Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyBizzy47 View Post
Hi there, I'm a female, 23 years old and single. I live in New York State but have wanted to move to California for years now. Besides a cousin that lives in Fremont, I don't have any attachments and really would be willing to live anywhere.

There are definitely some things I look for in towns. I'm a small town girl and love small, mountain towns rather than big, bustling cities... on the other hand, I can't drive and that has forced me to have to stay in larger towns where I can get to everything (doesn't have to be too big, right now I live in a town of 20,000 and can get to everything I need). Also I'm out of college but not making much money yet, just over minimum wage. So wherever I move, the rents would have to be affordable.

If anybody has any thoughts or recommendations on some nice towns to check into, that would be appreciated greatly
Try Davis, it's a small town very safe & has a great University. Lot's of residents your age and while I doubt if you could afford an apartment on your own, you should be able to find a room to rent. You can get around on a bike quite nicely but if you wanted to travel to San Francisco you would be stuck taking a bus and that would involve quite a few transfers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 PM

44 posts, read 97,956 times
I second Midtown Sacramento and Davis as affordable fun places where you don't need a car. Plenty of young people, bars, restaurants, and relatively safe.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:33 PM

106 posts, read 139,204 times
I can't help but be interested in the posters situation since I too hope to move to So. CA (L.A. area) and do not drive. The main difference is that I'm a senior. I'm a homeowner but would be willing to rent for a while and want to increase the size of my current household which is small, so open to live-ins, roommates and tenants for my future "boardinghouse".

Old 06-15-2014, 02:16 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAOrganicFarmWannabe View Post
I can't help but be interested in the posters situation since I too hope to move to So. CA (L.A. area) and do not drive. The main difference is that I'm a senior. I'm a homeowner but would be willing to rent for a while and want to increase the size of my current household which is small, so open to live-ins, roommates and tenants for my future "boardinghouse".
Well, it's gonna cost you a bit to get a larger house where you'll have extra rooms to rent. LA is not cheap, other than heating/airconditioning bills. I think Oceanside might be a bit cheaper, that's halfway to San Diego, and the housing was hit hard by the bust (I don't know how it is now).

I'd say to spend a week vacationing in LA, it's not for everyone. Then again there are so many distinct neighborhoods that the odds are pretty good of getting something you like ..... if you can afford to live away from high-crime areas.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:14 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Alpaugh
Pixley
Taft
Holtville
Calipatria
El Centro
Yreka

etc, etc, etc.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,116 times
Thumbs up helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I know this thread is a month old, but just wanted to add my .02, since this is a pretty common type of post on the CA forums [also, many of these suggestions and comments are not really in line with the OP. Even if she was not specific as to geography, replies could either ask more questions or make a reasonable list.] I think central valley urban areas are most likely not what she was looking for, and she did say Arcata was on the list.
That narrows things down a bit.
I agree with these suggestions: Ashland, OR, just across the border-definitely give it a look via google, and the forums, at least.
Avoid Redding, for reasons mentioned, plus others.
Check out Sebastopol, in sonoma county, near santa rosa. It's just over an hour from SFO, and close to Marin county.
Chico-college town north
Davis and Santa Cruz [though they are more expensive, you can do car-free and a roomate option might be okay to start out.]
You might also love Petaluma, southern sonoma county, and Healdsburg, northern sonoma county is a fabulous place. Google their chamber of commerce and other sites for pics and info!

Ashland, OR, however, is about 20k, don't need a car, has affordable rentals, beautiful, not as much rain as the rest of oregon [fairly dry and brown, actually], and has something of an economy with the university and the shakespeare festival. It's also a little over an hour from Mt. Shasta, a small, lovely alpine community. Ashland is not really near other major metro areas, but Medford, next door, is decent sized and has a small airport. Ashland is pretty cosmopolitan in terms of amenities, for such a small town, so I don't think it would feel that isolated.

Of the places mentioned, my top 3 choices would probably be:
ashland, sebastopol and then any of these: petaluma/healdsburg/santa cruz, in terms of finding employment, not being too isolated, and fitting your interests as mentioned.

Hope the OP is still looking; if not, maybe this will help someone else with similar questions. Good luck!
i had to say thankyou ive benn having a really hard time tryng to find a affordable place to stay and when i say that i mean 600 $ i moved here from the south my home was a 3 bed room 2500 sqft huge bk yrd ,so ive been living from hotel room to hotel room but i am in one of th most expensive cities in the inland empire redlands goodness so i will now search the cities you redirected me to i came here with my youngest son to be with my oldest just to tuck my tail and go bk to the south ..but i just might have a glimmer of hope !thank you .

Old 08-31-2015, 07:15 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Uh that post you quoted is from 2012...

Things have changed a little, so you might still want to do a lot more research

Old 09-01-2015, 04:59 AM

14 posts, read 14,197 times
Bell Gardens, Norwalk, Pico Rivera, San Fernando, Duarte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland