Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 PM

6,400 posts, read 8,227,172 times

Advertisements

They look a lot more uniform(especially Stockton) than Oakland which has clusters of concentrated crime, namely parts of West Oakland and large swaths of East Oakland.

Are you suggesting that Fresno and Stockton have comparable areas to Oakland's highly desirable areas? If so, that's pretty rich.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,814,607 times
The only thing I'm suggesting is that there are no major cities with uniform crime, which is a verifiable fact. No one who has posted in this thread recently has tried to make that claim because it's simply ludicrous.

btw, Stockton only looks uniform in certain areas because it has very large rural areas nearly devoid of crime, not because of crime.

Oakland's crime map does reveal that large portions of the city do have a lot of crime.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

That map shows that roughly 30%-40% of the city has moderate-high crime. While not uniform, that is a large part of the city. It should be noted that Neighborhood Scout recently updated all of their stats with 2013 statistics as well. Oakland's crime index is now ranked 1, which is the highest rank on the site.

Last edited by Yac; 02-19-2014 at 07:25 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 01:07 PM

What exactly is your point? I've said numerous times that about 1/3 of Oakland is really rough, 1/3 is mixed, and the other 1/3 is very safe and highly desirable. If you're trying to convince me that Oakland has issues with crime, I'm sorry, but everybody who lives here knows this. Do you enjoy pointing out the obvious? We also know which areas to avoid, and somehow most of us manage to live a great life without ever becoming a statistic.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:09 PM

I don't know about you, but 30% to 40% of a cities land area is a lot. The original point of this thread was to discuss an issue with people "asking if Oakland is safe?" There's an assumption that they aren't born and bred Oaklanders who have lived in the city since they suckled a bottle, they just want to know more about the city as an outsider.

Can you blame them? I don't. It seems the aggressive and temperamental responses to that question are uncalled for. It's not really painting a great picture of the residents either.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:19 PM

You are really caught up on this yes/no binary of safety. The world isn't as black and white as you think it is. Is Oakland safe? The answer is that it depends entirely on where you are, and the same can be said of many large US cities. If crime and urban problems make you uncomfortable, you simply have no business living in a city like Oakland, or any other city for that matter. Numerous posters and I continually tout neighborhoods like Rockridge, Piedmont Ave, Jack London Square, Montclair, parts of Grand Lake, etc for being SAFE, nice neighborhoods, while advising people to stay clear of bad areas like Deep East Oakland. You really seem to be obsessed with a city hundreds of miles away from you.mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-15-2014 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: knock it off

Old 02-14-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
You are really caught up on this yes/no binary of safety. The world isn't as black and white as you think it is.
What? I've argued the exact opposite. Have you not been reading? I've said numerous times that crime is not uniform in any city. I don't know how much more clear I can make my opinion on crime. Yes dude, we KNOW! Crime in Oakland isn't uniformly distributed, but people have a right to ask about the cities safety because the city obviously has a huge crime problem, statistically the worst in California. Do you really blame people for asking that question? That's more weird to me than anything else.

You seem to think I'm bashing Oakland, or are trying to pigeon hole me onto one side of some invented, fantasy, argument that doesn't even exist. How can I be obsessed discussing Oakland? This thread is about Oakland! Wouldn't it be weird if I came into this thread and discussed an entirely different city like Sioux Falls? Yeah it would be weird right? So that's why I'm talking about Oakland, you know, the city for which this entire thread was created for. That's not obsession by any definition, that's called staying on topic. If I go into a thread about Irvine, or Long Beach, and talk about those cities, is that obsession as well? You have a very weird definition for obsession. I don't live in those cities, gee, is it against the rules for me to discuss any city where I don't live? You've never done that before? Talk about a city where you don't actually have a place of residence? Is that the City-data standard now for discussions? I'm getting so confused by these rules you have invented.

Why are you so defensive? Relax man, it's the internet, not everyone is "against" you and the City of Oakland. I'm sure it's a great city, and I hope things get better in the future. Don't hate me because of this. We're just having a discussion right? Anyway have your Oakland thread back, us mere non-Oakland residents apologize for even commenting in a thread about a city where we don't even live. What were we thinking? Peace in the middle east and all that jazz.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 02-15-2014 at 05:09 AM..

Old 02-15-2014, 05:09 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,209,729 times
Thread closed temporarily due to constant, consistent bickering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland