Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 04:24 PM

137 posts, read 268,407 times

Advertisements

I am researching average salary comparison for the bay area for positions such as senior financial analyst and/or senior financial consultant in the healthcare industry and I need your help.

I am a BS & a MS with 9 years working in this field. In the southwest where I am moving from I made $89k/yr but that was high end. What, in your opinion for those living in the SF and Oakland area should I expect - not necessarily the equivalent but the actual average salary range - for positions like these in the SF & Oakland areas?

This Salary Search | Indeed.com gives the average as -sr. financial analyst as $98k/yr and sr. financial consultant as $119k/yr.

Does anyone know what the average is for healthcare industry specifically because the above is a general average?

Thank you all for you help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 12:46 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
I don't know the healthcare industry. For a financial analyst or senior financial consultant working in the financial services industry, those numbers seem quite low for the SF area or any other major financial center. (I am thinking of MBAs from pretty good to very good schools, not BAs, although BA/CFA is a pretty good combination of credentials.)

Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 PM

You're right. Definitely financial analysts and consultants working for investment banking firms make much more anywhere than what I listed.

Other industries such as healthcare or manufacturing are not as much, probably because the former spends 80 hours a week in addition to the complex financial engineering they deal with and the eventual difference in the money flow compared to the latter.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:35 AM

3 posts, read 11,329 times
Are any of you familiar with nursing salaries in the bay area? My wife is a nurse and I'm almost halfway finished with nursing school. We're looking to move to Oakland in a couple of years after I get some experience under my belt so hopefully it will be simpler to find jobs there before we move. We're obviously in the planning stages now but I'd like to know what the average nursing salary is so we can figure out where we can afford to live if/when we're able to find jobs in the bay area.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:20 AM

Dingo,

I am looking to move to the bay area too and curious about the real salary vs. the average given on salary.com.

I am told however, that salary.com's result is pretty close to actual for a given city - give and take a few. I am sure RN pay rate in the bay area is among the highest in the country. Salary.com says $94k for RNs on the average.

Salaray scale in the bay area is high compared to other areas and I guess, to compensate for the high cost of living, especially housing.

I need the info quickly to help me be aware not to shoot myself in the foot accepting a potential job offer.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,279,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ1 View Post
Dingo,

I am looking to move to the bay area too and curious about the real salary vs. the average given on salary.com.

I am told however, that salary.com's result is pretty close to actual for a given city - give and take a few. I am sure RN pay rate in the bay area is among the highest in the country. Salary.com says $94k for RNs on the average.

Salaray scale in the bay area is high compared to other areas and I guess, to compensate for the high cost of living, especially housing.

I need the info quickly to help me be aware not to shoot myself in the foot accepting a potential job offer.
I have noticed (in my field at least) that Salary.com seems to be a bit higher than what companies are prepared to offer. I think that's largely due to the economy still not being great and companies trying to low-ball offers to keep their operating expenses lower.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 11,329 times
Thanks ABQ. Upon further research I noticed on the UCSF website they listed their RN's salaries and what you found on salary.com is right in line with that. Hopefully all bay area hospitals are in that range because then my family and I could realistically afford to live in the east bay in a decent area.

Good luck on your search and I wish I had a concrete answer to give about the real salary vs. Internet. Unfortunately you and I seem to be in the same boat though.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,009,810 times
If you can actually find a 100,000+ job in the Bay Area, that sounds about correct.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM

23 posts, read 46,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
If you can actually find a 100,000+ job in the Bay Area, that sounds about correct.
it's not that hard

Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea415 View Post
it's not that hard
Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland