Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 PM

4 posts, read 8,622 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I got a position in San Francisco and will be moving out there after graduation in May. I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber registered in my mothers name that I use for school. When I move to SF I plan on bringing this car with me. Is it possible to register this car in my name in California even though it is currently registered in somebody else's name in NY? Also the deed for the car is in my mothers name as well. Any advice on what the appropriate and easiest steps to get the car registered in my name in California would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 PM

4 posts, read 6,634 times
Have your mother fill out the title to transfer to you, do it as a GIFT to avoid the tax impact.

I moved from the Midwest last summer with a car in my mother's name, filled out the paperwork to transfer the title as a gift. It was easy, standard reg fees and no tax hit.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:14 AM

4 posts, read 8,622 times
Did you fill this paperwork out in your home state first or can this be done in California? Thanks for all your help

Old 03-31-2012, 02:53 AM

578 posts, read 1,290,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
Did you fill this paperwork out in your home state first or can this be done in California? Thanks for all your help
We did everything in California and had no issues. This was transferring the title of the car from my parent's in another state, to me here in California.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 6,634 times
I had the CA paperwork sent to my parents' place before I even moved west. I had them sign the transfer papers and brought them in to the DMV. Search their website for something like "New to California"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland