Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:12 PM

7 posts, read 19,353 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

Great looking forum here.

I currently live with my girlfriend in El Segundo (LA area). We're considering relocating to the bay area - I will be working in Menlo Park and she in Walnut Creek.

We realize this may not be an ideal split, but it is what it is.

Can you recommend come communities to look into? We're young, no kids so schools don't really matter. We're comfortable around the $1400-1500 range for a 1 bedroom apartment - I'm confident we'll need every bit of that budget for an apartment, if prices there are anything like LA.

We prefer quieter suburbs (low traffic, easy to park and shop on the weekends), and don't mind short drives for errands, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 06:13 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,697,911 times
Probably the worst possible job location combo. There isn't really anything in the middle. And everything somewhat between is actually more urban than it sounds like you would like. Who gets the short end of the stick on the commute? All of the areas immediately surrounding Walnut Creek or Menlo Park are suburban and would suit your needs (or those towns themselves) but they are about 50 miles apart.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. I would say that my job in Menlo Park is more permanent so we wouldn't mind a slightly longer commute to Walnut Creek. What's up with Dublin?

Old 03-11-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I would say that my job in Menlo Park is more permanent so we wouldn't mind a slightly longer commute to Walnut Creek. What's up with Dublin?
Perfectly pleasant. Good schools. Your budget should work. There are lots of newer apartments. It takes around 15 minutes to get to Walnut Creek from there. There are even a couple of areas that are kinda walkable. (Most of the new section is actually pretty walkable).

It is pretty generic, there isn't really any charm to speak of. Mostly chain restaurants, but in the past couple of years there has been an explosion of Asian restaurants opening.

It is a little more diverse/poorer than its neighbors but it is an middle to upper middle class area. If people tell you Dublin is sketchy/dangerous/and use diverse as a euphemism to be racist just ignore them. Those people are just snooty and complaining that there are a lot more Asian and black people than there used to be 10-15 years ago.
(My parents moved there in the early 90s, there were so few black people that when I came home from college, my parents would send me on an errand at the grocery store. Inevitably he would forget to tell me something. He would call the store and by the time I walked in, the workers would know it was my dad (by name) who called and asked me to pick up some bread. To give you a sense on how small town it used to be 15 years ago). 15 years ago there were probably 15 asian families and 2 black familes. The population doubled since then, and now it is probably 20-25% asian and 5% black.

There is like one "bad" apartment complex in town (read lower middle class). Nothing bad happens in Dublin, except for tea party people trying to take over city planning meetings and some family friendly revelry on St. Patrick's Day.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 PM

Thanks for all the help, Jade!

That doesn't sound exactly what we're looking for, we do enjoy the 'curb appeal' of a well known neighborhood, but i'll check Dublin as well.

Do the suburbs of Dublin fit my needs? What are the best ones?

Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 PM

I see that Dublin has a BART stop. Is Dublin to Walnut Creek a realistic commute via Bart?

Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
I see that Dublin has a BART stop. Is Dublin to Walnut Creek a realistic commute via Bart?
No, but there is a bus from Dublin BART to Walnut Creek BART. The BART ride would be probably an 90 minutes. It doesn't go directly from Walnut Creek to Dublin.

Frankly, there isn't much difference between Dublin, Pleasanton, or San Ramon other than the number of snootier people. They look the same, they have the same housing stock, same amenities. There are just a few extra snootier people in Pleasanton or San Ramon. These places feel the most like SoCal suburbs in the Bay Area. You don't want to live in San Ramon, and commute to Menlo Park. It would be extra annoying.

Castro Valley, San Leandro. San Lorenzo aren't as nice as Dublin. Castro Valley is actually kinda rural. You could look at Fremont or Union City. These are easier commutes to Menlo Park, but much harder to get to Walnut Creek. (Probably 40 minutes -- driving only) Dublin is actually the best option, since it isn't far from the freeways to Walnut Creek, and at a decent juncture to get to 880.

(I am anti-suburb, because transit access and walkability are pretty important to me, but Dublin is definitely a nice suburb. Probably one of the best values in the Bay Area. Especially if you want a newer apartment or condo.)

Living anywhere near Menlo Park means it will take at least an hour to get to Walnut Creek: during off peak times.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 PM

297 posts, read 763,790 times
Default options

The Bart from Dublin does not go to WC, so she would have to take the Dublin bart to Oakland, and then switch trains and go to WC from there, driving would be significantly faster.

You should know that the commute from Dublin to Menlo Park is going to be pretty horrible. People do it every day, but I personally wouldn't be able to handle it. The commutes from East Bay to the Peninsula or south bay are all horrendous. Commuting the opposite way is not great either, but much better (less traffic).

One option to consider would be Millbrae. The commute to WC can be done by Bart and the commute to Menlo Park can be done on Caltrain (assuming your workplace is nearby or has a shuttle). Also consider Daly City, its not the most charming place, and has lots of fog, but the Bart ride to WC would be shorter and easier since there's more trains leaving there then Millbrae, and you could drive to Menlo Park via 280 (one of the best freeways to commute on). If you go to work at the same time, you could even consider Pacifica, its nicer then Daly City, and on your way to work you could drop off your girlfriend at Bart.

Per other people on this board (I'm not that familiar), Castro Valley is supposed to be pretty nice, even if Hayward and San Leandro are not that great. Hayward hills are supposed to be nice also.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:03 AM

77 posts, read 316,090 times
San Francisco?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,683,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeplastictrees View Post
San Francisco?
Not at $1400 for a 1BR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland