Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:07 AM

880 posts, read 1,799,390 times

Advertisements

As far as I'm concerned, the fewer NY whiners,the better, good riddance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 01:08 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menlo88 View Post
But do I even have a choice? Being in the tech industry, it seems that there are less opportunities once you leave this area and there is no way in hell i'm moving down closer to work in suburban office park hell in the Valley. Especially at my young age and with my interests. Oh God, why did I have to be into computers why did I have to be into computers...

The only plus is with the money I make I can afford to high tail it out of here in the next 10 years or so, but 10 years..Ugh.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:09 AM

880 posts, read 1,799,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac6270 View Post
You are right. I have chosen the wrong city. That is why I am moving. SF should never be compared to NYC, maybe Denver or New Orleans. I visited SF about 4 times in the years prior to moving here. Unfortunately I stayed at hotels in Union Square all of those times. Union Square and areas near there feel like a bustling city. I have lived in 4 different east coast cities in my life and would gladly move back to any of them. Some people love the proximity to hiking or Tahoe. I just thought the city had more going for it. Come to Upper Haight after 10 p.m. and convince me that theres anything going on besides beer bars. Or Lower Haight for that matter. Western Addition anyone? So goodbye SF, you can keep your skyline, bad dressed people, and figs on a plate.
What are you waiting for, kick rocks.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:31 AM

506 posts, read 1,154,208 times
Aha! I am starting to understand the true underlying complaint, both here and from some New Yorkers. It's basically, "I spent a lot of effort learning to coordinate designer clothes and schmooze, and no one in San Francisco cares about that, so I hate it."

Wherever it is you have this high-paying tech job... you know, your boss(es)? The ones who founded the company? They thought it was valuable to be in an area where creativity, daring, and intelligence were more valuable than appearance or connections. (And also the weather is nice.) There's something to that.

You can, as many people have said, go find a tech job in all sorts of other big "World Class" cities. I imagine you'd be happier there. In the meantime, though, you might want to try to appreciate what's special about where you are.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:15 AM

21,530 posts, read 8,714,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Have you ever been to Glen Park in summer? It's not as foggy as sunset but it is definitely on the foggier side.
Yes, I used to live in Glen Park. From my apartment I could see the fog spilling over Twin Peaks and dissipating before it reached my neighborhood. I don't doubt that there could be fog there occasionally, but it's not a frequent occurrence in the summer.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 AM

622 posts, read 1,145,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoSF View Post
You're a sweetheart.

It's not that easy to just get up and leave in this economy. Especially if the OP is being paid well here.
Thanks. I might not like what you have to say, but you can still use NextBus.com.

Anyway, sure it's hard, but I've moved cross-country both ways once without a job (stupid, but I did it). Recently, I moved back and with enough clients on the books that I'm working and all is well.

If the OP is in tech then there are a crap load of start-ups and companies in NYC that want to hire him. I don't buy that he's tethered here for a decade unless there is more to the story than he's sharing. People in tech move from jobs and locations a lot. NYC is now giving Silicon Valley a serious run for its money when it comes to what's going on there between becoming a major tech hub AND having everyone else there: banking, business, fashion, publishing, marketing, etc there is really a big need for skilled tech workers there. If you're in tech, it's probably an easier transition to NYC than most other industries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the fewer NY whiners,the better, good riddance.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:25 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times
The Bay Area absolutely proves, more than any place I've lived, that the people are truly the very best and very worst attribute of a place to live. Personal examples from my 7.5 months here:

GOOD: The Hispanic migrant worker who loves striking up a chat with everybody on the train; he doesn't care! Me being approachable and not standoffish, allowing people to ask me for directions at the train station (it happens often). My landlord is a very nice lady, very generous. Old-school Bay Area natives can be pretty nice and approachable. The diversity of transplants from throughout the U.S. and world can make for some truly interesting people to cross paths with. Awesome people at professional networking functions in SF. Meeting friendly, drunk, random people at Oktoberfest. The uber-helpful guy at In-N-Out that not only got my order precisely right (and I'm seldom picky, but was this time), he and I exchanged our knowledge of the history of the company.

BAD: The rude, grouchy attitudes on a daily basis on Caltrain and BART. The a-hole that put his empty Starbucks cup on the table I was sitting at. The idiots that blow their horns at me immediately after the stop light turns green. The demanding gold digger-looking woman at the post office. Condescending twits at professional networking functions in SF. Last but certainly not least, pretentious c*nts that would only be 4s or 5s in looks in Lexington or Nashville who wear oversized sunglasses and talk extremely loudly into their cell phones; I rank them right up there with rapists and Occupy anarchists as people I despise most in society.

Even with the intensity of the negative experiences, plus having my first firm be horrible in employee treatment and a PITA boss at my current job, I've considered living in the Bay to be a valuable learning experience. However, IMO, it's best for people that just don't have much personality or, if you're like I want to me, are well-educated, -skilled, can consult and work on their own time, and can hike and enjoy the attractions of NorCal on their own time. If I were in the latter category plus with a great wife with whom I could enjoy it, I'd say the Bay would be a 5-star experience for me. However, if all goes as planned, it looks like I'll be transferring to Orange County or San Diego in September (also for graduate school) and, to be honest, I can't wait!

Old 03-16-2012, 03:26 PM

484 posts, read 821,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Way to be a buzzkill, dad. Could at least have told her to move to Chicago instead. Really though so long as you have a job lined up in any big city like SF or NYC, everything else falls into place. If you're still unhappy, nobody's forcing you to stay put.
Someone should have killed the OP's buzz before s/he moved here.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,660,088 times
lol sounds like you should get out. Computer jobs are really a dime a dozen everywhere. You could literally point at random at the USA and get a decent job. Lucky you I don't got that option

SF is a great city and the bay is a great area but I do agree the weather sucks in SF (not the bay, Oakland is all right). SF is always chilly and I think the bunch of you who thinks that weather is good don't or never have lived in SF. You live somewhere else in the bay and come to SF when it's hot, then I agree it feels nice but try spending a summer constantly reaching for a hoody and you'll get sick of it too. I prefer a nice sticky summer to that, NYC can keep its cold winters though.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:40 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,835,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
if all goes as planned, it looks like I'll be transferring to Orange County or San Diego
Do SD, or risk losing all vestiges of soul and sanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland