Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,782,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
I have lived/ traveled all over the country and there is no city as beautiful with such lovely weather, great restaurants, diversity, breathtaking natural beauty as SF/ Bay Area.

Do you people have any idea that you live in the closest thing to paradise in the country despite the high COL? I am so jealous of you all...I have to rot in the miserable winters of the east coast till I can relo out there.

The 1906 San Francisco Earthquake - YouTube Not to be so lucky when the next BIG one hits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 AM

330 posts, read 747,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Taking the Muni and seeing people interact with each other on the bus is always interesting. It may take a little longer to get to places, but the journey is well worth it. Waking up to fresh air and clear and self sustaining environment (relatively speaking) makes my morning walk to public transit giggly. And amenities that are so overwhelming and most of them are free.
Totally agree about your comment on the public transit. Never a dull moment. While the "characters" on the bus may be a turn off for some people I frankly find it entertaining.

I could actually ride those tourist hop-on-hop-off buses all day long, and I live here. I love taking rides through the city, even if its on a MUNI bus. The neighborhoods are so different and they change so quickly, and there are so many spectacular views.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:49 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,619,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
Totally agree about your comment on the public transit. Never a dull moment. While the "characters" on the bus may be a turn off for some people I frankly find it entertaining.

I could actually ride those tourist hop-on-hop-off buses all day long, and I live here. I love taking rides through the city, even if its on a MUNI bus. The neighborhoods are so different and they change so quickly, and there are so many spectacular views.
I remember when "Clean Air Day " meant all public transport was FREE.
The wiife and I would go exploring, buses , trains, trolleys and ferrys all over the Bay Area.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 AM

9,005 posts, read 13,778,346 times
I always promised myself if I ever hit the lottery I'm moving to San Fran.
Besides the lack of good pizza, it is the best city I visited.

Imo its one of the few places where people judge the content of your character and not what you look like.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 AM

16,573 posts, read 27,283,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Imo its one of the few places where people judge the content of your character and not what you look like.
Up to a point. People here are not above douchebaggery behavior either but compared to other places likely not as bad. There are stereotypes here though and at times this can really lead to problems.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:33 PM

263 posts, read 528,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Lack of good pizza? You're joking.

Una Pizza Napoletana
Tony's Pizza Napoletana
Zero Zero
Gialina
Etc, etc.

If you really crave a big cheap NY/NJ style slice, go to Arinell.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 PM

60 posts, read 123,197 times
Uh huh...this is a thread about SF or Bay Area? I thought it was the former. What does this map show in terms of the amount of sunshine in SF? I don't think SF itself is even represented accurately on that map because it is like a dot.

Frankly, I don't know how it can be measured in a place like SF. It's usually sunny in the morning then fog rolls in. The fog might blanket the whole city or just the west side. If half of the city is covered in fog and half isn't, should it be counted as a sunshine hour or not?

It is one of those things you only understand if you live there. Stats can't tell you the whole picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
The Bay Area is one of the sunniest metros in the nation, aside from those in the desert southwest. Even SF gets more sun than most US cities. Of course if you live in the sunset or Richmond you won't experience that much of it, but you'll get tons if you live in the Mission, Noe Valley, Potrero hill, etc. Microclimates are cool like that.

Annual Sunshine hours:

United States Yearly [Annual] and Monthly Mean Total Sunshine Hours

As for "hot", the far east bay, the south bay, and north bay all get very hot at times, sometimes for long stretches...as in 90 to 100+ degrees. Does that not count as hot to you? Even cooler places like SF, Oakland, Berkeley, Daly City, etc gets the occasional heatwave like that (though they're most definitely not "hot" weather places overall).

Old 01-05-2012, 04:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,785,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
People here are not above douchebaggery behavior either
For example: Yuppie bus/econ majors scuttling about the financial district, and trolling martini bars talking highly of themselves.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:52 PM

622 posts, read 1,143,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Up to a point. People here are not above douchebaggery behavior either but compared to other places likely not as bad. There are stereotypes here though and at times this can really lead to problems.
I agree. It's a great place to live, but people stereotype here just like everywhere else. It's just not as grating because it seems to be rare and, even when you deal with it, they try to not be in your face.

I have had twitchy types grip their purses if I approach on a bus or public space. What they don't know is even though I'm in sweats and wearing sneakers, what I've got in my backpack probably is 10x more expensive that the junk they're carrying: a laptop, iPad, wifi hotspot, and an Android phone. That's low level and bigoted racial profiling, and that was happening to me when I was a law student in the late 90s. Just replace the iPad with heavy law books, a laptop, and whatever other crap I was carrying at the time. That's not changed.

Those douches are still here.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,209,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_faithful View Post
Uh huh...this is a thread about SF or Bay Area? I thought it was the former. What does this map show in terms of the amount of sunshine in SF? I don't think SF itself is even represented accurately on that map because it is like a dot.

Frankly, I don't know how it can be measured in a place like SF. It's usually sunny in the morning then fog rolls in. The fog might blanket the whole city or just the west side. If half of the city is covered in fog and half isn't, should it be counted as a sunshine hour or not?

It is one of those things you only understand if you live there. Stats can't tell you the whole picture.
The reason I included the Bay Area is because the post I was responding to was talking about the Bay Area...not just SF. Besides, I did mention that SF itself is one of the cooler parts of the Bay.

As for sunshine stats for SF itself: San Francisco gets over 2800 sunshine hours per year, or in other measurement terms, 66% of daylight hours are sunny in SF. That's on par with Salt Lake city and Tampa. SF also has 160 clear days per year, which is pretty high as far as non-desert climate US cities go, and is actually higher than San Diego or LA ("clear" is defined as less than 1/3 of the sky being covered in clouds).

I agree about the micro climates thing though, it makes it hard to describe weather definitively for a city like SF. SF is a typical sun drenched CA city, but the fog/marine layer and the hilly terrain throws that all out of balance, so that the city is pleasant and sunny all the time..but it's also windy, cold, cloudy/foggy, all the time. SF truly is a city of contradictions: highly urban and hectic in many ways, yet laid back in others. Highly populated, yet small in size. Cold...but warm. Wealthy and well-maintained, but also has plenty of grime and poor people. Maybe that's one reason why so many people get obsessed with it in one way or another. It's hard to figure out.

edit: I should add that as far as SF goes, the western third gets by far the most fog, and the eastern third gets by far the least fog. The middle third is...in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland