Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM

11 posts, read 15,915 times

Advertisements

Hello,

To start I will be trying to rent an apartment in lower Pacific Hieghts.

How feasible is it to move yourself from out of state using a penske or uhaul truck? The part I am concerned about is arriving in San Francisco and unloading my belongings. Do I need a special parking permit? Do I need to reserve a space / time with my landlord? I just don't want to overlook something I take for granted here in the suburbs of the Phoenix area.

Also, will most elevators fit things like a mattress or a small couch?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 01:02 PM

330 posts, read 749,668 times
Welcome - I also moved from Phoenix. You will like it here.

As for moving in - it can be a pain. Honestly, I just double-parked the Uhaul I had out front of my apartment building and tried to move as quickly as possible. I didn't get a permit - I figured if by some chance I got a parking ticket, well, it was part of the costs of moving. I'm sure if you actually applied for a parking permit it would cost you a ton of money and you'd have to deal with the hassle and red-tape that goes along with dealing with the City. Probably more trouble then its worth. I'm guessing most cops would look the other way unless you are causing a traffic jam or its clearly an unsafe situation.

I had the keys to the truck in my hands at all time, so if someone needed me to move the Uhaul (either a neighbor or the police), I could right away. But that never happened. I traveled light so I was able to get moved-in in less than 30 minutes.

I think this is fairly normal - you see U-hauls, delivery trucks, etc...double parked all the time. I highly doubt most of these people get permits. But it kind of depends on your street. My street doesn't get a whole lot of traffic, and was wide enough that cars could get around the truck. Try to figure out ahead of time if parking a truck there is gonna cause a traffic jam. Your landlord should be able to tell you if your apartment has a freight elevator.

Good luck. I live on the third floor, no elevator, with the only access being a narrow, spiral staircase. I was so exhausted when I was done. I love living in a dense city environment, but every now and then it can be a huge pain. Moving is one of those times.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:09 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,189 times
Not a lot of buildings in that neighborhood will have elevators to begin with.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:17 PM

802 posts, read 2,264,946 times
As mentioned by SunDevil1212, you can get a permit (which I believe runs around $50) or run the risk of a ticket. If you are interested in getting a permit, note that they are issued by SFPD, not the MTA (Municipal Traffic Agency) which is usually responsible for parking permits.

Depending the street, you might be able to park without much of an issue. Note that Pine, Bush, and California, Gough, Franklin, Fillmore, and Divisadero are all major roads in Lower Pac Heights with lots of traffic so you might want to consider a permit if you are moving in on one of those streets. You might be able to get away without a permit on other, less heavily trafficked streets.

Also, if you are moving into a walk-up, note that older buildings have narrower staircases and hallways so your move might take longer than you might expect.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:27 PM

434 posts, read 1,018,943 times
You have my sympathy; I remember being concerned about just those issues when I planned a similar move. Good luck!

The U-Haul was easier to drive than I had thought it would be. The first forty-five minutes were uncomfortable, but after that, I adapted. The automatic transmission made a difference.

I suggest researching motels and hotels in advance, and calling ahead to ask about space in their parking lots for a rental truck, and parking lot security. Of course, you could just drive all the way without a sleep break ... but then you'd be plenty tired when you got here, and would have to handle the most taxing parts of the move (parking, dealing with the movers, etc.) while in less than ideal shape. I found that I could push myself to keep working -- packing, taping shut boxes, etc. -- when tired, but couldn't manufacture the attentiveness I would have had with a good night's rest. So, I stayed in a motel the night before, and was alert and refreshed enough to deal with the moving in the next a.m.

Your landlord should have information on what the elevator can handle.

I can't too strongly recommend Bay Area Checkbook, at checkbook.org. They have a section on moving, and rate individual movers. (And also rate many, many other businesses in the bay area: supermarkets, dentists, you name it) The $34 for two years is the best investment I made since I moved here. Yes, there's Yelp, but Yelp reviews are so easily faked.

Corrib Moving is a good outfit, or was, but there are others. I suggest making your reservation as far in advance as you can. Moving companies can book up quickly.

I double parked, but you're moving to a busy part of S.F., which sounds harder. I did make an effort to arrive at a little trafficked time of day, and am glad I did.

And finally: I wouldn't drive the 152 at night in a rental truck. During the day, fine, but not at night.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,494 times
Just a thought --

I flew in with a couple suitcases full of essentials (clothes, medicines, shoes). Small valuable stuff (mostly computers and electronics) was shipped FedEx ground. I bought new furniture from IKEA. Both FedEx and IKEA know how to make deliveries and brought my stuff in!

It has been very nice having not much, and what stuff I have being all new.

The first two nights were kind of rough, not having a bed yet, but I managed. To anyone trying this method, I suggest packing and shipping one box full of daily essential things: toiletries, towels, house cleaning stuff, TP, etc.. While those things are easy to replace and not very valuable, it's a huge pain to figure out how to buy everything simultaneously in an unfamiliar area.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 AM

11 posts, read 15,915 times
Thank you everyone all of the feedback is easing my nerves about the move!

I think I will try the double parking method since we're trying to get rid of as much of our stuff as we can right now and just unload as fast as possible. I'll look into the ground shipping option too, I never thought of taking that route.

"And finally: I wouldn't drive the 152 at night in a rental truck. During the day, fine, but not at night."

Why should I avoid driving this at night, I'm not that familiar with it, is it due to fog?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM

330 posts, read 749,668 times
I'm curious too...from what I recall the 152 is two lanes on each side with a median. I don't remember it being that difficult of the drive.

Regardless, a lot of people would take the 5 to 580 anyway. The bonus payoff being a drive across the Bay Bridge with awesome views of the city and the bay to welcome you to your new home.

Another option is to use one of those moving cubes/pods, like: The Best Moving & Storage Idea Ever for Self Storage, Portable Moving and Storage Solutions | PODS

I looked into it, it was a bit more than I wanted to spend...plus they required you to get a permit with the city to drop off your cube (which I believe they actually handled for you, not sure though). But it would certainly be a whole lot easier than the rental truck.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM

434 posts, read 1,018,943 times
I was on the 152 at night just a couple of weeks ago, which is why I thought to add that remark. (In fact, I think I returned to edit the post to add it!)

Here's an online article/blog post about the 152, which I googled up after returning from the trip.

California’s "Haunted" Highway - SkepticReport

During the day, it's pretty. Beautiful, even. A lovely, scenic drive. At night: one or two lanes in the dark, with plenty of traffic and freeway speeds. It felt dangerous, and I wasn't surprised to read the above-linked article calling it as much.

I would not have wanted to do that drive on the 152 at night in a big rental truck loaded with all my stuff. I did feel reasonably comfortable in it after forty-five minutes, as I wrote before, but I was still much, much more vulnerable as a driver in a much-larger-than-I-was-used-to vehicle that I'd driven all of one day.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland