Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 PM

208 posts, read 837,551 times

Advertisements

What information do Bay Area residents and/or San Franciscans, on this site, have to offer on their knowledge of Presidio Terrace.

People seem to like the fact that it is the only truly gated community in San Francisco. People like the security of living on a gated street (which are quite common in Los Angeles). But it seems no different than living anywhere in the San Francisco area since they never actually close the gate and anyone could drive right in and the security guard doesn't seem to care.

Am I wrong? I am interested in hearing other stories and experiences that others may have with Presidio Terrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Its not a gated community. Its a circular drive but people can drive in and out freely.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its not a gated community. Its a circular drive but people can drive in and out freely.
Well...it is gated. And they have a 24-hour security guard "manning" the entrance. I just don't understand why they never close the gate. Kinda makes it pointless.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
Well...it is gated. And they have a 24-hour security guard "manning" the entrance. I just don't understand why they never close the gate. Kinda makes it pointless.
Well, there is a gate but its never closed(seems more historic and decorative than anything) and I've never been stopped or have even seen a security guard the countless times Ive gone there to visit my friend whose lived there for over 40 years.

Perhaps residents contract a private security company to keep a look out, but outsiders dont have to check in or ask permission to enter, at all.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, there is a gate but its never closed(seems more historic and decorative than anything) and I've never been stopped or have even seen a security guard the countless times Ive gone there to visit my friend whose lived there for over 40 years.

Perhaps residents contract a private security company to keep a look out, but outsiders dont have to check in or ask permission to enter, at all.
Interesting. Do you think they should gate it?

I think they would encourage more people to live there if they did.
I was looking at a cute 3,000 sq. ft. house there today and questioned why I would have to pay HOA fees which include the security guard if it isn't a truly gated street.

For the price they asked for. I could buy a much larger home in St. Francis Wood with an actual backyard. Same difference considering they don't use the gate.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:01 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
Gating Presidio Terrace is kinda pointless. I used to live a few blocks from there. The worst criminals you find there are grandmas who drive too slowly. If your home still get invaded with a security guard on duty in the safest hood in SF, you probably did something.

St. Francis Wood is nice too but you're a bit further out.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Gating Presidio Terrace is kinda pointless. I used to live a few blocks from there. The worst criminals you find there are grandmas who drive too slowly. If your home still get invaded with a security guard on duty in the safest hood in SF, you probably did something.

St. Francis Wood is nice too but you're a bit further out.

Haha! Very true!!!
St. Francis Wood is further out, but I love the suburban atmosphere in one of the most cosmopolitan global cities in the world.
Marin County may have the sun and homes with pools, but I don't want to be a Marinite (...anymore.....I grew up in Belvedere) . I want to stay a San Franciscan.
From what people have told me. There are security guards and watchdogs at St. Francis Wood as well. Though I do not know if they still have that.
Forest Hill is also another great neighborhood. They also have community events (like an annual Xmas party) only open to other Forest Hill residents.
And I think SFW has a clubhouse.

I guess I was a bit ignorant about Presidio Terrance. My spouse and I thought is was a gated street like what is found commonly in Southern California, which is where we lived for 15 years.
I think that is why we were a bit confused to find a gated street that isn't gated.
It still is a wonderful area to live.
For such a metropolitan city, SF has many wonderful pockets of suburbia. Especially in the West Portal area.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:43 AM

370 posts, read 862,987 times
i believe Senator Dianne Feinstein lives in presidio terrace which is why that law enforcement car is parked in front of the entrance.

However, i know that car is often empty and often for show because i ride by bike by there frequently...

Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
What information do Bay Area residents and/or San Franciscans, on this site, have to offer on their knowledge of Presidio Terrace.

People seem to like the fact that it is the only truly gated community in San Francisco. People like the security of living on a gated street (which are quite common in Los Angeles). But it seems no different than living anywhere in the San Francisco area since they never actually close the gate and anyone could drive right in and the security guard doesn't seem to care.

Am I wrong? I am interested in hearing other stories and experiences that others may have with Presidio Terrace.
Back in the early 1900's, only white people were allowed to purchase houses on the street. I think there was actually a written clause about denying anyone other than Caucasian from living here (I'm sure that's been changed since). The houses were actually built to keep wealthy San Franciscans from leaving the City after the 1906 earthquake.

There were also a lot of prominent architects that designed the houses...which is why they're so beautiful.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
i believe Senator Dianne Feinstein lives in presidio terrace which is why that law enforcement car is parked in front of the entrance.

However, i know that car is often empty and often for show because i ride by bike by there frequently...
There still is a security guard on duty. At the entrance there is this little "booth" (whatever you want to call it) where a 24-hour guard is. I met him yesterday. He told me they once employed a German Shepard as a watchdog, but after it died they never got a new one.

The guy was pretty old too, which makes me wonder once he dies...will they get a new security guard?

There are HOA fees which pay for the upkeep of the street and the security.
There is only one house for sale in the street. As most of the residents are "old money" and just pass the homes to the next of kin, I guess, after they die.

I find the home in SFW to be a lot nicer IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland