Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,798 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job in the Pleasant Hill area, I will be moving in two weeks.

I was born and raised in California but I've spent the last 6 1/2 years up in Oregon. I have only been to Pleasant Hill a few times in my life, the only thing I remember is that its an expensive area to live in. I need to find an apartment by the first week of February.

I'm a single 25yr old male, the most I can spend on rent is $1,000 a month.
I want to find a city to live in that is no more than 15 miles away from Pleasant Hill, that has a low crime rate, has a BART station nearby and is close to shopping centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 01:47 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXtransplant2 View Post
I just accepted a job in the Pleasant Hill area, I will be moving in two weeks.

I was born and raised in California but I've spent the last 6 1/2 years up in Oregon. I have only been to Pleasant Hill a few times in my life, the only thing I remember is that its an expensive area to live in. I need to find an apartment by the first week of February.

I'm a single 25yr old male, the most I can spend on rent is $1,000 a month.
I want to find a city to live in that is no more than 15 miles away from Pleasant Hill, that has a low crime rate, has a BART station nearby and is close to shopping centers.
So, live in Pleasant Hill or Concord. $1000 will get you a studio. There are BART stations in both towns. The nearest shopping center is Sun Valley Mall in Concord Sunvalley: Sunvalley On the other side of the freeway east of Sun Valley mall is the Willows shopping center.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:09 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
I just took a quick look at Pleasant Hill rentals on craigslist. There are tons of apartments for under 1000$. As someone also mentioned, you can look into Concord which can be a little more affordable depending on the neighborhood.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM

69 posts, read 159,346 times
Pleasant Hill is a pretty decent town, though I think most of the activities/bars are out in Concord. Like the other posters said, BART is nearby. I have heard some bad things about certain parts of Concord, but for the most part it seems fine. They have a great drive-in movie theater in Concord that actually gets pretty packed on the weekends. You should check it out!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:21 PM

291 posts, read 958,216 times
Walnut Creek is nice too and not far (about 3-4 miles). There is a BART station, a large downtown with lots of stores and many nice restaurants. I have no idea about rent prices but I hear it might be more expensive than Pleasant Hill.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
As they say... it isn't called Pleasant Hill for nothing....

Not a bad place at all and most people that live there tend to stay there...

I would not call it expensive... but, then everything is relative here...

I managed a home in Pleasant Hill at one time and another in Pittsburg...

The home in Pittsburg had twice the square footage of Pleasant Hill and rented for the same as Pleasant Hill and that was about half of what it would cost in parts of Orinda and Lafayette.

Pleasant Hill is very convenient because of it's location... and the city center has changed dramatically in the last 10 years or so... if you have been away.. you probably wouldn't recognize it.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:09 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
There are nice apartment buildings near WC, PH, and Concord Bart. WC is the most expensive but also the best if you don't have a car, because there is a vibrant downtown nearby. However, it'll be hard to live in any of those places without a car. I'm hoping the Bart thing is only for work but not for errands? Because without a car, you won't even be able to buy groceries in suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland