Listen man, I'm just using your own definitions. You claim that SF isn't a real city and that Oakland is a town, so I really just have to go based on whatever words you use. I know your two UC Berkeley degrees involved a critical thinking class a while back, but maybe you're rusty.
I consider Sf to be a botique city. Sd and h town, I would say are cities. Not the most urbane, but cities. Oakland is the town.

Why do you even care, lady?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:31 PM

6,409 posts, read 8,251,572 times
Quote:
If you ever go back hop on the Light Rail from the UofH Downtown and take it all the way to Reliant Stadium. Then you will see the Unban scene all along that 7 mile ride.

The Light Rail goes from DT Houston through the Museum District to Hermann Park/Rice University/ Houston Zoo to the TMC and ends close to Reliant Stadium.

Good to know. In any event, a lot of NFL (and pro sports teams) don't have stadiums in the downtown areas of a city. NorCal Dude seems to think that having a downtown stadium is some litmus test for whether a city is 'real' or not. I feel dumb for having even bothered to have engaged with him, but I learned something about Houston, so I'll consider it a wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I consider Sf to be a botique city. Sd and h town, I would say are cities. Not the most urbane, but cities. Oakland is the town.

Why do you even care, lady?
Thinly veiled homophobic remarks aside, I don't actually care. You know nothing about cities or urban planning, and your knowledge of Oakland, let alone other cities, is really limited for a UC graduate. I've had a few laughs at your expense, but I'm bored now.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:34 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
I like that Houston is not super urban...that is why the city is relatively clean for being the 4th largest city in the US. The crap I see in SF you will not find much of in DT Houston.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:36 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,445,208 times
I LOVE SF AND THE BAY AREA.. how can you not like SF that city is amazing.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,143,835 times
Quote:
I like that Houston is not super urban...that is why the city is relatively clean for being the 4th largest city in the US. The crap I see in SF you will not find much of in DT Houston.
Always struck me as a clean version of L.A. I think it's a fantastic town. Right up there with Chi, LA, and NYC. SF is small time and not as economically relevant as San Jose.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 PM

Quote:
but I learned something about Houston.
Glad to have been of help. One of my favorite places to go and walk around at night like a misfit is in DT Houston. Many of the really interesting places that are open at night don't advertise and are well known to the Earthbound Misfits that live in DT or in very close neighborhoods!

I was very fortunate to be connected to a lot of artists through my brothers band and all the gigs they did in the warehouse district and the Montrose area....as well as the painting classes I took in the warehouse district in DT Houston. DT Houston is a very cool place to go if you are well connected to the various artists and misfit scenes.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Always struck me as a clean version of L.A. I think it's a fantastic town. Right up there with Chi, LA, and NYC. SF is small time and not as economically relevant as San Jose.
Yes Downtown H-Town is a very cool city that does not cater much to tourists!

Old 03-15-2016, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 559 times
I have never been happier since I left the bay area. I did not like living in a place where the economy refused to make a place the middle class. I would rather live closer in touch with the rest of America. I felt alienated living in a world that economically couldn't relate to the majority of the rest of my family and friends, it began to just feel immoral for me. Now for those who are there all the more power to you no judgement on the people from me! it's just not the place for me. There are good people everywhere, there too of course but I just didn't like the idea of supporting extreme bay area economic culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland