Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:17 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

Since I suggested Pleasant Hill... I would like to add that it is a good city... all things considered. If money is no object, then of course better schools are available in neighboring communities...

Lafayette, Orinda, Moraga, Alamo, Danville, etc.

Good advice to check school boundaries... even though they are subject to change. School Districts don't necessarily stop at the city limits either... that is why it is important to check...

Pleasant Hill is small enough to have that small city USA feel... I took out a building permit several years ago and was surprised to learn that the Chief Building Official, i.e. the head of the Building Department was there to answer questions and actually went out of his way to help homeowners... this is not my experience in other Bay Area cities.

Housing runs the mix from 1950's post war bungalows to some rather high-end custom homes. It will be hard to find an original post war bungalow because most of these home were built on large lots and nearly all of them have since been enlarged.

If I was having to relocate, I would really focus on a good family location that would also let me avoid commuting... Been there, done that and I am so glad I no longer need to do that.

In the Bay Area, in general, the higher the elevation, the more expensive the neighborhood.

Good Luck on your search...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 09:30 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tndshaver View Post
FWIW...I live on the border of Martinez/Pleasant Hill/Lafayette - we have two kids (2nd grade and Kinder) ...love my home, the weather here, and our family lives close by. Since you just mentioned schools, I thought I'd give you my 2cents. Make sure that if this is the move for the long haul, you purchase a home in the right area for the high school, not just a great ele. school. (I don't know how old your kids are)

I am finding myself in that situation right now. We are happy with our ele. school (Sequoia Ele. in Pleasant Hill...the "back to basics" school in the Mt.Diablo school district - you need to be on the waiting list to gain admission), but not thrilled with either the middle or h.s. we are districted in. We facing the dilemma of moving into the better school district (Acalanes), which means spending a million dollars for an 1800 sq. ft. fixer-upper and paying out the nose in property taxes, or putting the kids in private school.

Honestly, we are taking a hard look at moving out of state to a far superior public school system than any in CA, gorgeous homes in the 700's, safe neighborhoods and fairly decent weather most of the time....if you're curious, it's North Carolina!

what part of North Carolina are you looking at. I've seen pictures and it seems to be a beautiful state. Being a California native I'm not sure if I could handle the humidity. But prices of homes and beauty looky pretty good. I hope to visit NC next year.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:07 PM

21 posts, read 57,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
what part of North Carolina are you looking at. I've seen pictures and it seems to be a beautiful state. Being a California native I'm not sure if I could handle the humidity. But prices of homes and beauty looky pretty good. I hope to visit NC next year.
We're looking at the Chapel Hill/ Raleigh/ Durham area for many reasons:
1. Public schools put all of ours to shame - N.C ranked top 15 in the nation...
California ranked 46. NC Universities phenomenal....UC system totally impacted
2. 4,000 sq. feet for $600,000...hello? Oh yeah, on an acre of property too!
3. Low taxes, low cost of living
4. Safe neighborhoods for our kids to ride bikes
5. Rolling hills in some areas...only 2 hrs. to mtns. or beach
6. Humidity is something you get used to quickly - at least no snow like New England area
7. Consistently ranked by many publications as one of the best places to raise a family
8. Friends who moved there a few years ago wouldn't come back to this area for anything...just their opinion!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:42 PM

675 posts, read 2,683,817 times
tndshaver-I totally get what you are saying. We really have it good in so many ways here in MA. Logically we should stay put. This is a heat vs. head dilema. The problem is we miss our family. We are out here all alone. Birthdays and holidays are especially rough. It is so far to fly to CA, esp. when we have to buy 4 tickets, and have kids in school. Really, family is what would draw us back, not the cost of living.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:15 AM

331 posts, read 1,310,887 times
Smile College Park High School, Pleasant Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
Lori-Pleasant Hill looks promising. Is there a BART station in town? Home prices appear to be more in our comfort level, and the elementary and middle schools look good. It seems like the High School is not rated as well. Do you have any insight on that? We are commited to putting our kids in public school. Thanks.
My daughter went to high school at College Park and this school is a "distinguished school" so they are rated well. I would definitely not say they are perfect but they were very strict with the few disciplinary issues we had to deal with. My son is at the middle school and they are great there too.

We are, though, moving next year to North Carolina, due to the high cost of living in general in California. This area is a little higher in price because the location is so good, but overall I cannot afford, as a single mother, afford to live here and pay the high prices. Very sad.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 AM

331 posts, read 1,310,887 times
Smile Nc

Quote:
Hi there, We are also looking to move to NC in 2008. We live in Pleasant Hill, I am a California native and love it here but cant afford it any more. When are you planning your trip?

Old 09-19-2007, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
Hi there, We are also looking to move to NC in 2008. We live in Pleasant Hill, I am a California native and love it here but cant afford it any more. When are you planning your trip?
Depending on finances possibly in the early spring as an exploritory trip. I really do like it here, but I can understand your situation as a single mother. It's pretty hard to afford a home on a single income-even more so with kids.
I can afford a cheap home here and may buy in the spring depending on circumstances.
All in all I can easily afford to live in this area, but I like to keep my options open as I have discovered a lot of nice areas around the US that cost a lot less to live in. I think weather and amenities are what really keep me here though.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndshaver View Post
We're looking at the Chapel Hill/ Raleigh/ Durham area for many reasons:
1. Public schools put all of ours to shame - N.C ranked top 15 in the nation...
California ranked 46. NC Universities phenomenal....UC system totally impacted
2. 4,000 sq. feet for $600,000...hello? Oh yeah, on an acre of property too!
3. Low taxes, low cost of living
4. Safe neighborhoods for our kids to ride bikes
5. Rolling hills in some areas...only 2 hrs. to mtns. or beach
6. Humidity is something you get used to quickly - at least no snow like New England area
7. Consistently ranked by many publications as one of the best places to raise a family
8. Friends who moved there a few years ago wouldn't come back to this area for anything...just their opinion!
sounds great but I am surprised it's costing $600K. I know that NC has had some appreciation in the last few years though.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 AM

718 posts, read 2,687,669 times
Danville has had a reputation for white supremicy since the late 60's early 1970s when it was an arid dusty trashy farm town. People in neighboring cities such as dublin and san ramon jokingly referred to it as KLANville. Now the city is much more upscale, but you still get the country club racists mixed in with the old timers and it can get ugly.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:58 PM

21 posts, read 57,379 times
Quote:
sounds great but I am surprised it's costing $600K. I know that NC has had some appreciation in the last few years though.
Honestly, you can find a nice home in any price range you are looking for. We happen to be looking more in Chapel Hill or Cary because of the public schools....homes are a little pricier in these areas. If schools are not an issue for you, you can spend as little as $300,000 on a nice home.

My comparison was that you will be hard pressed to even find a 4,000 sq. ft house on an acre of property in our area and it certainly will be priced in the several millions.

Yes, there has been some appreciation there lately...supply and demand concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland