Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2012, 01:39 AM

15 posts, read 32,181 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.

I'm looking for some advice and hopefully some of you out there have some similar experiences.

I'm a 23 yr old guy currently living in San Diego. I moved here from NYC last year after I finished college.

I've got about a year of experience working as desktop/IT support in the biotech field here in SD (La Jolla specifically). However, a few weeks ago I was fired from a new job at a science research institute. I won't bore everyone with all the details, but basically they were monitoring my internet traffic and found some comments I made to a friend they didn't like. Seriously shady.

Anyway, since getting fired I've been wondering if this is an opportunity for me to explore other options. As I mentioned before, I've got some experience working in IT specifically biotech out here. I've got my degree in CIS, and some other computer experience under my belt. Despite SD being one of the better tech hubs in the US, I'm wondering if I could do better in SF/bay.

My jobs here have been paying about $17-$20 an hour, or about $40k a year. Its very expensive to live here too, and since I wouldn't live in the city of SF, a few grand more a year could go a long way for me.

I've never been north of LA as I grew up on the east coast in northern Virginia and went to college in NYC. I'm planning a road trip in 2 weeks to check a lot out.

In addition to the job market, after a year in San Diego I'm starting to miss some things. I left NY because it was cold 7 months a year, always raining/snowing, and basically unlivable for me. I figured SD would be my heaven, and as much as I still thank god for every 70 degree day and 60 degree night…I am starting to miss the seasons and diversity. Its about to be June but this year has been such a shock to my system that I feel like fall should be starting…the lack of change kinda messes with my head.

I'm wondering if Northern California would be a better fit for me. Being by the beach and the coast down here is awesome, but sometimes the dry desert areas and lack of trees/greenery gets a bit depressing. I know I took this all for granted on the east coast when I was younger, but I'm just learning that I really do love nature and the outdoors. As perfect as the weather is here, the lack of rain and greenery is starting to take a toll.

Also, after a year I'm really starting to miss the benefits of a great city. Theres no great food here, not enough concerts, and the culture is certainly lacking. I'm a very liberal guy so that aspect of SF doesn't scare me.

Outside of the city of San Francisco, are there any areas with particularly nice climates, nature, and scenery? Maybe some that are more affordable? Btw, I live to play golf so any areas that are better as far as courses/climate? Has anyone else moved from the east coast (virginia/ny) and found a spot in NorCal that feels like home?

I really appreciate any help or suggestions you guys have.

-Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 05:30 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,757 times
the bay area has a lot of beautiful scenery and weather! and you'd make at least double the salary there, if not triple. i've lived in northern and southern california, back and forth through the years. the north is better but i am biased as that is "home". plenty of good golfing there too.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,081,480 times
Submit your resume to some Bay Area tech firms and see what happens, hiring is supposed to be very rampant but I don't know if that applies to everyone or just new comp sci grads from Stanford. The salary should pretty definitely be higher than 40k in SF or Silicon Valley but it can depend on the company. Just keep in mind that tech firm hours can be crazy, and rents are skyrocketing in SF and SV because of the tech boom so your money won't go as far. I'd recommend Oakland or you might like living in Silicon Valley since the weather is pretty temperate and seasonal, I dunno if you'd like the suburban lifestyle there though. Oakland is denser and older and has some cool (and safe) areas with cheap rent, and it's 20 minutes from downtown SF on BART.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Submit your resume to some Bay Area tech firms and see what happens, hiring is supposed to be very rampant but I don't know if that applies to everyone or just new comp sci grads from Stanford. The salary should pretty definitely be higher than 40k in SF or Silicon Valley but it can depend on the company. Just keep in mind that tech firm hours can be crazy, and rents are skyrocketing in SF and SV because of the tech boom so your money won't go as far. I'd recommend Oakland or you might like living in Silicon Valley since the weather is pretty temperate and seasonal, I dunno if you'd like the suburban lifestyle there though. Oakland is denser and older and has some cool (and safe) areas with cheap rent, and it's 20 minutes from downtown SF on BART.
i'd like to know about these cheap/safe places in oakland. i moved from san jose in 2001 and am trying to get back somewhere around there. not necessarily in silicon hell, but usually the salaries are the only decent ones around. unless you want to live on the freeway half the day. i've always thought oakland was awful, but from reading threads in here, maybe it isn't so bad after all.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:05 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,081,480 times
Article about tech hiring in SV:

Revenge of the Nerds: Tech Firms Scour College Campuses for Talent - WSJ.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i'd like to know about these cheap/safe places in oakland. i moved from san jose in 2001 and am trying to get back somewhere around there. not necessarily in silicon hell, but usually the salaries are the only decent ones around. unless you want to live on the freeway half the day. i've always thought oakland was awful, but from reading threads in here, maybe it isn't so bad after all.
The area around Lake Merritt--mainly Grand Lake which is north of the lake--is maybe the best in terms of combining cheapness, a convenient location, and stuff to do. That said, rents in Oakland are going up too so it's not as cheap as it used to be. Piedmont Ave is maybe next in line, then the Temescal, then Rockridge. There are other neighborhoods in Oakland that are nice or pretty affordable but not as conveniently located, or are more suburban. Somewhere like Rockridge is still kind of expensive but it's way cheaper than somewhere similar in Berkeley or SF. You can also get way more for your money if you go further from SF in the East Bay to places like Walnut Creek but then you're really getting suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland