Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:13 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
All my neighbors are doctors, lawyers, and senior engineers. I don't know that they are ever collectively home enough to form a subculture. "People who work too much" maybe?
+1
Sounds like you are my neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
One of my least favorite. I am going to call them

Asian Hip Hop Racists
These are Asian kids who grew up listening to hip hop, only listen to hip hop. Dress like "hip hop" people (guys dress like Kanye or Jay-Z, girls like Kim Kardashian or Beyonce) and idolize the stars. And then they say they hate black people, make racist comments, and don't want to be friends with or be around any at all. Or ahem "ghetto people."

I have unfortunately met too many of these people....and that's so not hip hop.

**Anyone can listen to hip hop. I don't care, but no claiming that you hate black people.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:20 AM

858 posts, read 2,236,300 times
Urban Bicyclists:

Not the recreational ones nor the ones that are trained for any racing event. They are the ones that use it to commute to work, use it to buy groceries, ride to social events and run errands. In another word, their primary form of transportation. They fight for every bike lanes/facilities in the city and dislike cagers especially the ones that drive gas guzzling cage or drive down the road as to destroy anyone on sight. They go to Critical Mass, Tour de Fat, SFBP, Winter Fest or to any social event that celebrate biking culture. Valencia St. is their bicycle boulevard and Market St. is their urban jungle.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:20 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Stop driving or parking in the damn bike lane and you won't get attitude.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:05 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
The OP's list of SF subcultures is pretty accurate, but as people pointed out, the most overlooked group of people are those who don't stand out. Regular, working people (blue or white collar) who are like people everywhere else. Plus, as you get out of the City, those regular people become the norm. Go somewhere like Walnut Creek or Pleasanton, and you won't see any subcultures, just a bunch of normal people.

The subcultures of urban SF do make for fun people watching, and for that reason alone, I think it's fun to ID groups and their lifestyles.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Stop driving or parking in the damn bike lane and you won't get attitude.
I don't worry about attitude. One of these days I'm just gonna cream one of you. If my choice is to swerve into another car or hit the cyclist who suddenly veered in front of me...

Old 01-08-2012, 10:36 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Yeah, the "subcultures" are accurate but really only applies to a certain age group. I was once a punk and later part of the mod scene. I also used to hang with some gangster types in high school.

I guess I can't really be pigeonholed anymore the way you're looking for. In ten years, you just wear what you like and not try to look ridiculous as a mom with fuschia hair and piercings and just hang out with people that I like even if they dress like shi* or make tons of money and dress in designer cra*. I'm even friends with people that have different political views now days, also. I guess if you were to see someone like me on the street you'd not be able to figure me out!

There's no need to get "aggro" about my comments though. It just seems so silly to me now days to put people into little cliques and assume that you know who they are or who they're going to be once they get a little older.

Carry on though... I do know what kind of answers you're looking for. My cousin who's born/raised in San Francisco looks like one the Asian hip-hop gangsters (even has a pit bull) that Jade mentioned (not a racist however). He graduated from UCLA with some crazy major like Micro-physics or Macro-biology or something and is now getting his law degree whilst working at a tech firm down in SoCal. I'd hate for anyone to think he's just some low life though since he dresses like this

Old 01-08-2012, 01:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

Carry on though... I do know what kind of answers you're looking for. My cousin who's born/raised in San Francisco looks like one the Asian hip-hop gangsters (even has a pit bull) that Jade mentioned (not a racist however). He graduated from UCLA with some crazy major like Micro-physics or Macro-biology or something and is now getting his law degree whilst working at a tech firm down in SoCal. I'd hate for anyone to think he's just some low life though since he dresses like this
In they bay area, it seems like every young guy is either a hiphop gangster or hipster. But there is a point where you need to grow up and get some real clothes....no matter which one you subscribe to. I don't complain until you are too old. Or you know, racist.

Well I guess the subset of dapper hipsters can keep their clothing into adulthood.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:28 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Will you stop with the subtle insults directed at me already? Putting me down really doesn't make you a better person at the end of the day however good it may make you feel in the short term.
Well you aren't the only one that sits there are generalizes and stereotypes people on here so I wasn't talking about just you.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people", I've said this in previous threads where people generalize and stereotype the general population so don't worry, it's not all about or directed at just you.

Last edited by sav858; 01-08-2012 at 02:01 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 04:51 PM

653 posts, read 945,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
mini, the ignore feature is a wonderful thing
I think we're all missing a larger issue here... Thankfully I haven't needed to use it, but C-D has an ignore feature that I don't know about?!

Last edited by dclamb3; 01-08-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland