Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,136 times

Advertisements

Hi here,
I have question about San Francisco.
I am a writer for a major financial magazine publication. Currently, I am doing a story for the magazine on youngster and money. My cover story is on the average highest income per capita, for people under the age of 30. So, it’s on the 20-something kids/youngsters who make the most money in this country. Now, after my team did an in depth research around the country we found out that San Francisco ranks number # 5 on the list. So, SF on average has the 5th highest income for people under the age of 30. Now, I was in SF last week to do some field research on this, but something came up and I had to cut my trip short. So, I will be back after the holiday to finish my research for my story piece. The thing that really surprised me about SF is how different it is compared to the top 4 cities on the list. From what I saw, I found SF to be a very “hipster” and "artsy" type of town. Now, I have a question on this forum I am hoping all of you locals in the SF and Bay Area can help me with. Where in SF, which part or district, or part of a district/neighborhood, will you find the traditional old money in youngsters (20s-something). What I mean is which part of SF will you find your traditional All American guys and girls. I am referring to the youngsters that are preppy, the WASPs (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant), well educated, clean cut, very affluent. For example for the young guys, they will be clean cut (no tattoos, no earrings….etc), they will be wearing things like Ralph Lauren polo, Lactose, Burberry……..etc. They will have nice cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, or in some cases Porsche, Bentley), and they will enjoy activities like golf, polo, tennis swimming. For the young 20-something ladies, they will also be clean (no tattoos), presentable/attractive and they will be shopping at Barney’s or Neimans or Saks in your union square in SF. You will see them with their Louis Vitton or Gucci hand bags. They will also be well brought up and educated.
Now the top 4 cities on our list, these type of 20-something youngsters are very easy to find. Now where in San Francisco would find this kind of crowd? Which part/neighborhood /district in SF would you find these kinds of people? All your comments on the forum are welcome and I would appreciate as many responses as I can get. It will really help me out. ………..
Many thanks to all you locals in SF for helping me out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
San Francisco isn't really like that.

The closest thing to that sort of lifestyle would be in Pacific Heights or the Marina District which is where the mansions and old money are. But other than that, most people in that age range with money tend to be blow-ins from other places here for the tech industry and don't specifically hang out in a particular neighborhood.

Last edited by clongirl; 12-20-2011 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 AM

330 posts, read 749,701 times
Perhaps you should report on what you observed rather than what you were hoping to see? Isn't that a basic tenant of journalism? I mean this as constructive criticism.

Anyway, I agree that you are going to have a tough time finding the kind of scene you are looking for. In the Marina you might find some frat-guy types but its nothing like you'll see in a place like Georgetown in DC (with the sweaters, boat-shoes, polos, etc...). Walk on a Sunday down the nicer parts of Polk St, Fillmore, Chestnut or Union and you *might* find what you are looking for. But in general, I find that most of the younger people making the big bucks dress the same and hang out in the same dive bars as the baristas, artists, social workers, etc...it can be tough to pick out the software engineer making $100k from the waiter making $35k. In my experience most of the 20 somethings in SF don't really care much for "being seen," at least in comparison to other major cities. The focus is more on being yourself and enjoying the city. Its a very casual atmosphere.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Pacific Heights, the Marina, Russian Hill, etc. But most old money douchebags here are old, and most new money douchebags are young to middle-aged. Especially for younger people here, I think wealthy people blend in more with the surrounding plebs because dressing up isn't that common--yoga pants and a fleece are pretty standard for rich people and lower middle class people. And people don't really flaunt their douchemobiles on the street because there's nowhere to park them.

Plus a lot of young people who are making "good money" are maybe making like $80,000 a year and working long hours, maybe around 125k if they're a young associate at a big law firm. It's good money for someone just out of college but it only goes so far in SF. You don't really see too many 24 year old "senior vice president" douche guys making high 6 figures like you do somewhere like NYC.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Most affluent people in SF are "working millionaires." They earn their money from income and their salary (or stock options). It wasn't inherited, so they are busy hustling like the rest of us.

The WASP-y scene isn't very visible here. If you ever look at the society pages, you'll find most people are business people, with a handful of old money types at any "important" social event.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 AM

622 posts, read 1,146,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
Perhaps you should report on what you observed rather than what you were hoping to see? Isn't that a basic tenant of journalism? I mean this as constructive criticism.
That's what I'm thinking too. Report what you see. San Francisco isn't Connecticut.

However, as others have said Pac Heights, Russian Hill, etc are the areas where you might find folks like that. The trust fund babies I know run under deep cover. You'd never know that they come from money and they prefer it that way. You're not going to see them dressed like that.

Some people who have pied-a-terre situations in the city but have residences in outlying areas in the Peninsula or elsewhere. I only know one or so people like that though.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:59 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Actually the "old money" hereditary wealthsters are more likely to be Trustafarians than preppies. The preppies are more of the new money. A couple weeks ago you'd have found the old money in a stinky disgusting protest camp at the Embarcadero.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:05 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
That's easy, they in the MARINA / COW HOLLOW! And they're not that hard to find.

A tip: don't use the bar/restaurant scene on Union St and Chestnut St. as a guide, many patrons are visitors from outside the neighborhood.

The Safeway on Marina Blvd, the 24-Hour Gym across from Safeway, joggers around Marina Green, and people who hang out at the baseball field on Bay St are more indicative of local Marinians. Beware though, more than a few of them do have tattoos, they're hidden underneath the sleek dark Burberry...

Old 12-20-2011, 12:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson_Rob View Post
What I mean is which part of SF will you find your traditional All American guys and girls. I am referring to the youngsters that are preppy, the WASPs (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant), well educated, clean cut, very affluent. For example for the young guys, they will be clean cut (no tattoos, no earrings….etc), they will be wearing things like Ralph Lauren polo, Lactose, Burberry……..etc. They will have nice cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus, or in some cases Porsche, Bentley), and they will enjoy activities like golf, polo, tennis swimming. For the young 20-something ladies, they will also be clean (no tattoos), presentable/attractive and they will be shopping at Barney’s or Neimans or Saks in your union square in SF. You will see them with their Louis Vitton or Gucci hand bags. They will also be well brought up and educated.
Is it just me or do you get either a KKK or homosexual vibe from this. Either that or a Kennel Club vibe..."check out the teeth and haunches on this breed...very presentable!" Doesn't sound like a magazine I'd want to read.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:52 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Is it just me or do you get either a KKK or homosexual vibe from this. Either that or a Kennel Club vibe..."check out the teeth and haunches on this breed...very presentable!" Doesn't sound like a magazine I'd want to read.
And the OP is written very poorly. I think it's b.s. but didn't want to say so earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland