Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 6,206 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am looking for some honest advice. Not here to boast. I have 3 kids, wife and have worked hard to save a substantial sum of money. I make around 600k per year and am looking at buying in the bay area. Looking for great schools, nice people and a large home in a safe town. Was looking at Pleasanton. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 11:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Pleasanton is pleasant. Generic suburbia with a downtown with a bit of charm.

I like more character/walkability and I would live in Piedmont. Homes are much more expensive than the ones in Pleasanton.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:58 PM

457 posts, read 756,799 times
With that kind of income, personally, I would choose either south Marin (Sausalito, Mill Valley) or Pacific Heights in the city with gorgeous bay and bridge views. Of course with Pac Heights you have to send your kids to private school. Pleasanton is nice as well as many Peninsula towns (Pall Alto, Los Gatos, Menlo Park etc.). But the view of the in clear sunny day is unbeatable

Old 03-26-2012, 02:06 AM

506 posts, read 1,154,683 times
I'd choose Pacific Heights, too, but it depends on if you like city life or not.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:10 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Hawaii.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:25 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Los Altos

Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,263,802 times
Depends on what you're looking for. As others mentioned, Piedmont and South Marin are also great. Piedmont offers established, tree-lined streets in one of the best zip codes in the U.S.. Homes are immaculate and historic, with beautiful architecture. It looks a bit like Bel Air in SoCal. However, the nearby infrastructure is rather urban. Also, it has a somewhat cooler bayside climate. South Marin County has a resort-like, waterfront lifestyle -- mediterranean homes overlooking the bay or with their own boat docks. Very relaxing, and beautiful. Pleasanton is OC-style suburbia, but with tons of mall-type infrastructure, a cute downtown, plus the nearby Livermore Wine Country and Lake Del Valle, which is an amazing place to hang out and swim on weekends. Pleasanton does get very hot in the summer most years (lots of 95-100 degree days), but it's extremely sunny most of the year. You can get much more house for the money there. I would look into the Ruby Hill subdivision if you want something really spectacular with some square footage and access to golf, tennis, and swimming.

Also, consider Danville or Blackhawk. Depending on your taste and lifestyle you want, they both offer some great options. Danville's downtown is very charming, with a nice, small town, old west feel and fantastic upscale restaurants. You're also close to Walnut Creek's bustling downtown with major high end shopping and dining. Danville proper has a country feel, with expensive ranch style homes in the hills, while Blackhawk has a gated community, golf club feel with homes built in the past thirty years.

FYI, all of the above areas have public schools well into the 90+ percentiles statewide.

If you have specific questions about any of these areas, please message me privately. I'm a Bay Area native and have spent substantial time in all of them. I do happen to be a real estate broker, but it's not my main profession. I'm just happy to help.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 AM

180 posts, read 211,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfordlong1815 View Post
Hi
I am looking for some honest advice. Not here to boast. I have 3 kids, wife and have worked hard to save a substantial sum of money. I make around 600k per year and am looking at buying in the bay area. Looking for great schools, nice people and a large home in a safe town. Was looking at Pleasanton. Thanks.
Most high earners on the Peninsula live in Hillsborough. If you want to be closer to nature try Mill Valley, Sausalito, or Tiburon. I would avoid most of the East Bay with your level of income. Definitely avoid Pleasanton, nothing wrong with the area, but nothing amazing either.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 AM

566 posts, read 958,339 times
OP, too bad you're not a single guy. If you were, you could live the playboy lifestyle in LA and have a sweet bachelor pad in the Hollywood Hills overlooking the city.

Oh well, I guess there's no turning back now.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:02 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Lafayette. Hands down. Small town feel, upscale everything, close to some world class shopping in Walnut Creek. Warm enough to have barbecues in the summer, but not so hot that it's wretched.

When I'm in Marin, it feels very isolated to me. Friends lived there for a while and they felt that way too. Orinda feels like it's cut in half and awkward. Walnut Creek is too built up and crowded, Moraga feels sort of like Marin. Piedmont is too cold (I'm getting older, and I'm not liking the coolness anymore, which I used to love).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland