Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 PM

17 posts, read 48,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cag122 View Post
If you read my other posts and responses from others you would have a better idea of the flow of this thread.
I was reading this thread actually - I was already put off by your requesting gentrified neighborhoods, naming my neighborhood "...it seems the consensus for overall quality of life with some gentrification -- are Grand Lake/Lakeshore/Adams Point/Piedmont Ave." but I didn't feel the need to say anything until you said "Hopefully Oakland will gain even more momentum and be a desirable place for people in Northern California to live." Gentrification isn't necessarily a good thing for long time inhabitants of an area, and unless you think these neighborhoods were crap before this gentrification (which you couldn't, being an 'outsider' and all) then I think you could understand why some of us are opposed to it.

Quote:
My husband and I have lived/worked in NYC (not just the nice parts) our entire lives (my parents were born and raised in Queens and his parents moved to Brooklyn in the 70's from the Midwest when their now very nice neighborhood was not good). We have family who have lived in West Oakland for over 30 years too, so we get it.
I don't see what any of this has to do with my reply to you, and I'm not sure you do "get it" if you're so confused as to why I said what I said - saying I'm just defensive.

Quote:
It's unfortunate if you can't understand this. I am equally bothered by your presumptuous post - you shouldn't make assumptions about people before knowing their whole story. And please don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about Oakland being a 'backwards desolate city' and never implied being 'scared of an entire city.'
That wasn't a direct quote, but I assumed you knew that and would get where I was coming from - my apologies if I confused you.

Quote:
This post is out of context and just not accurate.
My post is not 'out of context' as it was in direct response to your post, specifically your comment: "Hopefully Oakland will gain even more momentum and be a desirable place for people in Northern California to live."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 PM

28 posts, read 100,888 times
Didn't mean to offend. Gentrification was the wrong choice of words. It's apparent Oakland is not just becoming a good place to live. There are a lot of spots in California to choose from but there is something special about Oakland. Wouldn't want to live there otherwise.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove View Post
I was reading this thread actually - I was already put off by your requesting gentrified neighborhoods, naming my neighborhood "...it seems the consensus for overall quality of life with some gentrification -- are Grand Lake/Lakeshore/Adams Point/Piedmont Ave."
Actually your perception is off. There are areas in Oakland that are gentrifying (let's say Temescal or Uptown or Dimond or Laurel or Adams Point). There are other areas that have been nice for a long time, and other people are just now catching on. I think it would be hard-pressed to find any evidence that areas like the Glenview, Trestle Glen, Crocker Highlands, Rockridge, Piedmont Ave were ever "in need of gentrification."

Grand Lake/Lakeshore have seen a population shift, as more people caught on they were nice. It is a lot less African-American than it used to be, and this shift has happened in the past 10-15 years.

And of course there are areas that are a little further behind on the gentrification curve.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Actually your perception is off. There are areas in Oakland that are gentrifying (let's say Temescal or Uptown or Dimond or Laurel or Adams Point). There are other areas that have been nice for a long time, and other people are just now catching on. I think it would be hard-pressed to find any evidence that areas like the Glenview, Trestle Glen, Crocker Highlands, Rockridge, Piedmont Ave were ever "in need of gentrification."

Grand Lake/Lakeshore have seen a population shift, as more people caught on they were nice. It is a lot less African-American than it used to be, and this shift has happened in the past 10-15 years.

And of course there are areas that are a little further behind on the gentrification curve.
If someone were looking for information on neighborhoods to live in Brooklyn I would feel a responsibility to give them a similarly unbiased appraisal.

It has become apparent, however, that there are some present here with valid points yet misguided anger. Most people come to sites like this seeking helpful advice not to be barraged with rants and have their emails picked apart piece by piece.

Over the negativity and still looking forward to our move to Oakland

Old 03-19-2012, 04:16 AM

17 posts, read 48,353 times
Quote:
If someone were looking for information on neighborhoods to live in Brooklyn I would feel a responsibility to give them a similarly unbiased appraisal.
This is a public forum, not a an occupational one - no one here is responsible for giving info, they choose to help out. That's a good thing, but it's also a forum for discussion. I've made it a point to let my feelings on the rising Oakland migration be known here before (in case others had opinions on it), and your comments inspired another post. That's all.

Quote:
It has become apparent, however, that there are some present here with valid points yet misguided anger. Most people come to sites like this seeking helpful advice not to be barraged with rants and have their emails picked apart piece by piece.
I assume you're talking about me here, but you're mistaken. I wasn't nor am I currently angry. I was simply giving my opinion on a few comments you made. It seems though that I made you a bit angry in the process, that wasn't my intention. I tried making that clear in my last post.

People don't only come here for helpful advice, they also come here to discuss topics related to the SF Bay Area. As a transplant moving to Oakland you may want to let your guard down a bit when it comes to hearing an opposing opinion, especially when it comes to this city. The culture here really isn't like that of NY, people are pretty relaxed here even when they disagree w/you. It's all love in the bay!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove View Post
This is a public forum, not a an occupational one - no one here is responsible for giving info, they choose to help out. That's a good thing, but it's also a forum for discussion. I've made it a point to let my feelings on the rising Oakland migration be known here before (in case others had opinions on it), and your comments inspired another post. That's all.

I assume you're talking about me here, but you're mistaken. I wasn't nor am I currently angry. I was simply giving my opinion on a few comments you made. It seems though that I made you a bit angry in the process, that wasn't my intention. I tried making that clear in my last post.

People don't only come here for helpful advice, they also come here to discuss topics related to the SF Bay Area. As a transplant moving to Oakland you may want to let your guard down a bit when it comes to hearing an opposing opinion, especially when it comes to this city. The culture here really isn't like that of NY, people are pretty relaxed here even when they disagree w/you. It's all love in the bay!
Understood. I look forward to immersing myself in a more relaxed environment. As I've expressed, there is something special about the East Bay that I know will make it a good fit for us.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:39 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

it's not just a population shift in the grand lake area.i live in crocker highlands and i would say that area and the lakeshore/grand retail corrider has gone more upscale .there were no restaurants on par with camino ,boot and shoe service and mezze prior to 7 years ago. that retail corrider appeared to be on it's last leg before the city put up redevelopment funds.
the trader joes was a worn down qfc.
now the new people moving into crocker highlands appear to either have more money or more of a willingness to spend it.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 PM

32 posts, read 41,866 times
I am a native New Yorker (mostly Manhattan - Washington Heights, and Brooklyn - Ocean Parkway), and feel in terms of any other geographic place, the Bay Area is most satisfactory if you are looking for a similar vibe and diversity. Oakland is a lovely place with beautiful old architecture (and some not so beautiful). As in NY, you must pick your own little pocket. I believe you will know when you find your new hood I find the people to be the warmest and friendliest in the Bay Area. It is one of the most diverse, integrated communities existing in America. I actually am apartment hunting there now. I am currently living on The Peninsula (i.e. San Jose). I am greatful that I had a safe place to land when I came out here from NY, however, it is a bit boring (for me, anyway). As much as I am excited about Oakland, there ARE some pretty unsafe areas. Like any other major city, this exists. I would not let it keep me away from all that is great about it. I would simply exercise the common sense you would in any new, major city. Today, for example, I was checking out some apartments and while waiting for landlords, etc., EVERYONE who passed said "hello" and smiled. Sweet!!! If you will be keeping a car, perhaps you can drive around and explore the different parts of the city to see what feels safe and which parts are still in transition. I feel a lot has to do with your attitude. If you hail from Red Hook (a wonderful hood!!!), you will do great out here. Btw, I am an RN and there are many health care jobs out here All the best in your search and many blessings in your new home!

Old 03-22-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carableu View Post
I am a native New Yorker (mostly Manhattan - Washington Heights, and Brooklyn - Ocean Parkway), and feel in terms of any other geographic place, the Bay Area is most satisfactory if you are looking for a similar vibe and diversity. Oakland is a lovely place with beautiful old architecture (and some not so beautiful). As in NY, you must pick your own little pocket. I believe you will know when you find your new hood I find the people to be the warmest and friendliest in the Bay Area. It is one of the most diverse, integrated communities existing in America. I actually am apartment hunting there now. I am currently living on The Peninsula (i.e. San Jose). I am greatful that I had a safe place to land when I came out here from NY, however, it is a bit boring (for me, anyway). As much as I am excited about Oakland, there ARE some pretty unsafe areas. Like any other major city, this exists. I would not let it keep me away from all that is great about it. I would simply exercise the common sense you would in any new, major city. Today, for example, I was checking out some apartments and while waiting for landlords, etc., EVERYONE who passed said "hello" and smiled. Sweet!!! If you will be keeping a car, perhaps you can drive around and explore the different parts of the city to see what feels safe and which parts are still in transition. I feel a lot has to do with your attitude. If you hail from Red Hook (a wonderful hood!!!), you will do great out here. Btw, I am an RN and there are many health care jobs out here All the best in your search and many blessings in your new home!

Carableu, Thank you for the supportive, friendly and informative response. It's nice to hear from a former NYer! My husband and I are most-definitely moving to Oakland and have identified some great areas for us that we feel will be a great fit with regards to safety, convenience, diversity and of course access to some of the good stuff in Oakland - food, entertainment, outdoor activities, etc. It seems like most of Oakland has something unique to offer. Yes, big-city common sense always at work. I love to hear that you had such a nice experience with passersby while waiting around for landlords. I'm not surprised because through this site and others we know personally, it's been said repeatedly that the east Bay is a really friendly place We are very excited about the move, I just need to find a job! Thanks again for your well wishes

Old 03-24-2012, 06:39 AM

203 posts, read 428,291 times
I am coming to SF from BK Heights. Open for any neighborhood in SF or East Bay. I will be working mostly from home office as a consultant for private equity firms. I loved where I am from and woukd like to have a similar feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland