U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-22-2012, 01:49 PM
 
20 posts, read 41,489 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I've got a great offer on the table from my company to transfer to our San Ramon office. I've been out to the bay area several times and really like the area. I am not as familiar with San Ramon and the "far" East Bay (as I'd call it) so I wanted some advice on areas to live.

I've read up on the suburbs that sound nice - Pleasanton, Walnut Creek, Dublin, etc. They sound like great places for families but I am a single guy, 29, no kids. I love going to concerts and being around culture and ethnic food and so forth. I was looking at some of the areas in Oakland like Rockridge, Temescal, Lake Merritt.

Is Oakland a reasonable commute to San Ramon? I understand SR is tucked behind the mountains a bit so it sounds like a potential pain in the rear to commute. is it a better idea to live in a place like Walnut Creek and just drive in to Oakland for shows or BART to SF?

Thanks for any advice!!! I'm really excited about the move but got to get planning. I will be out there next month to look around so I wanted to get a few tips on where to look.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:02 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
622 posts, read 1,023,820 times
Reputation: 392
I used to have friends from San Ramon and going in to see them was a trek.

How much do you plan on heading out? Walnut Creek has a little downtown with some bars and that would be a real easy commute for you. I think it would be easier to live near work and then commute out to places like Berkeley, Oakland and the city by car or BART to go out. Unless you plan on heading out many times a week, that seems the best way to go. Plus, you could do that for a few months or a year, get a feel for the Bay Area and then move further out later.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM
 
20 posts, read 41,489 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwalton View Post
I used to have friends from San Ramon and going in to see them was a trek.

How much do you plan on heading out? Walnut Creek has a little downtown with some bars and that would be a real easy commute for you. I think it would be easier to live near work and then commute out to places like Berkeley, Oakland and the city by car or BART to go out. Unless you plan on heading out many times a week, that seems the best way to go. Plus, you could do that for a few months or a year, get a feel for the Bay Area and then move further out later.
RK - Were you traveling from Oakland or SF to visit your friends in San Ramon?

Work is going to be pretty intense while we get our project rolling so I imagine I'll be mostly a weekend warrior for getting out. However, I do like living in the city as I think it makes going out more likely with things near-by.

Any idea as to what should I anticipate in terms of a realistic AM and PM drive time from Oakland to San Ramon?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 04:29 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
622 posts, read 1,023,820 times
Reputation: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by createdculture View Post
RK - Were you traveling from Oakland or SF to visit your friends in San Ramon?

Work is going to be pretty intense while we get our project rolling so I imagine I'll be mostly a weekend warrior for getting out. However, I do like living in the city as I think it makes going out more likely with things near-by.

Any idea as to what should I anticipate in terms of a realistic AM and PM drive time from Oakland to San Ramon?
Well, my first experience with going to San Ramon was coming up from L.A. (That doesn't count. )

However, in law school, I actually had to clerk in someone's office out there, and I drove in from the city daily. Ugh.

It could be considered a backwards commute, but I don't think so as there is a work force in places like Walnut Creek and San Ramon. I'd think you'd be in there will those people going through the Caledcott Tunnel. In fact, another law school clerkship had be driving out to Sacramento from the city (not daily, but I'd usually come into the city for the weekends and drive straight to the office on Mondays.) I did the drive from San Francisco that you'd be doing at least part of the way from Oakland. The worst was the approach to the tunnel, so it might not be too bad. That was years ago, so the traffic patterns may have changed.

I just hate commuting in general. Your tolerance might be higher than mine, so maybe drive it when you're here.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Oakland CA
295 posts, read 416,054 times
Reputation: 166
San Ramon from Oakland in the morning and afternoon shouldn't be too bad because you will be going in the non commute direction. I live by the lake and 580 east in the morning is smooth sailing, its heading downtown and into san francisco that is difficult. non the less its still a bit of a drive, maybe 30 45 minutes from the downtown area, witch i would highly suggest for someone with your interests and in your age range. I would look at Adams point, Grand Lake, and Lakeside as good areas for you. Posably even Jack london Square. All these areas have easy access to the freeway and are near may bars dinning establishments and cultural events.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 08:32 PM
 
20 posts, read 41,489 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsba View Post
San Ramon from Oakland in the morning and afternoon shouldn't be too bad because you will be going in the non commute direction. I live by the lake and 580 east in the morning is smooth sailing, its heading downtown and into san francisco that is difficult. non the less its still a bit of a drive, maybe 30 45 minutes from the downtown area, witch i would highly suggest for someone with your interests and in your age range. I would look at Adams point, Grand Lake, and Lakeside as good areas for you. Posably even Jack london Square. All these areas have easy access to the freeway and are near may bars dinning establishments and cultural events.
Thanks for the suggestions!

It looks like there are two main ways to get from Oakland into San Ramon - one is CA-24E to 680S and the other 580 E to Crow Canyon Road for 7mi. It looks like google maps is showing about 35-40min for both of these. Do you know about traffic for Crow Canyon Road? I imagine it is probably a rural winding road. I'll try to give them both a drive while I'm out there, as well as checking out some of the East Bay 'burbs like Walnut Creek. My company will give me a hotel for a month to look around and find a place but I just wanted to get a feel while I'm there for a few days next month.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Oakland CA
295 posts, read 416,054 times
Reputation: 166
Ya i wouldn't take crow canyon. it would be best to just follow 580 out untill it runs into the 680 and head north into San Ramon.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 AM
 
1 posts, read 5,789 times
Reputation: 10
Hi - we're Realtors in San Ramon and have a 30-year old son born and raised here.

I think your best bet would be Walnut Creek - there's more nightlife there for someone your age. BART is right there and you can use it for quick jumps into Oakland or the City.

Being on the east side of the hills means you can get to Tahoe, Napa and other places quicker too. Let us know if you need help with a condo or home purchase.

[URL="http://www.TheHarperTeam.com"]Danville San Ramon Alamo Homes Real Estate[/URL]

BTW - expect housing prices in the San Ramon area to heat up - GE is bringing in 450 new employees... Walnut Creek prices won't be affected by this.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Dimond, Oakland, CA
109 posts, read 277,604 times
Reputation: 117
I know someone who commutes from downtown Oakland to San Ramon daily. Says 30 mins on 580 (don't take 24 home... the backup can extend to lafayette sometimes).

where are you coming from? if you are moving to the bay area to live in the bay area and enjoy all there is to enjoy (and you enjoy an urban environment), Oakland is worth the extra 10 miinutes than it would take you from walnut creek. I am your same age and i commute to milpitas daily. i moved here for work, but wouldn't sacrifice where I planned to live. the suburbs are hell... even san jose sucks. i really don't like walnut creek either, although it is one of the better suburbs. you only live once and life is short.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 12:33 PM
 
2,886 posts, read 4,210,913 times
Reputation: 2399
Quote:
Originally Posted by createdculture View Post
Do you know about traffic for Crow Canyon Road? I imagine it is probably a rural winding road.
Crow Canyon Road was probably once a rural road, but over the last number of decades, it's become a major thoroughfare in the area. It's actually one of the busiest roads. It just sounds quaint!

I would also suggest WC. I grew up there, and there's plenty of activity there, with good places to eat, some bars and nightlife. It's a nice walkable downtown, but definitely with a suburban feel. It's not funky or alternative like Oakland or SF. You will notice a lot of high end shopping and chain restaurants in one part of town, but there are also independent eateries and stores.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top