Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 03:00 PM

12 posts, read 56,427 times

Advertisements

It needs to be said for those not familiar with SF bay area as a whole (like the OP from Austin) that there is no need to fear cold and foggy summer days in SF. SF bay area has many microclimates and although it may be cold and foggy in parts of SF, it is generally very sunny in Peninsula and South bay and East bay places like Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 06:09 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,941 times
SF's weather stays very consistent throughout the year, with little variances. Check out weatherbase.com:

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for San Francisco, California, United States of America - Travel, Vacation, Forecast and Reference Information

And, there ARE sunny places in The City to live in!

I've lived up here for many years, have a brother in Pasadena and a sister near the OP in Wimberley and have visited both places often. I prefer SF to L.A. but if you want warm, sunny weather with low humidity, then "Smell-A" (rhymes with L.A.) and poorer air quality are for you. If you chose to live near the San Mateo area and commute to SF, you'd get a fair amount of warmth and sun, too.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:23 AM

32 posts, read 47,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Austin: podunk town
San Francisco: hip, international, eclectic city
I don't know if I agree with your description of Austin as being a "podunk town". I agree, many cities seem less appealing when compared to SF, but still. Podunk is a little unfair--Austin is a great city.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:27 PM

330 posts, read 749,701 times
I have a buddy in Austin, I loved it when I went out there to visit him. Great town. He also visited me in SF for the first time this summer, and he loved SF as well. There are obviously a ton of climate and geographical differences between both places, but other than that, Austin and SF (and the people that live in both places) have a lot in common. If you love Austin, I'm confident you'd love it here too.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,162,376 times
More career opportunities for the upwardly mobile than anywhere on planet...but most such career opps aren't in sleepy, commie SF but rather in PaloAlto corridor
More yuppies choose to reside in SF vs anywhere on planet except Manhattan (and most of those yuppies do the easy daily blitz down to SV to earn a living....and just use SF as a distant bedroom suburb of SV)
COL in SF or PaloAlto is immensely cheaper (and daily QOL far greater) than that of Manhattan, assuming similar income and attempted lifestyle

Old 01-20-2012, 11:15 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
More career opportunities for the upwardly mobile than anywhere on planet...but most such career opps aren't in sleepy, commie SF but rather in PaloAlto corridor
More yuppies choose to reside in SF vs anywhere on planet except Manhattan (and most of those yuppies do the easy daily blitz down to SV to earn a living....and just use SF as a distant bedroom suburb of SV)
COL in SF or PaloAlto is immensely cheaper (and daily QOL far greater) than that of Manhattan, assuming similar income and attempted lifestyle
Destroy office equipment

Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Pros & Cons of SF:

Pros can be found in the Tenderloin after dark on most any street corner.

Cons can be found at City Hall.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:01 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
I realize this is an old thread, but want to point a few things out as it might help others.

I am not from SF or The Bay, I am from Sacramento. However, at the time I still lived in California Sacramento was very much a "cow town". As such, my friends and I spent as much time in the Bay as we could once we got our DLs. I spent on average perhaps two weekends a month in the Bay for years...until I finally moved away to Minneapolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
No, not really. Many people say SF's weather is better than anywhere else in the country. It is almost 60 degrees everyday in SF in January for God's sake. Do you know how many people in Chicago would love that right about now?! I live in Maryland and the temperature drops into the low teens every other night in January. You have to dress like your going skiing to go to the supermarket at night at this time of year. It makes me miss SF. SF is one of the sunniest cities in America. It's pretty magical. I don't know any other way to put it.

Sunniest US Cities - Current Results

Even though there is alot of fog and gray skies, it is bright and sunny somewhere in the city almost every other day of the year. Depending on what type of person you are, once your body acclimates to SF, you may never want to wear anything other short sleeves or a light jacket ever again if you choose to live in The City.
When I lived in Sacto, I thought SFs weather was awesome. In particular since SF did/does not have the 100+ degree days that Sacto did/does. One thing I learned is that even though the Upper MidWest has brutally cold winters, there are different kinds of "brutal winters". In Minneapolis, and Chicago, you know what is coming when winter time hits, and you know that that is how it is going to be for the next four, five months, at least. You know that you will be wearing your winter gear. It is no surprise. In SF, you do not know what to expect. You could be nice and comfy outside in your t-shirt one minute, then searching for your hoodie or light jacket the next because the temp all of a sudden dropped 10 degrees. Then it goes back up.

Also, outside of extreme low temps, cold is cold. It really makes no difference if it is 10˚ F or -10˚ F. Despite being a difference of 20˚ F, it is all the same cold. SF can have a misty, damp, cold, even though the actual temp may not be that cold, really. In my opinion, mist + 50˚ F is a heckofalot more miserable than a day time high of 0˚ F. I mean, at least you know that it is going to be zero all day. Dress accordingly and you will be fine. Well, unless you were like me and bought the heaviest, most down lined, gear you could find...only to find your self sweating in sub-zero temps....you will learn to layer, too.

I think the biggest difference is this: people in Chicago do not take the weather for granted as much as people in SF do. It may be hard to believe, but brutal cold temps really do make you feel alive. And to be frank, I truly believe that people in the Upper MidWest have an appreciation for Spring and Summer in ways that no one in SF will ever have. There are very distinct seasons. Even with the winter many people enjoy ice fishing, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, and other winter time recreational activities. St. Paul, MN. hosts the annual Ice Festival in January. That is January in winter...in Minnesota. The Ice Festival is a big deal that draws a huge crowd...in Minnesota...in January. There is also the Holidazzle Parade in Minneapolis around Christmas time that runs roughly two weeks or so. That is also a big deal and local tradition. People in California cower in fear every time it rains.

Speaking of Maryland...snoozers. I can't wait to get back to California (which is how I came across this particular thread...thinking of moving to somewhere near Santa Cruz or Monterey).

Old 01-30-2014, 12:30 PM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Keep in mind it does get cold here year-round especially near the coast. A high of 60 in the middle of summer in SF is not uncommon, and in the winter it ranges from around 35 to 50 most days.
Actual, real data for winter weather is available here:

San Francisco January Weather 2014 - AccuWeather Forecast for CA 94103

In fact, there has been only ONE SINGLE day in the 35 to 50 degree range in San Francisco all winter.

Given that Austin has been having snow and ice this winter, I think you'll adapt to our palm trees and blue bay.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
To the OP, you should come out and visit as you consider your options (if I were you, I would visit all of my options to see if I could imagine living there). SF is quite walkable and it is pretty easy to go car-free.

The big con in San Francisco is the cost of housing. $1800/month will get you housing. You could get a studio in a central location, or a 1 BR in a far-flung neighborhood, or shared housing in a desirable neighborhood (it's common here).

There are a lot of pros to living here. We have a booming economy, very good transit that you will ultimately love and hate, great restaurants and bars, great outdoor activities that are accessible year round. The hills and the bay are picturesque. There are always events and concerts. It's a diverse city and a diverse region. Golden Gate Park is a phenomenal urban park. SF is very centrally located in the region, and it's a phenomenal region. You are a short drive from CA wine country, coastal redwood forests, and Monterey Bay. Slightly longer drives from Big Sur, giant redwood forests, Lake Tahoe, and Yosemite. In between there are countless county, regional, state, and national parks.

It takes some effort to get to know people here, but you'll get to know people and learn that every one of your friends has a pair of hiking boots .

The weather is temperate. You have access to three airports. Northern California is pretty cosmopolitan, especially in comparison to most western cities I've been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland