Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 03:10 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,885 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a bus route that travels from San Francisco and into the countryside. I was really hoping to see some redwoods(I found some place called Muir Woods?). Does the muni have anything like this?

Obviously, I'm not very familiar with the area. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 04:42 PM

46 posts, read 185,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
I'm looking for a bus route that travels from San Francisco and into the countryside. I was really hoping to see some redwoods(I found some place called Muir Woods?). Does the muni have anything like this?

Obviously, I'm not very familiar with the area. Thanks in advance!
Check out the Marin Transit webpage for their stagecoach service. Muni doesn't cross the Golden Gate bridge, but you can take a Golden Gate transit bus or a ferry over to Marin where you can hook up with some of these services that go into the hills.

During the late spring-summer months, Marin Transit operates a line that goes to Muir woods every 20 minutes.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:58 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times
Golden Gate Transit bus line 66 goes into Muir Woods, but only from May through September. The only other option is bus line 61, which stops at Mountain Home Inn which is on the edge of Muir Woods (so you can still walk right into it). It also stops at Pantoll ranger Station, which is in a neighboring state park rather than Muir Woods (Mt. Tamalpais state park)...but it has plenty of redwood trees too. Much of the coastal areas north of SF, and some to the south of it, are covered in redwoods.

It would probably be more fun if you can rent a car though, then you wouldn't have to worry about waiting for the bus, or missing it, etc.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Muni route 76 runs on sundays and takes you to the Marin Headlands, basically the hills around where the GG Bridge touches down in Marin. I've never taken it though so I don't know how convenient it is in terms of dropping you off in a good location for hiking.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:56 AM

330 posts, read 749,765 times
I agree with rah, find a good deal on a rental car for a day - there's a few garages in the Tenderloin around O'Farrell that have rental cars, and if you ask they normally honor the same rates that are advertised at the airport lots. Then take the 4 hour drive up to Humboldt. The redwoods there are incredible and much better (and more secluded) than Muir woods. Plus that drive on 101 through Mendocino and along the Eel River is very, very pretty.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:05 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,885 times
Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. I'm thinking about just taking a ferry to Sausalito and then taking Marin transit to Muir woods. Rental cars in the Tenderloin might be cheap, but I'm looking to save as much dough as possible. As was mentioned, it seems like some of the Muir woods routes are seasonal, so I might have to do some calling around to find out when exactly they start running.

I've got a few months until I'm in town, so I've got time to kick it around a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland