Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 AM

6,409 posts, read 8,252,517 times

Advertisements

So you've lived in a terrible neighborhood somewhere in East Oakland since the 80s, but now you're suddenly ready to move?

And what's racist about reporting crime? Unless you're insinuating that all these crimes were committed by non-white people- which I think you are...

Old 05-12-2012, 09:48 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,186,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappedincalifornia View Post
Oops, forgot to mention the child prostitutes. We live near International Blvd and girls still walk the streets here. In about 03-04 I woke up one night to hear a female crying, threw caution to the wind and slipped out my front door to see what was going on, I really did think someone was hurt. It was a very young prostitute and her pimp. Pimp had 3 cars parked on side of my house waiting for the girls services. I was so angry I went out in my robe and confronted him. He pulled a gun and told me to go back inside now, which I did. Called the po-po, but it took them 45 minutes to show up and by that time girl, pimp, johns were all gone. Cops told me not to pull a stunt like that again if I wanted to keep living. Came home at sunset on night 3 years ago and found car blocking my driveway with about 14 year old girl turning trick with 50 year old man. Call me a racist if you want, but I feel sorry for these young girls and am disgusted and saddened by this. What young girl wants to have sex with guy old enough to be their father?
Yeah -- a few years back, I heard banging on my house, got ticked off and marched outside to find a hooker using it to service a client. I read her the riot act and never again...

By the way, if you didn't use your house like an ATM, you shouldn't be underwater and can get a decent rent for your place to at least make it break even if not make a little dough...

I hate to say it, as the last thing we need is more absentee landlords, but there are property management companies that will manage your house for you and you can leave.

There's nothing worse than feeling trapped. Best of luck to you...

Old 05-12-2012, 12:41 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,219,022 times
Time for another reality check for the doom and gloom people.

OMG OAKLAND IS SOOO BADDD SO MUCH CRIME AND VIOLENCE ITS THE WORST PLACE EVERRRR...oh wait, the following all happened in San Francisco, not Oakland:

-Friday Night Shootings Kill Two In San Francisco: News: SFAppeal
-Motive In Fatal SOMA Stabbing Remains Unknown: News: SFAppeal
-Man Robbed, Beaten With Baseball Bat: News: SFAppeal
-Stabbing In Station Briefly Closes 24th Street BART Friday Morning: News: SFAppeal
-Three women had their purses — or the contents — pilfered and a man lost his cellphone in separate robberies
-Man viciously beaten with baseball bat in Bayview | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Boy critically injured, 2 others hurt in crash | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-The “year of the knife” continues as two blade-wielding suspects wreak havoc in San Francisco crimes
-10-person bar brawl sends two to hospital | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-14-year-old wounded in Bayview drive-by shooting | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Greedy goons punch, slash and rob victim | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Woman chases down thieves after robbery | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Armed crook fills his own prescription for drug fever | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Angry man challenges ticketing officer to brawl in Noe Valley | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Tunnel thieves make man drop call, phone | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner

And that's just some stuff from the past week. So where are the hyperbolic whiners when it comes to crime in SF?

I might as well post some stuff from the previous couple weeks in SF too, to drive the point home:

-Suspect held in potato-peeler mugging | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-From civic to horrific: Woman flees violent car-invasion robbery | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-San Francisco homicides rise to 20 after man dies in Potrero Hill shooting | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Car full of women big on ‘borrowing’ cellphones
-Gun-waving hooligan steals man's backpack
-Burglars wake-up haul gives pair morning blues
-Steak knife allegedly used to settle beef | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Crime briefs: Stabbing, bank robberies and books thrown at cops | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Two crooks hit the roof for foolproof escape | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Six teens robbed at gunpoint by weed-seeking crook | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Crooks slash and stab across city | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Three sought after violent homophobic attacks | Mike Aldax | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Smoke in the park leads to beating, robbery | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Walk to meet girlfriend ends with robbery at gunpoint | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Bank-robbing hoods stick to neighborhood | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Muni rider stabbed in hand with fork after dispute | Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner
-Shameful shenanigans - Two people in their 60s were assaulted and one of them was robbed in crimes over the weekend| Rob Nagle | Law and Disorder | San Francisco Examiner

Last edited by rah; 05-12-2012 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 01:06 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappedincalifornia View Post
Have lived in Oakland since mid 80's, currently own home in East Oakland and my neighborhood is filled with crime. Within last month 3 of my neighbors robbed, 2 right across the street from me. Two months ago neighbor went out to get in his car in the morning snd found body of a naked, dead woman at the curb. Don't think she was killed here, but was dumped here sometime duri g the night. 17 year old shot and killed in front of my house 8 years ago and the SWAT team has deployed on my front lawn twice since 2000. The first time was when they came to take down the drug house behind us, we were so happy! Theft is big problem here, one day my husband asked me to come to the fro t yard with him. He pointed to place in front yard where we had 3 large flowering bushes growing and asked why the middle one was missing. I had no idea and said, it was a huge bush, you would need a shovel to dig that up. Went to our shed in the backyard and sure enough our shovel was gone too. They even stole the wreath off my front door. We have now completely fenced our yard and all gates are locked although we did catch a guy climbing over our fence at 4am one night so now we have 2 pit bulls, they keep problem people away. Drugs drive a lot of the theft, people will do very bad things to get that drug, very sad. The person who started this thread will probably say I am a racist for telling our experiences, that is the stock answer here if you complain about the crime. The word racist has been thrown around do much here it really doesn't mean much to me anymore, it just means the person saying it has no good argument so they call you a racist to shut you up. Personally, I hope a lot of new folks move to Oakland and soon too. We would really like to sell our house, any takers?
I don't even know why this is being debated. The reason people ask if it's safe in Oakland is because the city is constantly in the headlines for being... umm, a dangerous place?

If you see this on your local or national news:

Are you really just going to ignore it? It's not people bashing the city, some people can tolerate burning police cars and rioters in downtown, some can't.

But when you see a city that resembles a war zone, with rioters just running rampant, tear gas being fired into crowds, rubber bullets flying everywhere, pregnant women being thrown to the ground, then add the fact that you have to deal with the super corrupt Oakland PD (which is woefully undermanned these days), then who can blame people for having some pause and hesitation about Oakland?

Why not start a "rant" about why people don't think Kabul, Afghanistan is a safe place to raise a family?

Last edited by DocGoldstein; 05-12-2012 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 03:29 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,219,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I don't even know why this is being debated. The reason people ask if it's safe in Oakland is because the city is constantly in the headlines for being... umm, a dangerous place?

If you see this on your local or national news:

Are you really just going to ignore it? It's not people bashing the city, some people can tolerate burning police cars and rioters in downtown, some can't.

But when you see a city that resembles a war zone, with rioters just running rampant, tear gas being fired into crowds, rubber bullets flying everywhere, pregnant women being thrown to the ground, then add the fact that you have to deal with the super corrupt Oakland PD (which is woefully undermanned these days), then who can blame people for having some pause and hesitation about Oakland?

Why not start a "rant" about why people don't think Kabul, Afghanistan is a safe place to raise a family?
You act as if violent protests/violent police responses to said protests have never happened anywhere else in America.

And Oakland does not at all resemble a warzone. Try again.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
You act as if violent protests/violent police responses to said protests have never happened anywhere else in America.

And Oakland does not at all resemble a warzone. Try again.
That's not my point, I never said Oakland was the ONLY place where riots take place, but I'm not surprised you, rah, are trying again to take the discussion on some meaningless tangent because it seems like you intentionally obfuscate the point when it comes to Oakland.

The OP said they are tired of basically the way Oakland is perceived as a dangerous place.

I'm not saying Oakland is dangerous all over, all the time, but you can't sit there and act like that perception of danger "came from nowhere", because it didn't. Oakland has the highest violent crime rate in the state. That's a large part of why Oakland is seen as dangerous, not because "people are making stuff up about the city."

As for Oakland not looking like a war zone, that I guess is a matter of opinion, the people participating in the riots certainly see it as war:

Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 AM

79 posts, read 196,872 times
funny thing, just yesterday I had "History Channel" on tv and my kids were watching "Gang Wars - Oakland" I believe was the name of the show. My son went "Dad, isn't that where we're moving???" -- even though my Job will be out in Fremont, it's called 'Oakland Center'. I wanted to see his reaction, so I answered "yes" with a straight face...he had an "oh crap" look in his eyes...poor kid.

I just had to share it...sorry if it's out of topic.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:28 PM

14,651 posts, read 14,575,727 times
One difference between SF and Oakland, perception-wise, is when the local media (especially the Chronicle) report a major crime in San Francisco, it's always named by neighborhood, and in Oakland, it's only reported as "Oakland". This gives the average person the perception the entire city of Oakland is dangerous, while only certain areas of SF are dangerous.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:33 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,808,195 times
Mr. Fantastic's latest Oaktown obsession is nearing legendary status.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:52 PM

6,409 posts, read 8,252,517 times
nearing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland