Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM

218 posts, read 483,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine658 View Post
Wow, better drop the racist stuff before landing here. Not cool at all. Cow Hollow and Marina was where I was for for several years, also lived Murray Hill area in NYC also several years. What race and non-hipster group of people are you trying to surround yourself with specifically? Personally I love diversity, and that is major reason moved to bay area, however, found that people cluster with their own kind in SF more than expected. We could not even find schools for our kids with a good diversity, almost all the schools have more than 50% of one race.

If decide on Palo Alto nearer to work, there are some major demographic differences between East Palo Alto and Palo Alto.

In SF, commute options are from Mission Bay Caltrain Depot or 22nd Street Potrero Hill / Dog Patch neighborhoods, and are only good options for commuting to Palo Alto.

I want to be around Whites, Asians and Indians -- we share common interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 08:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
OK, I'll bite......

What interests are those?

Old 01-08-2012, 10:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
You must have magic powers if you can tell someone's interests by their ethnic background. Wow!

Old 01-08-2012, 11:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Noe Valley is ethnic? It's like the whitest neighborhood in SF. The people who live there are practically translucent.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:29 PM

341 posts, read 902,345 times
Hi There,

I suggest you stay away from the Bay Views Hunter Point. It's a predominantly black neighborhood and the worst in San Francisco. An 83 year old man was racially beat to death by 5 ghetto youths in the area not too long ago. Also, another elderly 70 year old woman was racially thrown to her death on to train tracks by 4 ghetto youths. I was on the 38 bus headed to Union Square a few days ago. Two ghetto weave wearing youths started jumping in this old white man's face threatening to punch his face in and "kill him." Apparently he told them to quiet down (they had their phone radios on turned to volume 100).

The Mission District is predominantly Mexican with the other half being Valencia St. which is flooded with hipsters. I've been to the Mexican side during the day and night (around 8ish). If you're feeling some burritos there are some good shops. I wouldn't suggest going around there though real late at night.

I've lived in the Sunset, Richmond District, and the Marina. All three of these neighborhoods are very safe. The Sunset is primarily Asian. It's kind of boring. There are some shops around (markets and restaurants). The Richmond is a mixture of Russian and Chinese immigrants. It's also pretty boring but very safe. There are some shops in the area (Chinese shops, knick-knack shops, and some Russian places here and there). The Marina is predominantly white. It's safe. There's a lot more to do in the area.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:36 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTINsf View Post
predominantly white. It's safe.
Well, looky here - looks like we have a pair of kindred spirits! Maybe even those who "share common interests."

Old 01-09-2012, 02:15 AM

341 posts, read 902,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Well, looky here - looks like we have a pair of kindred spirits! Maybe even those who "share common interests."
Well I'd be lying if I told the above poster that predominantly black neighborhoods in SF are anywhere near safe. When they are the farthest thing from safe, more like 3rd world war zones.

I'm sorry that truths offend you. I suggest you lighten up and grow a thicker skin.

Old 01-09-2012, 12:49 PM

218 posts, read 483,492 times
Quote:
Hi There,

I suggest you stay away from the Bay Views Hunter Point. It's a predominantly black neighborhood and the worst in San Francisco. An 83 year old man was racially beat to death by 5 ghetto youths in the area not too long ago. Also, another elderly 70 year old woman was racially thrown to her death on to train tracks by 4 ghetto youths. I was on the 38 bus headed to Union Square a few days ago. Two ghetto weave wearing youths started jumping in this old white man's face threatening to punch his face in and "kill him." Apparently he told them to quiet down (they had their phone radios on turned to volume 100).

The Mission District is predominantly Mexican with the other half being Valencia St. which is flooded with hipsters. I've been to the Mexican side during the day and night (around 8ish). If you're feeling some burritos there are some good shops. I wouldn't suggest going around there though real late at night.

I've lived in the Sunset, Richmond District, and the Marina. All three of these neighborhoods are very safe. The Sunset is primarily Asian. It's kind of boring. There are some shops around (markets and restaurants). The Richmond is a mixture of Russian and Chinese immigrants. It's also pretty boring but very safe. There are some shops in the area (Chinese shops, knick-knack shops, and some Russian places here and there). The Marina is predominantly white. It's safe. There's a lot more to do in the area.
Thanks a lot for the detailed, blunt response Kristin.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Well I'd be lying if I told the above poster that predominantly black neighborhoods in SF are anywhere near safe. When they are the farthest thing from safe, more like 3rd world war zones.

I'm sorry that truths offend you. I suggest you lighten up and grow a thicker skin.
A thicker skin would allow one to accept other races, rather than repeat disgust for such throughout multiple threads. These "truths" seem to mirror some of those of the ominous Deep South past. But the frankness is somewhat amusing, in the old no-filters-for-me ethic, much like so many older generations offer up without warning at the holiday dinner table. "Dagnabbit, those damned _________ are taking over our country!"

Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
NYCtoSF -
A NY'er having moved to SF 24 years ago, a few insights...
1) South Beach/Soma - downtown urban setting. high-rise condos, close to financial, newer residential developments, EZ commute to South Bay by CalTrans (walk to station) or HWY. Not much retail. More of a NYC type setting in SF (on a micro scale, that is) in the making. Lots of young professionals. Downside - not much a neighborhood (retail, dining, lifestyle)...yet, but filling in super fast.
2) Pacific Heights - Greenwich Ct of SF. All ages, one of the most popular neighborhoods in SF. Retail, dining, shopping, all ages, upscale. Fillmore Street is the lifestyle street. Cost of living higher but you get what you pay for in location. Not close to CalTrans, but accessible via Muni.
3) Cow Hollow - Just north (down Fillmore street) from Pacific Heights, great SF lifestyle living. Similar demographic and profile to Pacific Heights. North side location near the Marina green (and Marina), North Beach, Upper Polk, Pacific Heights and access tp the Bay. EZ commute downtown. The main shopping and dining street is Union Street - great dining, shopping, level street with no hills, great hood.
4) Marina - home run if you're trying to land a neighborhood based on the population and popularity of young, professional single ladies. Chestnut Street is the "downtown" lifestyle and shopping street. Young, tons to do, energetic, fun.
Living (particularly buying a home in) in the Marina must be done with GREAT caution as it's all on liquefaction. In 89 quake most of the damage occurred in the Marina, I was running on marina green when it hit, never will forget the damage Play it safe, but in Cow Hollow blocks away and it's not on liquefaction (most parts).
4) Noe Valley - Great south side neighborhood, more chill, smaller village like setting, fewer single ladies. Great for families with young kids, these days, but adored by most true San Franciscans.

Many other amazing neighborhoods, but what i've learned doing tons of corporate relocation over the years is that newcomers to SF have a more instant immersion, fast out of the gates lifestyle if they live in one of the neighborhoods mentioned above. They are the most interactive and popular neighborhoods in San Francisco.

Top Picks based on your description:
1) Marina (near Chestnut Street)
2) Cow Hollow
3) Pacific Heights
4) South Beach

Hope that's helpful.
Pete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland