Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:44 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,702,544 times

Advertisements

Please, SF is one of the greatest cities in the world. SF is not overrated at all. Millions of people love SF. Countless people consider SF to be the most beautiful city in America. SF is simply a magical place. And crime in SF out of control? Maybe in certain pockets here and there. But SF, as a whole, isn't nearly as ghetto, crime-ridden, depressing and scary as Baltimore, Detroit and even parts of Philly and Brooklyn (much of BK is a complete police state where you hear police sirens all night long). But I do agree that SF hella sucks if you are poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 12:45 AM

30,856 posts, read 36,763,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kurtz View Post
I shoot from the hip, and I've lived in SF ...

1. You understand the truth
2. You don't like the truth
3. You can't handle the truth

Most of you are Number 3.
That shooting from the hip part was definitely true. I'm not too sure about the rest, though

Old 12-08-2011, 12:52 AM

30,856 posts, read 36,763,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
-> hater
Overused word people like to use just because someone else doesn't overrate things like them
Well, um, you are pretty abrasive . You make some good points, but you get really annoying after a while.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:07 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,702,544 times
Quote:
If you are middle class or lower, it's sheer h___.
Wrong. SF is a great city to live if you are middle class. Look at some of the median household incomes in the Outer Sunset. Many people who live here have a household income of 50-65K a year. The median household income in the U.S. is 46K a year. Not exactly the wealthiest 1% of the American population that is hated by Occupy Wall Street lives in this SF neighborhood. If you and your significant other both make 25K a year a piece, you can easily afford to live in this neighborhood comfortably. A 25-30K a year salary is far from balling. In fact, it is the median salary in the U.S. Most areas of the Sunset are quintessentially middle class and quasi-suburban. I don't think anyone in their right mind living in this neighborhood would describe it as a ghetto hellhole.

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ncisco-CA.html

Mind you that many people who live here don't even need cars because SF has the one of the best public transit systems in the country and SF is one of the most walkable cities in America. The fact that you don't need a car living here is one of the perks that makes your buck go further in SF, which is an expensive city. My mother never had a drivers license or drove a car and lived in SF for 40+ years, many of them in the Sunset, and still managed to have a rewarding good paying career and a damn good life. Crime here in this neighborhood is also average to low for urban standards. The Sunset, in general, is not known to be a bad neighborhood by any measure. The Outer Sunset is just one example of a great middle class neighborhood in SF.

Top 10 U.S. cities for public transportation | SmartPlanet

Last edited by goldenchild08; 12-08-2011 at 01:47 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 01:10 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,491,404 times
Google's gentrification shuttle | San Francisco Bay Guardian
"And the young Google employees, many making well over $100,000 a year, who move to places like the Mission for the art and diversity, are unintentionally devastating the neighborhood they love. "

Gentrification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You Tell Us: Oakland, gentrification, and the hunt for cool – Oakland North : North Oakland News, Food, Art and Events

Like i've said .. It gets interesting when you have people moving in by the boat loads to be near cool who don't embody it and just bring money w/ them .. and w/ every body brought in, the very soul of a city is displaced .. What is so attractive about a concert when soo many people want to be there that they've even displaced space for the band?

Noses can be placed as high as they want to the sky about .. Oh its expensive because its amazing .. that very function is called gentrification and it usually destroys the soul of a place. I've lived her for 4 years and spend a lot of time all over SF.. Every year, i've found a piece of it chipped away... No more zanny fun at bay to breakers.. the yuppies don't like it..

No more unique easy times at : Bootie - SOMA - San Francisco, CA .. everyone's heard of it, the line is around the corner, and its full of yuppies..

Love fest has been neutered .. street festivals feel like repetitive ploys to get people to buy from the same vendors that show up at every culture celebration SF has..

But people want to feel good saying.. Prices are high because its soo worth it bro .. and I live in that expensive place because I can appreciate the finer things in life.
Meanwhile, the soul of a city dies.

I've seen it over just 4 years, I can't imagine what many others have experienced.
I have to take note of this when it is combined with great conversations I've had w/ former california natives that have set up shop outside of the state.

Is california still great? Yeah.. and so is SF..but be careful what you wish for when it comes to this idea that price = quality .... and scoffing at people who can't 'afford' it .. Pretty soon the only people around you will be people who can afford it and don't be surprised if they are 'looking for' that experience just like you .. from an ever diminishing set of people that deliver it.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Also, SF is a great city to live if you are middle class. Look at some of the median household incomes in the Outer Sunset. Many people who live here have a household income of 50-65K a year. The median household income in the U.S. is 46K a year. Not exactly the wealthiest 1% of the American population that is hated by Occupy Wall Street lives in this SF neighborhood.

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ncisco-CA.html

Mind you that many people who live here don't even need cars because SF has the one of the best public transit systems in the country and SF is one of the most walkable cities in America. Crime here in this neighborhood is also average to low for urban standards. The Outer Sunset is just one example of a great middle class neighborhood in SF.

Top 10 U.S. cities for public transportation | SmartPlanet
California is in the top 5 list of states in the U.S in terms of lowest home-ownership rates.. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the people are renting. Given that homes even in south Sanfrancisco are going for $400/$500k .. something tells me $50/60k aint cutting it...

Old 12-08-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Well, um, you are pretty abrasive . You make some good points, but you get really annoying after a while.
I speak a hard truth that gets at the heart of things and makes people reflect beyond surface emotions.. It 'gets' to some people.. I apologize for that.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:25 AM

6,876 posts, read 8,177,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
It's sounds like I enjoy things around the world and don't have my panties in a bunch about a place that looks like a lot of places I've been albeit cheaper. With an attitude reflecting that there is no place like sanfrancisco (mixed development), many people sound like they've never left California.
When I say there is no place like SF, I'm talking about it's history, geographical setting, abundance of original victorian architecture, and weather (for example, the way the daily fog blows in over twin peaks).

Culturally, it's been on the national scene for over half a century decades before any of the newer "hip" youth cities of today.

How can you deny the abundance of mixed development streets compared to other cities. 85% of SF is high density mixed development. Few cities outside of the NY share this level of mixed use density.

Much of SF's mixed use is in it's original footprint.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:41 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,032,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
A 35K income in SF can be frustrating, especially as you get into your 30s. Why? Because everyone else is spending money doing all those cool yuppie-ish activities that you won't be able to afford to do on that income. And having roommates gets old.
If everyone made the same salary at 40 as they did when they were 24, nobody would ever have kids or buy a house. If you get squeezed out you can always move to another city. It's why I moved to Oakland, I didn't feel like having roommates and I don't make a lot of money. But when I was younger it was fine. You do need to make 45k or more to afford a studio in SF, but plenty of people live with roommates, same with any big city.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
When I say there is no place like SF, I'm talking about it's history, geographical setting, abundance of original victorian architecture, and weather (for example, the way the daily fog blows in over twin peaks).

Culturally, it's been on the national scene for over half a century decades before any of the newer "hip" youth cities of today.

How can you deny the abundance of mixed development streets compared to other cities. 85% of SF is high density mixed development. Few cities outside of the NY share this level of mixed use density.

Much of SF's mixed use is in it's original footprint.
-> History is the past .. the present and the future are what we live in ..
-> Geography .. Hmmm, surrounded by cold water and there are lumps and hills in the roads .. Architecture .. Every place has its unique architectural influence .. meh . Weather, I didn't know cold fog was a + ...

'Culture' gets destroyed everyday yuppies move into million dollar 1,000 sq. foot condos and displace the people who have historical made San Francisco what it is ..

You didn't get the smirk in my 'mixed use' development remark .. let me clear it up .. how many thai restaurants are there that all serve thing albeit just a little differently? How much of that commercial property is nothing more than a mom and pop grocery store on the corner that happens to not sell the one thing you need? How much does density lead to insane traffic such that I can get to the west side of SF from southbay faster than someone who is on the east side of SF? I say this only because I've been all over SF .. As much as there is soo much there .. a lot of it repeats over and over again. I can only eat so much thai food .. only 2/10 actually make it the way I like it ..

I make my mixed use development remark to speak to how contrived it is and how widespread it is .. you can find it everywhere :

It's an aspect of zoning in most places... So, I reflect .. Whatever. Most of SF is just rows and rows of housing ... condos/lofs/victorian homes/apartment building w/ a restaurant underneath and a grocery store where things cost 2x more..

People create this stuff all the time :

It's nothing more than city planning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland