Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I think it's a totally doable trip, and I know many people who have done much more driving that just that -- going to Vegas, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and back again. This is nothing. SF to Yosemite is a 4 hour drive. Yosemite to SD is probably about 9 hours. SD to SF is 8 hours. That's really only three big days of driving. Five years ago, we rented a car in the Bay Area and drove up to Vancouver, BC to visit friends, stopping in Ashland, OR (6 hours), Portland (+4 hours), and Seattle (+3 hours) along the way, then adding another 3 hours to Vancouver. That's a 16 hour distance from the Bay Area. Then, we had to drive back of course. We spent two weeks doing this, and it was not at all strenuous, even though it's much farther than your route. I think it sounds perfect.

As for parking in SF, we live right across the bridge from SF and always drive in. We almost never have trouble finding parking anywhere, but then again, we have really great parking luck. The bigger problem is the cost of parking in SF. It racks up fast.

Good to hear. We want to see as much as possible without heading home dead tired! And things can LOOK feasible on a map but it doesn't always translate into such in person. Thinking we may do San Francisco first now and then we're free to stretch out the rest of the trip before heading back there for our flight out. And skipping the car for sure while we're there! Last thing I want to be doing is looking for parking and such while my vacation meter is running
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The OP said late March or April. In most years 120 would be no go during that time.
DUH! Another fine example of me not reading the post in it's entirety.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM

180 posts, read 211,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinniaDreamer View Post
I and the hubbie are planning a road trip through California and our tentative route will have us flying into San Francisco then driving to Yosemite onto Death Valley. From there, crossover to San Diego and then winding up the coast back to San Fran. Oh this is a two week trip.....

Sound crazy?

We like to keep our plans loose so we can opt to stay longer/shorter in any one area or even change the route. And our timeframe is the end of March into April 2013.

Any feedback would be appreciated.....we're coming from the great state of NY so California is a lot of long ago memories as kids. Have wanted to go back ever since!!!
You have enough time to do this. I did a similar trip last summer with a friend from South Korea. We also spent 2 weeks and she really enjoyed it. From San Diego go to Los Angeles to Santa Barbara to Pismo Beach/San Louis Obsipo to (CA-1) Monterey/Santa Cruz to San Francisco. There are nice stops along the way, but these are the cities I'd get a hotel. Some places to check out along the way... La Jolla, Laguna Beach, Solvang, Piedras Blancas Beach - San Simeon (Wild Elephant Seals), Big Sur (Hearst Castle).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland