Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 08:04 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,505,983 times

Advertisements

We San Franciscophiles believe, of course, that there is no better city in the world than ours.

No view is more breathtaking than the bay peeking through the fog as it snakes across the Golden Gate Bridge, no food more delicious than that first crack of dungeness crab in December, no setting more ideal than a sunny Sunday picnic on Speedway Meadow. Sure, we wear jackets in the summertime and the Market Street bike lane hasn't been paved in years, but no matter. Our city embodies perfection.

Which is why we weren't at all surprised to learn that a new report ranks San Francisco among the best cities for quality of living in the world. We're just shocked we didn't top the list..............................

San Francisco Quality Of Life Among Best In World, New Survey Reveals (PHOTOS)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
We San Franciscophiles believe, of course, that there is no better city in the world than ours.

No view is more breathtaking than the bay peeking through the fog as it snakes across the Golden Gate Bridge, no food more delicious than that first crack of dungeness crab in December, no setting more ideal than a sunny Sunday picnic on Speedway Meadow. Sure, we wear jackets in the summertime and the Market Street bike lane hasn't been paved in years, but no matter. Our city embodies perfection.

Which is why we weren't at all surprised to learn that a new report ranks San Francisco among the best cities for quality of living in the world. We're just shocked we didn't top the list..............................

San Francisco Quality Of Life Among Best In World, New Survey Reveals (PHOTOS)
I'm as big a defender of San francisco as anyone on C-D but you really need to take that information down to Golden Gate Park and share it with the homeless living there

Old 12-03-2011, 08:13 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,505,983 times
you always will find poverty in each city

Old 12-03-2011, 12:03 PM

327 posts, read 766,778 times
i've visited SF a handful of times in the past 2 months and while i did enjoy my time there, i barely put it in the top 10 places that i've gone to. of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
you always will find poverty in each city
Then perhaps a survey on 10 best cities to be homeless in?

Old 12-03-2011, 03:16 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Only in the Bay Area would people pat themselves on the back and act like it's the best place on earth for coming in 30th on a survey! haha. I highly doubt anyone in Honolulu or any of these other US cities is writing an article filled with their cities equivalent of bayarrhea.(Urban Dictionary: Bayarrhea)

It's amusing how much more humble and realistic other cities that made this list are about it:
Honolulu Quality of Life is Number 1 in the Nation According to Survey | Beyond Honolulu

"Well, even with all the high prices of gas, food, land, electric and water, Honolulu still has a few things going for it. A recent survey found that Honolulu quality of life is number 1 in the nation."

Old 12-04-2011, 03:15 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,550,880 times
How Honolulu made the list is beyond me. I lived there. The only thing it has is good weather, beaches, and scenery. Nothing else about that place can hold a candle to even an average American city. Outside of the tourist hotspots it's pathetic. Traffic, crime, poverty, very corrupt government, poor infrastructure, homes that aren't much more than plywood on a frame, really bad schools (except Kamahameha), school teachers who will speak Pidgin English, mediocre medical facilities. I was coming from living in Germany when I moved there. It seemed like a halfway house to America to me. Not because of its large Asian population, but because it's actually a rather poor city and state. Go outside of the tourist areas in Honolulu and it doesn't look much different than some third world countries.

Well, maybe I can understand it. If it were a survey...Hawaii residents have paradise fever. You hear everyone talking about how they live in paradise. Most of the folks I knew who would tell me that all live back on the mainland now. Everyone rationalizes their relocation there by speaking as if it's paradise. Not in a million years should it be ranked #1 in the US, or even in the top 25. It epitomizes the "great place to vacation, not a great place to live" saying. Go on Google Street View and drive around some of the side streets.

I pretty much agree with most of the other city choices.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 AM

415 posts, read 1,665,604 times
I'm always skeptical of rankings like this. I remember Boston was named least fashionable city and Miami was voted the angriest city. Both awards are rediculous.

How does one define desirable city? Affordable housing, good public schools, low cost of living, not overcrowded, light traffic, low crime?

Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 AM

858 posts, read 2,235,649 times
As much I love SF, I most definitely don't think it's the best city in the world. There are so many other cities that are a lot more livable than our City. However, it is the best in the nation. Who wants to live in an island and it's only one ranking ahead of SF which doesn't mean much statistically out of 30.

This ranking is pretty legit, way more legit than the stupid Forbes lists. "Mercer is a global leader in human resource consulting, outsourcing and investment services. Mercer works with clients to solve their most complex benefit and human capital issues by designing, implementing and administering health, retirement and other benefit programs. Mercer’s investment services include investment consulting, implemented consulting and multi-manager investment management. Mercer’s 20,000 employees are based in more than 40 countries."

If you don't believe this list, then you shouldn't believe any list. I have visited 5 of the the top ten cities and they are on the dot.

Interestingly, look at the personal safety list, SF (or any US city) is not even on there.

Last edited by ubringliten; 12-04-2011 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: grammar check

Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
The quality in San Francisco is superb.... if you are fortunate to have the money to afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland