Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 PM

137 posts, read 542,778 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

I'm moving to SF in 2-3 months, and I'm thinking about settling down in Inner Richmond.

However, I heard that it can be competitive to look for an apartment there, so I thought I'd expand my options.

I've heard that the Mission Bay area can be good. And I've also heard that the Outer Richmond/Sunset area can be good since it's close to public transportation.

I wouldn't mind saving money by living in the Outer Richmond/Sunset, especially since I work from home, so I won't need to commute to work.

I just want to live near public transit so that I can run errands and go out to social events at night without too much of a hassle.

I've heard that living in the Outer Richmond/Sunset is feasible since part of it is near a Muni line.

Can you guys point out which parts of the Outer Richmond/Sunset I could live in and not need a car to live comfortably?

I am also open to other areas as well.

If you guys can give me some good recommendations for areas to live in SF that are:

1. Safe (I'm a petite Asian woman living by myself).

2. Walkable and doesn't need a car to get around (I'll be getting rid of my car.)

3. Has Asian grocery stores nearby if possible (this is negotiable for me).

4. Under $1,700 a month for a studio or one bedroom...

...I'd really appreciate it.

I don't care about trendy stuff.

I just want a place that I can feel safe and comfortable in, and that is convenient for me to catch public transportation and walk around to get errands done.

If you guys can give me some recommendations, that'd be great

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,228,503 times
Cross Mission Bay off the list, you're not going to find anything for under $1,700 there. If you come across one on craigslist it is a scam.

I'm not going to go into Muni lines and such, you can find that information by googling SF muni map.

Richmond and Sunset are very similar to each other. They are almost interchangeable, family-oriented and a bit suburban neighborhood with a large Chinese population.

Personally I consider the Richmond District the safest part of SF. A bit boring and cold but safe. Obviously, the further you go west, the longer it takes to get to the heart of the city, the colder, and the cheaper the rent. The entire Richmond (except for Outer Richmond) is dominated by all things Asian. Inner Richmond has the most Asian grocery. Central Richmond has it too. Geary and Clement are where the shops/restaurants are. Don't overlook Lone Mountain and Laurel Heights, they are also part of the Richmond District, and they border Inner Richmond.

Outer Richmond is pretty much all served by Safeway and Fresh N Easy. The whole Richmond is suburban and family-oriented, and Outer Richmond is especially so. I don't think it's for singles unless they are avid surfers.

The 38 bus is pretty much the only thing that connects Richmond to the heart of the city and it's always crowded and slow. Keep that in mind.

Inner Sunset is more diverse than Inner Richmond, more walkable than Inner Richmond and has more public transport options. It is also cold like Richmond. It has a lot of Asian stuff but it's not the only thing happening there. Central Sunset is pretty much like Central Richmond, all Asians all the time. Outer Sunset has no major grocery store and one small Asian grocery. It is very suburban.

There are a lot of safe neighborhoods in SF, as a rule of thumb:

1. Anything north of California St. (aside from a few pockets in Chinatown) is very safe (and expensive).

2. Anything north of Geary Blvd and NOT bordering the Tenderloin is very safe (and expensive).

3. Anything north of Market St and NOT in the Tenderloin and not close to the housing projects in the Western Addition is safe.

4. MOST areas south of Market St. and north of 280 are safe, except for the areas around: a) the housing projects in the Southern part of Potrero Hill b) the gang war on Van Ness and Mission St. c) Market and Sixth St. d) housing project on Cezar Chavez and Folsom St.

5. Most areas south of 280 is safe, but it's mostly populated by immigrants and working class so many yuppies tend to avoid this parts. But beneath the rough surface, this area is generally safe assuming not too close to the Sunnydale project.

6. The area called Bayview is generally rough but has pockets of nice and safe streets.

7. Stay away from Hunter's Point.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:06 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
- Inner Richmond
- Inner Sunset
- Hayes Valley
- Lower Pacific Heights
- Glen Park
- the area around Dolores Park and Duboce Park
- Nob Hill/Russian Hill
- Cole Valley
- Noe Valley

I'd mainly look at these areas. $1700 would have gotten you a nice small 1br only a year ago but now probably only a studio.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 PM

42 posts, read 300,738 times
I agree with mayornaggar as those neighborhoods are fairly decent and safe. Regardless, living in the city anyone should be aware of your surroundings. Also, I think it's a matter of time, for those with stable jobs and good credit history, some people may consider purchasing a small home or condo which may be better than paying rent. Why line someone else's pocketbook? Then again, the economy is still too fragile to jump into a mortgage.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:36 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
Don't forget they have Zipcar in SF now for those times when you really NEED a car.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:08 AM

51 posts, read 227,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Cross Mission Bay off the list, you're not going to find anything for under $1,700 there. If you come across one on craigslist it is a scam.

I'm not going to go into Muni lines and such, you can find that information by googling SF muni map.

Richmond and Sunset are very similar to each other. They are almost interchangeable, family-oriented and a bit suburban neighborhood with a large Chinese population.

Personally I consider the Richmond District the safest part of SF. A bit boring and cold but safe. Obviously, the further you go west, the longer it takes to get to the heart of the city, the colder, and the cheaper the rent. The entire Richmond (except for Outer Richmond) is dominated by all things Asian. Inner Richmond has the most Asian grocery. Central Richmond has it too. Geary and Clement are where the shops/restaurants are. Don't overlook Lone Mountain and Laurel Heights, they are also part of the Richmond District, and they border Inner Richmond.

Outer Richmond is pretty much all served by Safeway and Fresh N Easy. The whole Richmond is suburban and family-oriented, and Outer Richmond is especially so. I don't think it's for singles unless they are avid surfers.

The 38 bus is pretty much the only thing that connects Richmond to the heart of the city and it's always crowded and slow. Keep that in mind.

Inner Sunset is more diverse than Inner Richmond, more walkable than Inner Richmond and has more public transport options. It is also cold like Richmond. It has a lot of Asian stuff but it's not the only thing happening there. Central Sunset is pretty much like Central Richmond, all Asians all the time. Outer Sunset has no major grocery store and one small Asian grocery. It is very suburban.

There are a lot of safe neighborhoods in SF, as a rule of thumb:

1. Anything north of California St. (aside from a few pockets in Chinatown) is very safe (and expensive).

2. Anything north of Geary Blvd and NOT bordering the Tenderloin is very safe (and expensive).

3. Anything north of Market St and NOT in the Tenderloin and not close to the housing projects in the Western Addition is safe.

4. MOST areas south of Market St. and north of 280 are safe, except for the areas around: a) the housing projects in the Southern part of Potrero Hill b) the gang war on Van Ness and Mission St. c) Market and Sixth St. d) housing project on Cezar Chavez and Folsom St.

5. Most areas south of 280 is safe, but it's mostly populated by immigrants and working class so many yuppies tend to avoid this parts. But beneath the rough surface, this area is generally safe assuming not too close to the Sunnydale project.

6. The area called Bayview is generally rough but has pockets of nice and safe streets.

7. Stay away from Hunter's Point.

Okay, I'll admit that I'm not from Oakland, nor am I too familiar with the districts, so thats why I push for living in San Francisco more. I have been to Rockridge and the City of Piedmont before. These are nice areas and I'm sure there are others in Oakland, but I don't know much about them.

The above info about San Francisco is a pretty good summary. The pointers are pretty good, but in general if looking at a map of San Francisco, be careful in navigating areas in the southeast. The west, and north are okay. Mission Bay is very nice, but yes, it is kinda of pricey.

Its true that the Sunset and Richmond are now flooded with Asians. In the Sunset, your Asian (mainly Chinese) commerical streets will be Irving in the North, Noriega in cental, and Taraval in the south. And yea since it is the suburbs, public transit to like downtown and other shopping areas will not be a problem. You got two light rails trains and several busses that go to downtown. Also the Safeway in Sunset is in Central Sunset on Noriega, easily accessible by bus if needed. Others restaurants in the area as well.

Richmond probably is safer then Sunset. There have been a few recent incidents in the sunset involing marijuna growth houses, prostitution raids, burglaries, and even a stabbing of a restaurant owner in the sunset. There are also some gangs in the outer sunset. But generally, if you mind your own business, you won't have to worry about them. The inner sunset along 9th Ave is a commerical street wih more diverse businesses. Richmond is probably safer because there is less activity going on and more residential.

Bottom line, the biggest alternative to inner Richmond, I would recommend either inner or central sunset or east of Sunset Blvd. There are more things to do in this area. Most convenient would be living along Noriega or Taraval and between 19th Ave and 35 Ave. This area would be in between all the things you need and is safe.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:44 PM

434 posts, read 1,018,724 times
If you play around with the date range on the crimemapping web site:

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

... you can get a reasonable idea of crime rates in different S.F. locales. You also can call the local police department. ( San Francisco Police Department : Stations

Muni maps are here: Official Muni Maps

Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 19,253 times
Just a small thing to add, but if accessibility is your most important requirement, I would try to stay as "Inner" as possible in either the Richmond or the Sunset, because in both you have Muni and great retail close by, even if you get out into the 20-30 Avenues. You'll also get great Asian grocery stores and restaurants on both sides in certain pockets. It's just that the farther out you go, the more fog/colder temperatures you get, and longer commutes.

Good luck!

Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 PM

137 posts, read 542,778 times
How is Bernal Heights? I'm willing to have roommates, so I looked at some rooms, and there's a nice one available in Bernal Heights.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:43 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Muni- Lines, the #38 is the heaviest traveled in anyones system, every 5 minutes during rush hour from anywhere along Geary. The #1 Trackless Trolley along California is an adventure that winds up in Chinatown. From Sunset any of the trolleys will get you downtown quickly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland