Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 03:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,781,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
However, it's my understanding that the crime rate in Fresno is a lot worse than in SF.
2010:

Fresno: 456.9
SF: 365.8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 03:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,292,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
No, It's not.
Sure some people, a slim fraction, are OK with subsistence living, but most are not. I stand by my statement.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:39 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,033,036 times
Without a car it's easy to get by in SF on about $35,000 a year if you're living with roommates, and unless you have student loans or pay too much in rent you should be able to save money each month. Problem is that rent is edging upwards while incomes are going nowhere.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:47 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,292,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Without a car it's easy to get by in SF on about $35,000 a year if you're living with roommates, and unless you have student loans or pay too much in rent you should be able to save money each month. Problem is that rent is edging upwards while incomes are going nowhere.
Imagine trying to do that as a single income couple or even more so, a family.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,033,036 times
People don't move to San Francisco, let alone the Bay Area as a whole, because they want to raise 2.5 kids and own a big house with white picket fences and have a big fat driveway to park a giant SUV on. You and I both know that.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:11 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,491,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I love SF!

I love their festivals, parades, outdoor markets, foot traffic, tourists, demonstrations. I love their shopping streets, union st. filmore, polk, castro, divisidero, haight, etc.

I love their cool neighborhoods, and victorians.

Everyone loves Union square.
This got old and repetitive for me after about my 2nd year here.
The parades don't change much from year to year and it seems like at just about every festival, its the same vendors and centers more on commercialization that substance .. Parades .. meh, love fest got more and more corny every year they've had it .. Until its just dead in my mind.. Doing it in the park, concert on festival island .. meh, you could just fly in for big events like that ...

Foot traffic.. meh
Tourists / Demonstration .. meh.

Shopping ... meh, i'd lump that w/ tourist exploration .. once i saw it and explored it all .. it just became meh.

I've found Farmers markets and side stores in just about every place i've been .. Not fond of the hippy like attitude that big box retailers are evil/uncool.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,491,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
People don't move to San Francisco, let alone the Bay Area as a whole, because they want to raise 2.5 kids and own a big house with white picket fences and have a big fat driveway to park a giant SUV on. You and I both know that.
No they cram in small places and pay top dollar so they can tell everyone .. It costs more because its that much more amazing bro .. you don't know what your missing out on.. Except, it's more of the same day to day anyone else experiences ... Were cool bro, we dont have big box retailers.. It's all about paying 2x more for the same sh*t in a corner store.

We've got mixed use development bro.. although a lot of visionary developers are incorporating this everywhere :

Mixed-use development - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia...

Samples of some of my favorite stomping grounds in FL :

#4 rated beer bar in the world .. Wow, in Orlando ..

I dunno, having traveled around the world and having spent a lot of time in California.. I think California itself is overrated.. It's a beautiful state .. NorCal is awesome.. So is the bay area and SF .. but man, it looks unlike no other place I've been to in other states.....

There is mixed development all over... condos... mom and pop grocery.. hipsters.. arts.. culture.. dive bars .. music .. in almost every state in America.

People overhype this place alot and i find its among people who seem to have never left the state... People who least embody the 'cool' sh*t they say California has so much of.. in a sense, it's driven by ignorance and arrogance..and fear that if they left here, since they don't embody a lot of the cool sh*t that they'd be nobodies .. .They aren't the types who move to a place that is a blank canvas and constructs a beautiful painting.. They're the types that work like crazy and try to be near cool people who have... Which hey, if people want to use that to drive prices through the roof.. so be it .. LOL, i just hope no one discovers some of the places I have that are on the cheap before I buy a place =P.

Nothing stays static IMO.. I've been to places on my various breaks and I can see things building there.. Have actually bumped into lots of Californian business people who have setup shop in various places I've been to .. With it, they bring their culture and influence and seeds are planted that blossom .. Sorta indicative of this state's history... As things get too pricey, everything falls apart though.. Group think is a mother f*cker I have always found.. When I hunt for a place, I want a place that is rising in ranks and blossoming .. I don't want to overpay for an over hyped establishment that is dwindling... It's always healthy to have a mixture of income levels and that disappears when you have gentrification storming all around and every soulless uncool person moving to a place to hopefully get cool through osmosis.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 12-07-2011 at 05:35 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 05:30 PM

258 posts, read 612,830 times
San Francisco, the last 20 years, is controlled and managed by Gay men and Lesbian women and Heterosexual women. Go to Berkely, there's an old saying, the wife is driving the Hummer, the kids are shotgun, the Dog in back seat ... and the husband, in the trunk.

SF, and NE U.S.A. is home to more bossy, brutal, dominating women than anywhere in the world.

Heterosexual men in SF have turned into pathetic, whimpering man - kids.

Who Controls SF ... ?

1. Mega Rich Middle Aged Gay Men
2. Mega Powerful Hetero Women
3. Lesbian Women

Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 PM

36,630 posts, read 67,191,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
No they cram in small places and pay top dollar so they can tell everyone...
No different from NY or Boston.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,238,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
San Francisco, the last 20 years, is controlled and managed by Gay men and Lesbian women and Heterosexual women. Go to Berkely, there's an old saying, the wife is driving the Hummer, the kids are shotgun, the Dog in back seat ... and the husband, in the trunk.

SF, and NE U.S.A. is home to more bossy, brutal, dominating women than anywhere in the world.

Heterosexual men in SF have turned into pathetic, whimpering man - kids.

Who Controls SF ... ?

1. Mega Rich Middle Aged Gay Men
2. Mega Powerful Hetero Women
3. Lesbian Women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland