U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 AM

10 posts, read 40,120 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a job in Fremont for about 90K/year, we currently live in Windsor, Ontario (just across the border from Detroit, Michigan). Windsor is a small and safe city compared to San Fran, I can literally walk my dogs at 3am in most neighbourhoods and not be bothered, leave car doors unloacked and run a 20% chance someone will go through it or steal it. We are in our mid-late 20's and I am absolutely terrified to make this big move.
I think I have been researching the San Fran/East Bay area way too much and I'm only reading mainly bad things about the area, and I don't want to base my move on what the internet has to say. I was hoping I could get some human input from people that have lived there or currently live there now.
We like the nightlife, travelling, and cultures. We also like to stay home during the week, excercise, and enjoy the outdoors as we have 2 little chihuahuas that I would love to walk daily. My main concern is where will I feel most safe walking down the street in the East Bay area with a relatively short commute to Fremont, and some excitement with restaraunts, and nightlife? Please comment on any of the listed below:
-safest area/less crime
-where is the warmer weather
-short commute to Fremont
-Earthquakes ....I'm terrified of this, are they bad or do you get used to them?
-nightlife
-Outdoor Activities
P.S. I am a very friendly and happy person, I've been reading that people in that area are miserable and rude, is this true?
Please help? I hope you can change my mind about moving to East Bay
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 AM

357 posts, read 576,079 times
Whoa you really need to take it easy. The East Bay is in my opinion one of the best places to live. The weather's phenomenal, the people are very diverse, and there's tons of recreation opportunities just to name a few reasons.

There's plenty of safe places to live in the East Bay, some forums make it sound like the whole region is gang-infested which is not true. The best crime free is Fremont, Pleasanton, Dublin, Livermore, Castro Valley, to a slightly lesser degree Newark and Union City. However, other cities such as Oakland and San Leandro/Berkeley have plenty of nice areas but have bad reputations because of SOME crime filled areas.
Weather-Inland towards Dublin/Pleasanton is where it is warmer, 86 average in summer versus only 78 in Fremont area.
Commute: Dublin/Pleasanton to Fremont would be a little annoying, but it's only 15 miles, however the 680 freeway which is the only way to go does get pretty bad. Union City, Newark, and Fremont itself would be where I'd look.
Outdoor activities: I'd say there's plenty no matter where you live, Mission Peak in Fremont, Pleasanton Ridge in Pleasanton, etc.
Nightlife: This is only downside, the only place for nightlife is San Jose, Oakland/Berkeley, or of course San Francisco or Palo Alto. All drivable of course, but yes you have to go outside the area for it.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:43 AM

35,653 posts, read 62,943,231 times
The East Bay has 2.6 Million people and covers 1500 square miles, and you are throwing a huge blanket over the entire region? Classy.

Please dont move here, you sound like someone who would LOVE the Peninsula.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 AM

ippi76: Thank you so much for your input, you've made me feel a lot better about moving out that way. I was excited at first, but it's all of the negative posts and websites that started to scare me. Thanks to you I am back to being excited about moving

18Montclair: I must say I'm a little bit confused and offended by your post. The only information I have about East Bay is from the internet, I wasn't making any assumptions about it, the information I did gather from it scared the heck out of me. I apologize if I've offended you in any way, but that is why I decided to create this thread so I can find out more about it.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1986 View Post

18Montclair: I must say I'm a little bit confused and offended by your post.
Your still young and apparently havent learned this yet so let me help you out with this valuable pearl of wisdom:

No one can offend you unless you let them.

Quote:
I've been reading that people in that area are miserable and rude
Makes me wonder about the disposition of those who made these remarks.

Quote:
I hope you can change my mind about moving to East Bay
Why should we waste our time trying to convince you that where we live is worthy of your presence?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM

10,925 posts, read 6,401,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Please dont move here, you sound like someone who would LOVE the Peninsula.
Was that necessary?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 PM

Hahahaaha.....Oh 18Montclair let me do you a HUGE favour, if I move to East Bay I will be sure to never be friends with someone like you, nor would I even acknowledge someone like you. Worthy of my presence? I love how you make out to look like some kind of snob, you must like judging people you don't know? So let me do you a favour and I will kindly ask you to please stop leaving miserable remarks on my thread.
I don't think you deserve to be in anyone's presence, you should be living in the desert somewhere with a cactus as a friend....and I'd truly feel bad for that cactus.
Please go away and be rude to someone else.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1986 View Post
Hahahaaha.....Oh 18Montclair let me do you a HUGE favour, if I move to East Bay I will be sure to never be friends with someone like you, nor would I even acknowledge someone like you. Worthy of my presence? I love how you make out to look like some kind of snob, you must like judging people you don't know? So let me do you a favour and I will kindly ask you to please stop leaving miserable remarks on my thread.
I don't think you deserve to be in anyone's presence, you should be living in the desert somewhere with a cactus as a friend....and I'd truly feel bad for that cactus.
Please go away and be rude to someone else.
Dont be upset that your own words condemn you.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Was that necessary?
Thank you, all I wanted was someone's input on what it's like to live there....I am very scared and I am the type of person that gets nervous about everything. All I wanted was info.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:46 PM

Way to start out a thread. "I hope you can change my mind about the East Bay'

Person please, who is you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland