Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:45 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Well, not really a 'poll'--more of a discussion.

The pro-recall side is quite excited about it but Im not even close to being convinced that Jean Quan has done anything bad enough to warrant removing her from office.

What do you think?

And why...(please).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 11:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I am really disappointed in Quan as a Mayor. Two reasons:
1. She doesn't really like to make decisions. She is a great cheerleader.
2. She hasn't hired people she wants to/trusts/or wants to give authority to to make decisions. And she seems like she will throw you under the bus if the decision doesn't work well.

She is all talk, limited action and therefore in my book she is a terrible MAyor.

The problem with the recall is:
1. Who will take her place
2. Considering the history of the council, will they have an opportunity to be successful and manage the politics.

So I am mixed. I'd like a stronger mayor who isn't affraid to take action, but I don't see a candidate in the wings.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:56 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Who ya gonna replace her with though...

Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 AM

Also jade408, what has she done that is so bad compared to other mayors who preceded her that warrant an official recall effort but not her predecesors? Its not like she inherited Shangri La and put in the toilet---no, things have largely remained the same except Oakland along with the rest of the nation is in economic hard times and like other places, crime is inching up.

I will agree that cheerleading without doing anything amounts to the biblical equivalent of Faith without Works is dead.

We need a mayor who is a cut throat negotiator who be a positive force for economic expansion. To me that is our top priority-jobs and economic development-more important to me than both crime and schools. Not that those issues are not of paramount importance, but I believe growing our economy is still our top priority. She wants to do that. I have seen it in her support of several major projects around town.

Im not saying that Im a huge fan cause Im not really, but I dont think a recall at this point in time is really going to solve anything.

It seems to me that the OCCUPY people are the ones pushing this the most ardently and there is just no discourse to be had with them. I was at Trader Joe's the other day and 2 of them collecting signatures for the recall got very irrate when I told them that I felt their recall effort was a waste of time, does not solve any problems and takes attention away from the issues.

Their response to me totally revolved around the actions by the OPD during the OCCUPY tear gas incident.

Im sorry but that's not the only thing I think of.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:20 AM

What kills me is that there are 3 distinct recall efforts. The Make Oakland Better Now group has been talking recall since before Occupy, over the summer at least. I don't know the history of the other people. These fractured recall efforts are not helping the cause.

I didn't support Quan generally, and she hasn't done anything to sway my opinion since she started. She is very visible, I see her at ever possible PR opportunity. But frankly, I don't know if we can handle another 3 years of a useless mayor.

This would mean we have been dealing with 8 years or ineffective mayors at a critical juncture for the city (when everyone is watching).

But I can't support a recall if a suitable candidate isn't available.

My problem with Quan is I see no evidence she has done anything. She handled the budget poorly. Her proposal to raise new funds was pointless as no one was accountable to how the money would be used, etc. So I feel like we are treading water. I also do not see any evidence that she has a concrete actionable plan, strategy or list of goals for the city.

Although she hasn't done anything horrible, she hasn't done anything of note and there doesn't seem to be a plan in the pipeline to help us gauge her effectiveness.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Also jade408, what has she done that is so bad compared to other mayors who preceded her that warrant an official recall effort but not her predecesors?
I think the recall effort for Dellums never got off the ground, but the talk also started 2 years into his term, so it is too late to do anything.

And effort to recall Quan has a little more hope, as the new Mayor, provided the signatures are collected by spring, would complete half a term. But considering the city's finances, and the wasteful election we just completed, it without a solid improvement, it could be money wasted.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
What kills me is that there are 3 distinct recall efforts.
Yes, Terrence Candell and others are just rabid about it--I dont know why the special hostility towards Quan as if she is sooo much worse than her predecesors.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, Terrence Candell and others are just rabid about it--I dont know why the special hostility towards Quan as if she is sooo much worse than her predecesors.
I think people are just like ENOUGH! I am sick of ineffective mayors. And Quan happens to be in that hot seat at the wrong time.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think people are just like ENOUGH! I am sick of ineffective mayors. And Quan happens to be in that hot seat at the wrong time.
That I can understand.

But I think its only been 1 year and she had enough time to make the changes she's promised.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 PM

I would get off of the recall bandwagon is any of her plans had the level of detail and thought that I would expect for the mayor, but she hasn't proven it yet. Her plans are not any more detailed than what you would expect out of a puff piece for an campaign. And that for me is deeply concerning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland