Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,491 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be moving into the city during mid June and need to find a place to live. I'll be working at 5th and Market.

My budget goal is between $1,500-$2,100/mo on rent but I can go up to $3,000 if need be.

So far looks like Lower Nob Hill might be my best bet but I understand that it's quite close to the Tenderloin somewhere I'd like to avoid..

I'm fresh out of college, so it would be great if the people in the neighborhood were young as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Basically anywhere near a BART station or major Muni bus or light rail line, but with Muni I wouldn't go too far out because the longer your daily Muni ride is, the less pleasant it will be and the more likely it will be that a major delay (very common on Muni, especially on the Metro light rail) will make you late.

Convenient for walking to 5th and Market:
- Lower Nob Hill or Nob Hill (though you'll be walking through the Tenderloin)
- North Beach

Convenient for a fairly short bus ride to 5th and Market:
- Nob Hill area
- Marina area
- Lower Pacific Heights

Convenient for a fairly short Muni Metro ride:
- Noe Valley--take the J for about a 20 minute commute. The J is super flaky though.
- the area around Church and Market and Duboce Park: can take any train from Church or Castro stations, or catch the J or N aboveground, for about a 20 minute commute.
- Hayes Valley--jump on any inbound train at Van Ness and you'll be at work in less than 10 minutes, barring delays.
- Cole Valley--use the N, probably about a 25-30 minute commute I think.

Areas around these BART stations are good and would mean a short and fast commute because BART is awesome:
- 16th and Mission
- 24th and Mission
- Glen Park

Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,491 times
Awesome! That really helps a ton, thank you.

How dangerous is it to walk through the tenderloin?

And where do the younger professionals tend to hang out?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
You probably wont like walking through parts of the Tenderloin after dark or even early evening. The good news is, when you're walking along and your city sense sounds the alarm that you're wandering into an unsafe area in the Tenderloin (some blocks are much worse than others) you can usually turn east for a block or two and avoid the trouble.

The dangerous parts of the Tenderloin are pretty compact and easily avoided. So, avoid them.

Market can be a little sketchy, too, but I have been all up and down it at all hours and never worried for my safety. It's important to put your game face on and walk like you know where you're going, though. That's the same advice I'd give for any big city.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:32 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Young professionals like to hang out in the FiDi, Mission, Polk Gulch, North Beach and the Marina. All are quite close to the area you're talking about.

My favorite place to have fun is North Beach. So much is packed into this hood, you'll never see it all. Lots of great bars here cater to the crowd you're seeking. Happy hunting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland