Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 PM

46 posts, read 226,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
If you don't do this, getting a city parking permit is a good idea, last time I checked it was like $50 a year but I'm sure they've raised the price since then. In most neighborhoods there's a small number of streets that let anyone without a permit park there, and most streets require you to have a permit for that neighborhood to park for more than 2 hours.
If they have parking permits in your area, it's worth paying for, but I think it's better not to have them. In most areas the parking permit hours are from 9am-6pm M-F, which means cars without permits have to move by 11 am, and can stay where they are for the night until after 4pm- in other words, the hours when parking is not such a problem. But some people like giving the DPT $100 a year for the sticker so they campaign to bring it to their neighborhood. Once its in effect, you pretty much need to buy them or it will cost you more in tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Either way, you do have to move your car a lot because they do street cleaning 2 to 3 times a week on any given street in SF, so you have to move your car every couple of days if you aren't using it and make sure you're on top of the street cleaning schedule. You get a permit sticker for the specific zone of the city you live in and on every block there are signs listing which sticker you need and what the street cleaning schedule is.
Quite a few neighborhoods have cut back to monthly or bi-monthly street cleaning. In a way this is almost worse since it can be hard to remember if it is the 3rd Tuesday or the 2nd Friday of the month when you are in a hurry.

I used to live half a block up from Mission St (near 30th) and it was street cleaning every morning from 5am to 7am including Sundays and holidays. That was brutal. No matter how hard I tried I'd get ticketed a couple times a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:20 AM

35 posts, read 151,610 times
On that combined salary you should be able to afford one of the modern apartment buildings with modern amenities. If you decide not to do that, I've never thought it was that expensive to use go to places that do bulk washing/drying compared to using machines. It's definitely convenient. The only bad part is they don't match your socks.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:53 AM

11 posts, read 15,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJudah View Post
On that combined salary you should be able to afford one of the modern apartment buildings with modern amenities. If you decide not to do that, I've never thought it was that expensive to use go to places that do bulk washing/drying compared to using machines. It's definitely convenient. The only bad part is they don't match your socks.
I think I could live this that. =) I think having a laundry facility might be knocked out of our must have list. I won't be relocating until sometime in March / early April and just from the beginning of January to now It seems like all of the 2B places in the area we want to live are gone or raising in price by a significant amount. It's kind of depressing.

I know this isn't the best time to be a renter in San Francisco, but do neighborhoods go through small up and down cycles? Could there be a bunch of openings similar to the beginning to this month again just as quickly or are we getting close to being priced out of our neighborhood in just the 3 weeks that have gone by?

Last edited by Kooze; 01-26-2012 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
No your calculations are way off unless you have 5 kids and own a house! For most people $5600 is about the max they will get as take home on a 100K income.
Agreed.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:13 PM

95 posts, read 172,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooze View Post
I think I could live this that. =) I think having a laundry facility might be knocked out of our must have list. I won't be relocating until sometime in March / early April and just from the beginning of January to now It seems like all of the 2B places in the area we want to live are gone or raising in price by a significant amount. It's kind of depressing.

I know this isn't the best time to be a renter in San Francisco, but do neighborhoods go through small up and down cycles? Could there be a bunch of openings similar to the beginning to this month again just as quickly or are we getting close to being priced out of our neighborhood in just the 3 weeks that have gone by?
You could wait for the summer too when some of the students from SF State/City College/USF leave. Although I'm not sure your desired areas would
be impacted.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:22 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Spring is probably best, a lot of people don't move out in winter because it's the rainy season (most years) and moving when it's raining a lot really sucks. But once it hits May and June the market gets hit with the double whammy of new students looking for housing for fall and new college graduates who just got jobs and need a new apartment. There will be more vacancies but more people looking too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland