Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Daly City (around DC BART) vs Oakland downtown, where to live
Daly City (around DC BART) 10 66.67%
Oakland downtown 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:04 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times

Advertisements

I understand I created a similar thread about traffic, but in terms of general living, like amenities, safety, etc., where do you think is a better place to live?

I understand that downtown is not the best area of Oakland but we'd like to rent in a modern building close to the lake (the Grand Apartments specifically). In Daly City we have set our eyes to 88 Hillside, a new apartment complex converted from condo, which is close to the Daly City BART.

Both of them are fairly close to public transportation. Our commute needs are to Mountain View and Berkeley. For Daly City it is like 40 minutes to Mountain View and 30 minutes to Berkeley by car and 50 minutes by BART. For Oakland it is very close to Berkeley but close to an hour of commute to mountain view without traffic.

They are equally close to the City. The one in Oakland is less expensive, with a better view but has a smaller floorplan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM

3,242 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
For Oakland it is very close to Berkeley but close to an hour of commute to mountain view without traffic.
There is always traffic with that route. Try it at commute times and once will probably be enough for life.

The Daly City location is very convenient but most people won't appreciate that neighborhood. Have you walked around and checked out that area? At least it is walkable to Bart.

I would look for a third alternative in Daly City,SSF or San Bruno. Like this one which is walkable to lots of decent restaurants in South SF.

Grand Avenue, South San Francisco CA - Trulia

Old 03-26-2012, 10:45 PM

Thanks.

Yes I drove around the area and I think it is fine. Not great but not bad either. The BART station seems filthy but fairly safe. The apartment is new and clean and we like it.

We considered SSF briefly but it is two stations farther away from the Berkeley commute and the trains are less frequent so we decided to draw the line at Daly City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
There is always traffic with that route. Try it at commute times and once will probably be enough for life.

The Daly City location is very convenient but most people won't appreciate that neighborhood. Have you walked around and checked out that area? At least it is walkable to Bart.

I would look for a third alternative in Daly City,SSF or San Bruno. Like this one which is walkable to lots of decent restaurants in South SF.

Grand Avenue, South San Francisco CA - Trulia

Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,172,734 times
I would vote Daly City because I lived there for many years and enjoyed the weather. It's extremely convenient to downtown San Francisco, the airport, great access to the rest of the Bay Area, and it's cheap to live there. Traffic to Mountain View can be ugly but without a bridge to cross it's less painful. You also have the option of two freeways. Traffic over the Bay Bridge gets bad but it's usually not as bad as west bound in the morning and if it seems too bad you can take BART.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM

622 posts, read 1,145,733 times
Because you've got to commute to Mountain View, you should probably move to Daly City. However, downtown Oakland is pretty great. The area is revitalizing. I said to some people I was out with there a few weeks ago that in the 90s I would have never thought I'd be running around downtown Oakland having fun, drinking and socializing. It's also convenient to both the city and other East Bay communities.

But if you've got to do a regular commute to Walnut Creek, I think you should make your commute as easy as possible.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
daly city

at least in that case the bay bridge is a reverse commute

Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 PM

If I commute from Oakland I'll cross the bridge 84. Is that equally bad during commute hours? Or you are just referring to the fact that one person crossing bay bridge as a reverse commute is a lot better than the other person driving on 880 southward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
daly city

at least in that case the bay bridge is a reverse commute

Old 03-27-2012, 11:15 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
If I commute from Oakland I'll cross the bridge 84. Is that equally bad during commute hours? Or you are just referring to the fact that one person crossing bay bridge as a reverse commute is a lot better than the other person driving on 880 southward?
i was just talkingg about the bay bridge commute not 880 and 84.someone else will have to answer that

Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
i was just talkingg about the bay bridge commute not 880 and 84.someone else will have to answer that
84 (Dumbarton Bridge) commute is fine, but the 880 commute to get there is absolutely awful. Probably one of the worst (if not THE) worst commuting corridor in the entire bay area.

I lived in Alameda briefly when I first moved to the bay area, and I commuted to Palo Alto. This commute never took less than 1 hr 15 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes unless it was after 10 AM or after 7/8 PM. The longest it ever took was 2 hours and 30 minutes (due to being stuck on 880 between exits, and a "perfect storm" of rain, multiple accidents and a basketball game at Oracle in Oakland). The quickest I could make it was 50 minutes (but this never happened).

There really is no good way to commute from Oakland to the south bay...this is why I voted Daly City. I really like Oakland and think it can be a great place to live; but living in the bay area means you have to think about your commute before choosing where to live. I seriously think this commute from Oakland to Mountain View would get old really fast (no matter what roads you took). It would drain the life of you, and you'd have nothing left when you got home at night.

The commutes from Daly City will let you be able to relax a lot more (BART is a good commute to Berkeley, and 280 is pretty smooth at most times of the day).

For these reasons above, I voted Daly City. But, if you ever get a job closer to Oakland (or SF), I'd seriously take a look at Oakland. There are some really nice places there (as most people here will tell you).

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
How about Fremont, 45 minutes on BART to Berkeley and it's across the bridge from Palo Alto which is next to Mountain View.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland