Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 06:16 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann304 View Post
I live in Chicago which is much much more bigger than SF but i hear its like a NYC if your walking around its downtown.

Is SF considered the Manattan of the west?

And i think its overrated cuz people make it out to be bigger than what i really is.

ANd i hear alot of tech jargin about Apple and Sony. Is SF the tech showcase capital or San Jose cuz when ever i hear a tech related broadcast on TV SF is usally in the location talked about.
"but I hear that" I take it that means you have never been to San francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 06:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
Oh this one is going to nail it remember in the early 80's Firefighters gave those stickers to kids to display on their windows so if a fire broke out they would know where they were
Okay that doesn't convince me of anything. And the first thing I asked was what schools you went to. And what years. I'm still waiting??? What side of town were you from too?

And if you are actually from here, then why do you hate this place so much, why are you attacking the natives specifically (which makes it sound like you were a transplant), and what kind of reactions do you expect from us??

Quote:
"I think this loyalty is a big problem everywhere in this country".

True, but I was speaking of family, here's an example a family member of mine was on their death bed and a close relative was living there ends up they staright up moved out and away! True story, pretty heartless the SF culture is strange that way that's one reason I'm straight up moving
Okay this sounds like your own personal family issues. Just b/c your family is messed up and disloyal does not mean that SF natives in general are. That's an ignorant blanket statement, and I personally am glad that you've left here. Please never return.

Last edited by jman650; 08-28-2009 at 06:31 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superqtip182 View Post
I've lived in LA my whole life. I live in Santa Rosa now. I've been to SF many times since the move.

LA vs. SF:

To live in? SF.

To go and visit to be entertained? For food? For ANYTHING aside from living? LA. In a heart beat.

The fact of the matter is that SF IS highly overrated. It's a great place to live, I'm sure, as it's extremely cultured... but that's it. It's a good place to live. Oh you have a movie theatre and bars for entertainment in SF? Hmm, so does everyone else. Not to mention almost everyone in that city is so pretentious. Ugh. "WE'RE BETTER THAN YOU BECAUSE WE'RE 'LIBERAL'." (btw, SFians, learn the definition of liberal already as it is not "to be a pretentious doucehbag who cares more about APPEARING compassionate than doing actual compassionate deeds")

All I can say is when I go to LA, I don't fear OTHER WHITE PEOPLE thinking that I MAY BE RACIST BECAUSE I'M WHITE. HMMMMM....

As far as I can see, SF resident aren't really any more tolerant than the rest of the country. They just happen to be heavier supporters of affirmative action... which isn't the same as tolerance.

Edit: To be honest I wouldn't live in either of them as I'm not a huge city person, but if I had to choose between the two to live NEXT TO, LA, DEFINITELY. I'm only not living down there because 1) cost, and 2) my boyfriend is also a huge hippie and has a negative perception of LA (almost totally unjustified too, as it is mostly based on perceptions shoved into his brain when he was young, LOL) and thus refuses to live there. And my relationship with him is great, so...
You're another one that I hope this region can be rid of. Haters like you make me sick. Blanket statements are the epitome of ignorance.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:52 PM

313 posts, read 676,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Okay that doesn't convince me of anything. And the first thing I asked was what schools you went to. And what years. I'm still waiting??? What side of town were you from too?

And if you are actually from here, then why do you hate this place so much, why are you attacking the natives specifically (which makes it sound like you were a transplant), and what kind of reactions do you expect from us??

Okay this sounds like your own personal family issues. Just b/c your family is messed up and disloyal does not mean that SF natives in general are. That's an ignorant blanket statement, and I personally am glad that you've left here. Please never return.
First off the Mod erased my follow-up to your question (I guess it was to blunt) second I not going to give out personal info on this site, third it's not so much hating the city because everything you could want is here it's just the people here are so airy and need to come down to plant earth! I've also lived in Los Angeles and also of course Chicago, LA does have snobs and so forth but LA also has real down to earth people. There just seems to be something in the water here I don't know it's a very strange social culture in SF. Let me ask you have you ever lived in another big city outside of California? If your a cool dude then your not who I'm speaking of but I have come across alot of people that fit this sterotype so me I'm going say how I feel.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:12 PM

94 posts, read 213,610 times
Quote:
You're another one that I hope this region can be rid of. Haters like you make me sick. Blanket statements are the epitome of ignorance.
Lol, yes let's pretend that you've never made a blanket statement before when your true intention was to express that a certain group had more than their fair share of douchebags (meaning there are quite a few, but it doesn't mean they are all douchebags).

In LA, the douchebags are a different kind of douchebag (excuse my excessive use of the word)... But that doesn't mean everyone in LA sucks.

Point being it's pretty obvious we're talking specifically about the people who suck and which kind of suckery we prefer.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
First off the Mod erased my follow-up to your question (I guess it was to blunt) second I not going to give out personal info on this site, third it's not so much hating the city because everything you could want is here it's just the people here are so airy and need to come down to plant earth! I've also lived in Los Angeles and also of course Chicago, LA does have snobs and so forth but LA also has real down to earth people. There just seems to be something in the water here I don't know it's a very strange social culture in SF. Let me ask you have you ever lived in another big city outside of California? If your a cool dude then your not who I'm speaking of but I have come across alot of people that fit this sterotype so me I'm going say how I feel.
Okay well I wasn't asking for personal info, I asked what schools you went to and what years. That's not exactly getting personal. But whatever, evade it if you must. I don't really care that much.

Personally I've found SF natives to be more down to Earth than people in most places, so I fully disagree with your view but I don't have a problem with you saying that has been your experience. I have a problem with you trying to tell us that most of my kind sucks. 90% or more of the snobs in SF are transplants; the majority of the natives came from a blue-collar background. So your claim there seems pretty outrageous to me. But again, if that has been your experience I won't argue. Just don't state it as though it is fact b/c it is far from being so.

I've noticed many strong opinions of SF, both for and against it, but they almost always have come from outsiders. This city really seems to either touch peoples' hearts or get under their skin. Opinions run extreme in either direction, for whatever reason I cannot fathom. The only people that seem to think SF is just "okay" are those who are disappointed from expecting too much as a result of hype. For me there is no hype, its just the city that both sides of my family have lived in and around for generations (5 on one side and 4 on the other), and it is the city that I love.

But I don't expect everyone to feel the same, so I don't have a problem with certain people not caring for it. I do have a problem with people talking trash though, especially when their trash talk ends up including me and mine. So I respect your opinion on what you've experienced, but if you're projecting your family's issues unto the native populace here I find that offensive and I will speak up. You don't think we're down to Earth, then that's fine. But don't expect people to not react when you blanket us and talk trash.

If you're talking about transplants (like your pal here who came to your rescue) then I'm with you to a certain degree. But hating on the natives the way you've been is offensive.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Lol, yes let's pretend that you've never made a blanket statement before when your true intention was to express that a certain group had more than their fair share of douchebags (meaning there are quite a few, but it doesn't mean they are all douchebags).

In LA, the douchebags are a different kind of douchebag (excuse my excessive use of the word)... But that doesn't mean everyone in LA sucks.

Point being it's pretty obvious we're talking specifically about the people who suck and which kind of suckery we prefer.
You're going to talk about douchebags as though you're removing yourself from that category while at the same time presuming to know my history of communication?? Talk about ironic.

Fyi, I make it a point to avoid blanketing entire groups when my intention is to target a specific faction of said group b/c its idiotic and lazy to blanket people. Why do you think racial stereotypes are so offensive?? They happen often in reality, but any non-retarded adult knows not to generalize b/c its ignorant. So don't come at me like you know anything about me. You're just making a bigger fool of yourself than you already have in doing so.

That being said, if you can find a way to possibly refrain from being offensive in the near future maybe we can discuss things like we're over the age of 12.

"Oh you have a movie theatre and bars for entertainment in SF? Hmm, so does everyone else."

Did people here actually tell you that SF was a special place b/c it had these things? If everywhere else has the same stuff SF has then nowhere is particularly special, don't ya think?

"Not to mention almost everyone in that city is so pretentious."

This is like me saying that almost everyone in LA is either a blonde airhead with fake boobs or a surfer dude. Haven't you grown tired of false generalizations like that by people who aren't from CA? I know I have. I guess I should be thankful you didn't claim everyone here was gay like other meatheads do. But I dwell in the Excelsior District and surrounding neighborhoods. Why don't you cruise by Balboa High School and tell me how many pretentious teens you come across.

I'm not saying there aren't a ton of pretentious people in the City, but its not close to EVERYONE and the VAST majority of them are transplants. Many of which come from SoCal, so you can really blame your own brethren for that aspect of SF city life. I grew up in the 80's and 90's and I guarantee you that "pretentious" was not a word that came to mind to describe most of what I saw in the City. That's a newer phenomenon, and its one that I abhor. If you spend all your time in the Marina, Pac Heights and Hayes Valley, then yes, there is a ton of pretentious people. If you spent any time on the south, east or west sides of the City, you won't come across it a whole lot. Where the native population dwells, there is a lot less of this attitude. And I'd appreciate it if you guys learned how to differentiate.

Your other comments regarding the ultra-libs or the perceived "tolerance" of SF bring up another peeve of mine. I cannot STAND how we're expected by the outside world to live up to this contrived persona that were stigmatized with. Yes, it is a progressive city. Yes, Bush is highly unpopular here (as he is in most of the nation). Yes, we do aim to be more tolerant. These were things that were great about this city when they were becoming a reality here before they were anywhere else, like the Harvey Milk era in gay rights. But people have oversold this city as being so far in these directions that outside idealists have flocked here and made it a partial reality, and things have gotten out of hand.

Most of the vegans and critical mass cyclists and other protesters/activists have come from elsewhere and invaded here making this a mecca of all of those and more. We were very excepting in the past, but the expectations people seem to have are unrealistic. People have gotten this idea of what it is to be "San Francisco" and they expect everyone here to be on the same page, whatever page that may be. And then when it doesn't live up to the expectations of people such as yourself, all of a sudden its "not any more tolerant than the rest of the country" blah blah blah. No kidding! What did you expect?? It actually is more tolerant than most places, but not to the extent people elsewhere seem to think. And blaming us for it being overrated is idiotic. I've never oversold SF to anyone and painted these false pictures, nor has anyone else I know. People get these ideas from stereotypes, which you seem to enjoy using so I'm not surprised you're one of the disappointed transplants that I imagined d-iron to be.

I don't personally care for the mega ultra liberals who are not accepting of differing points of view. They're hypocrites. Especially those who feel superior b/c they are liberal. I don't care for anyone's views that are too far in any one direction to compromise or respect the next person's differing views. Those you've described as feeling that they're better than others are largely from elsewhere, I promise you. I can't stand them either. That's why I don't really mind when people have some negative criticism of SF, b/c I do as well. But I'm not trying to be included in that criticism, and I don't appreciate the opinions of people who are hell-bent on bashing this place. So if you don't differentiate between those who suck and those who don't, it will offend all of us. Got it??

Old 08-31-2009, 12:16 PM

94 posts, read 213,610 times
Quote:
Fyi, I make it a point to avoid blanketing entire groups when my intention is to target a specific faction of said group b/c its idiotic and lazy to blanket people.
As do most people. However, occasionally, people accidentally don't pay attention to their words. Because I KNOW that a lot of people are GOOD people and that people make mistakes, I usually assume that blanket statements were not meant to be so blanket. And I'm sorry, but I 100% do not believe that you have never made an accidental blanket statement. Everyone has at least once in their life.

Quote:
This is like me saying that almost everyone in LA is either a blonde airhead with fake boobs or a surfer dude. Haven't you grown tired of false generalizations like that by people who aren't from CA? I know I have. I guess I should be thankful you didn't claim everyone here was gay like other meatheads do. But I dwell in the Excelsior District and surrounding neighborhoods. Why don't you cruise by Balboa High School and tell me how many pretentious teens you come across.
Quite frankly, I don't really care. Not only do I realize many blanket statements don't have the intention of being blanket, but also, I tend to not really be offended by them if they don't apply to me and/or they aren't true. So even if my intention had really been to say "most people in SF are like this," if I were you, I really wouldn't have cared. Why do you care so much if it's not true? Just so you know, I don't walk in to SF looking to meet a pretentious person. I don't judge people there and automatically assume they're pretentious without talking to them first. There's quite a difference between having expectations and living your life BASED on your expectations.

Quote:
Fyi, I make it a point to avoid blanketing entire groups when my intention is to target a specific faction of said group b/c its idiotic and lazy to blanket people.
My point was simply that while there may be stuff to do (like see movies and go out drinking) there is nothing in SF that makes it more worth traveling to than another big city because there's really nothing THAT exciting. Ok, the Golden Gate, gee, that's like a 2 hour activity, tops. The new California Academy of Science sucks balls. The Exploratorium is cool, but I've seen much better. There's a Ripley's in like every city. The zoo is TERRIBLE.

Quote:
Your other comments regarding the ultra-libs or the perceived "tolerance" of SF bring up another peeve of mine. I cannot STAND how we're expected by the outside world to live up to this contrived persona that were stigmatized with.
No one is expecting you to be ultra tolerant. People just don't like the (as in not everyone, just THE, because I know if I make a "blanket" statement, you'll probably cry and change the subject) pretentious ****s who ACT like they're more tolerant when in reality they are not.

Quote:
So if you don't differentiate between those who suck and those who don't, it will offend all of us. Got it??
Sure, I got it. You're illogical and overemotional and don't think about people's intentions.

And do yourself a favor while you're on the internet today and look up the word "hyperbole."

Thanks <3

Last edited by Wendy97; 08-31-2009 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-31-2009, 12:27 PM

313 posts, read 676,691 times
Quote:

I'm from the southern part of the city the working class part.

The reason why all the attacks is because this is the only city where it's been difficult to form deep personal bonds with people and I've lived in several other parts of the country.

I used my family as an example because I've heard other stories from other people that people (including family) in California are fair-weathered and it's true!

You still have not answered me when I asked if you have lived in any other cities outside of California?

Old 08-31-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
As do most people. However, occasionally, people accidentally don't pay attention to their words. Because I KNOW that a lot of people are GOOD people and that people make mistakes, I usually assume that blanket statements were not meant to be so blanket. And I'm sorry, but I 100% do not believe that you have never made an accidental blanket statement. Everyone has at least once in their life.
So that's how you're going to go about this, by copping out? Yes, sometimes people don't pay attention to their words in the heat of the moment, but you took the time to write out your ignorant thoughts and had the option of editing them if they didn't come out right. You made ignorant blanket statements and I responded to them. Don't try and act as though I'm in the wrong for finding your generalizations to be offensive. You're the one who spoke ignorantly here, not I. Making excuses doesn't change that fact, so deal with it.

And I'm sorry, but I 100% do not care what you believe. You've already solidified the fact that your opinion means nothing to me, so why would what you believe make any difference to me? And I didn't even claim to have never for a moment in my life made any mistakes; you're twisting what I'm saying and taking it out of context. Your approach to dealing with having "made a mistake" as you've acknowledged you've done here is to be like, "well I don't know you from Adam but I'm sure you've done it before too!" Wow, you're really a class act!

Quote:
Quite frankly, I don't really care. Not only do I realize many blanket statements don't have the intention of being blanket, but also, I tend to not really be offended by them if they don't apply to me and/or they aren't true. So even if my intention had really been to say "most people in SF are like this," if I were you, I really wouldn't have cared. Why do you care so much if it's not true? Just so you know, I don't walk in to SF looking to meet a pretentious person. I don't judge people there and automatically assume they're pretentious without talking to them first. There's quite a difference between having expectations and living your life BASED on your expectations.
Why does anyone care so much if someone calls their mother a ***** if its not true? B/c its offensive and insulting, genius! Is this seriously too advanced for you? No wonder you don't fit in here in SF.

I didn't only react to you stating "all" people in SF are a certain way, I also pointed out that YOU don't know enough people in SF to make that assessment. I guarantee I know more people in SF than you do, and many are not like that at all. So your comments were dumb and I let you know that. I don't care what you actually think, but I found what you said to be offensive. You spoke on a forum, and so did I. Let me ask you something, why do you care so much about how I'm responding to your comments? Why do you care so much about trying to prove that d-iron is a native? And as I've already asked earlier, why do you believe that he's a native when you think that so many are pretentious? He wasn't pretentious, so why are you so convinced? I'm pretty sure its just b/c he was speaking negatively and you felt you had a comrade that you could join to bash this place.

Like I said, there's a whole other half or more of the City that your descriptions do not apply to.

And just so you'll know, my problem isn't with the negative opinions some people have of this place. Its the repetition of the same negativity that gets tiresome. So I don't care what you personally think, I just don't care to hear your opinion nor do I appreciate where you are coming from with it.

Quote:
My point was simply that while there may be stuff to do (like see movies and go out drinking) there is nothing in SF that makes it more worth traveling to than another big city because there's really nothing THAT exciting. Ok, the Golden Gate, gee, that's like a 2 hour activity, tops. The new California Academy of Science sucks balls. The Exploratorium is cool, but I've seen much better. There's a Ripley's in like every city. The zoo is TERRIBLE.
The same could be said of any city if you want to be pessimistic. I was completely unimpressed by NYC on my first visit there. It felt like nothing more than a giant version of here. I held everything to too high of a standard b/c of how much everyone hyped everything up over there and found nothing there that I couldn't get back here my first time around. Does that mean it somehow isn't special or that it doesn't have more than that to offer? See, I can use hyperbole too!

I could go to Venice Beach and be like, "Oh wow, big deal. We have Baker Beach, Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz back home which are just the same," if I wanted to look at things the way you are. You're just a hater, plain and simple. You've said nothing of substance here to make me think you'll have anything worth saying, so there's really no point in dealing with you beyond letting you know how lame you're coming across.

And if you think the new California Academy of Science sucks then we definitely agree to disagree b/c I think they did a great job with it. The Exploratorium is mainly for kids, but I'm not at all surprised that you claim to have "seen better," of course without naming a single place. You've simply decided to despise this place and that's fine. You're opinion is moot since its decidedly always negative.

Quote:
No one is expecting you to be ultra tolerant. People just don't like the (as in not everyone, just THE, because I know if I make a "blanket" statement, you'll probably cry and change the subject) pretentious ****s who ACT like they're more tolerant when in reality they are not.
Nor do I. They suck, just like how people that consistently spew out hate do. But people (like you) assume too much about the City and then whine about it when it doesn't prove to be the utopia that people think it to be. They get hit with reality (like how it has bars and hotels and a Ripley's JUST LIKE EVERYWHERE ELSE!!!), and then rant about how its nothing special. Heaven forbid that someone suggest something else positive about the City to you, for it likely will cause you to cry to us all more about how much distaste you have for everything San Francisco. And then you'll follow up by blaming the rest of us for thinking you'd actually meant everything.

What parts of what you say do you actually mean btw?

Quote:
Sure, I got it. You're illogical and overemotional and don't think about people's intentions.

And do yourself a favor while you're on the internet today and look up the word "hyperbole."

Thanks <3
To the contrary. I'm very conscious of your intentions here and I made the mistake of giving you the benefit of the doubt that you might actually have had something worth saying. I now know better. You're bitter and spiteful, so your commentary will really only have one underlying theme in regard to SF.

And do yourself a favor while you're on the internet today and look up the word "pessimist."

Thanks <3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland