Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 03:32 AM

7 posts, read 8,757 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm currently living in Australia and will be relocating for a job opportunity in Foster City early next year. I am looking for recommendations on where to live, based on the following criteria:

* Single 20-something female
* Approx budget $1500/mo
* Safe area, close to shops and some nightlife (walking distance preferred)

I did a search and noticed some recommendations for Burlingame/San Mateo. Does anyone recommend living in Foster City itself based on my criteria (then I could possibly walk to work)?

Also, how bad would traffic be if I were commuting from Burlingame/San Mateo to Foster City? Are there hours where traffic can be avoided?

If there are specific apartment complexes that you can recommend, that would be great.

Any advice much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 12:38 PM

70 posts, read 131,015 times
I wouldn't recommend living in Foster City, it's a very family-centric, residential kind of town with not much nightlife. San Mateo is a much better choice. San Mateo is adjacent to Foster City, so with a car the commute would be 5-10 minutes. Burlingame is adjacent to San Mateo, and the commute would be 15-20 minutes (you'd probably take El Camino, which has a lot of stoplights and buses).

Old 12-23-2011, 12:52 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ack! View Post
Hi All,

I'm currently living in Australia and will be relocating for a job opportunity in Foster City early next year. I am looking for recommendations on where to live, based on the following criteria:

* Single 20-something female
* Approx budget $1500/mo
* Safe area, close to shops and some nightlife (walking distance preferred)

I did a search and noticed some recommendations for Burlingame/San Mateo. Does anyone recommend living in Foster City itself based on my criteria (then I could possibly walk to work)?

Also, how bad would traffic be if I were commuting from Burlingame/San Mateo to Foster City? Are there hours where traffic can be avoided?

If there are specific apartment complexes that you can recommend, that would be great.

Any advice much appreciated!
I'd recommend Burlingame or San Mateo. These cities have nice downtown areas and a nice living environment. Enjoy! I'm sure you'll love it here. I used to live in Gold Coast btw =].

Old 12-24-2011, 04:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated!

If I were to live in Burlinghame or San Mateo, would it be possible to take a bus/train to Foster City, or is that not worth the hassle and a car would be a better option?

Also, is anyone able to provide an indication of what utility costs are like? Just so I can perform some rough budgeting! I've had a job offer that has come in lower than expected, so I'm trying to see if it's a feasible option for me.

Cheers!

Old 12-24-2011, 11:02 AM

70 posts, read 131,015 times
You can use the trip planner at 511.org to see what kind of public transportation options you'd have (just plug in two addresses). Electric/TV/internet runs about $100 - $150/mo. depending on the time of year.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:37 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
I'd own a car if I didn't live in the city (San Francisco) even though public transportation is still available. Utilities will depend on the property you choose to rent or purchase. If you rent or buy a condo, you will have an HOA. The HOA usually includes some utilities. For example, I won a condo with a monthly HOA fee of $315. If you rent, the landlord will pay the HOA fee. This fee in my case includes security, gym, common areas, sewer, water, trash, and gas. My internet cost around $33/month, electricity around $45/month, cable TV around $30/month (810 sq ft condo).

Old 12-26-2011, 04:35 AM

Cheers for the advice - I think having a car would make things a lot simpler too.

I've had a quick look on craigslist and there doesn't appear to be much in the way of share accommodation in San Mateo/Burlingame - is it less popular in these areas than say Downtown?

Just weighing up my options and I'd like to avoid committing to a 1 year lease (at least until I am convinced the area is for me) if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland