Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:53 PM

258 posts, read 612,402 times

Advertisements

I shoot from the hip, and I've lived in SF ...

1. You understand the truth
2. You don't like the truth
3. You can't handle the truth

Most of you are Number 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 06:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,027,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
San Francisco, the last 20 years, is controlled and managed by Gay men and Lesbian women and Heterosexual women. Go to Berkely, there's an old saying, the wife is driving the Hummer, the kids are shotgun, the Dog in back seat ... and the husband, in the trunk.

SF, and NE U.S.A. is home to more bossy, brutal, dominating women than anywhere in the world.

Heterosexual men in SF have turned into pathetic, whimpering man - kids.

Who Controls SF ... ?

1. Mega Rich Middle Aged Gay Men
2. Mega Powerful Hetero Women
3. Lesbian Women
Poe's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-07-2011, 06:03 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,489,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No different from NY or Boston.
For which, having spent time in both (especially bean town) .. think both are overrated too . Mixed use development/dense housing underscore the landscape.. my same commentary applies... I've found many times in life people don't embody cool so have to be around it to feel whole (absorb through osmosis) <- this is primarily the demand piece... The uncool people looking for cool at any price...

Some of the most expensive places in NY are the most boring for that reason ... I've found the real cool stuff to exist far from the concrete jungle of corporate buildings and manhattan condos. Some people need that 'image' ... others create it .. You can either create it through the boiler plate of struggling to afford things .. or do so w/ much less friction and more naturally .. Hollywood is much the way it is because of the boiler plate put under people's feet to survive... From it you get a lot of junk artificial b.s (do anything to get by) and sometimes you get some gems.... Too much boiler plate and you get a lot of cracked eggs (i.e - the plastic culture in hollywood ... the 'hustle' mentality found all over NY (which I personally hate) ... ) as its not natural and its created by the boiler plate conditions .. artificial competition .. Some people need a boiler plate to feel alive.. others don't...

Humans engage in a lot of group think .. Marketing works because people don't think very much ... and so, many things are overrated .. You just gotta be careful in these times as prices are 'adjusting' more towards reality.. w/ friction being so high, people are seeking less friction.. and so, as we progress out of this downturn, the landscape can look very different. My friend is into the hipster and art scene and gave me an enlightening tour on my last vacation out of CA ... I had pretty interesting convos with many long time native Californians who moved out .. who are creating blossoming scenes.. They say they love it.. the canvas was blank and cheap and allowed them to pursue dreams that they had been shut out of in CA ..

Meanwhile there are hordes of people looking at last year's advert breaking their necks to be where they heard the coolness is..Meanwhile diluting it and through gentrification driving it out .. It's all very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 12-07-2011 at 06:23 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 06:03 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,828,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I think you give him too much credit.
And i think he's quite serious ... ignorant but serious ... and something akin to a troll.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:51 PM

6,867 posts, read 8,158,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
This got old and repetitive for me after about my 2nd year here.
The parades don't change much from year to year and it seems like at just about every festival, its the same vendors and centers more on commercialization that substance .. Parades .. meh, love fest got more and more corny every year they've had it .. Until its just dead in my mind.. Doing it in the park, concert on festival island .. meh, you could just fly in for big events like that ...

Foot traffic.. meh
Tourists / Demonstration .. meh.

Shopping ... meh, i'd lump that w/ tourist exploration .. once i saw it and explored it all .. it just became meh.

I've found Farmers markets and side stores in just about every place i've been .. Not fond of the hippy like attitude that big box retailers are evil/uncool.
With an attitude like that....... meh

it sounds anything and everything.......is a, meh, to you.

meh, meh.....meh............................meh

Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
With an attitude like that....... meh

it sounds anything and everything.......is a, meh, to you.

meh, meh.....meh............................meh
He's totally over California, but won't leave, and spends a lot of time here trying to convince other people why he's over it. But he won't leave. We have a lot of those here in the California fora.

Did I mention he won't leave?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:05 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,828,191 times
what's a meh?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,672,269 times
Even if San Francisco is overrated or not, it doesn't take anything away from the city. San Francisco is actually a beautiful city and one that I don't mind visiting. To me, "overrated" means someone or a group has unrealistic expectations of the city that is not really rooted in reality.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:44 PM

36,625 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Even if San Francisco is overrated or not, it doesn't take anything away from the city. San Francisco is actually a beautiful city and one that I don't mind visiting. To me, "overrated" means someone or a group has unrealistic expectations of the city that is not really rooted in reality.
And like I said in my first post in this thread----its great to have mow your lawn and have a place for your kids, but imagine how your lifestyle is enhanced because a place like SF is a short subway ride away?

Its beyond cool.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:24 PM

457 posts, read 753,747 times
San Francisco is <insert hater word> :yawn:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland