Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:37 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Sensitive much?
says the person who actually puts people on ignore because he doesnt want to read opposing views-lol

I find it more than a little strange that you are so eager to be so loud and demanding on this subject and yet refuse to entertain the opinions of those with more first hand experience with the city this thread is about.

Very telling. It sounds more like you are just an anti-Oakland troll more than anything else.

Quote:
It's pointing out exactly how gangs operate in each city by detail, by age demographic, by crimes committed, and backed up by law enforcement statistics. It was a well balanced article actually.
No, its a hysteria laden smear piece that serves NO purpose but to call out cities that dont need another out of town media outlet pointing out problems THEY ALREADY KNOW exist and are trying to deal with, and its meant to scare the bejeezus out of already sheltered suburbanites who dont know jack about anything but use these kinds of articles to then pontificate on an issue they know very little about. No, this article doesnt offer up anything substantive that really helps but just sits there like a rotting egg stinking up the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510
Where did I accuse YOU of anything? I was speaking of Oaklanders as a community, which is the question you asked.
Im an idiot--my apologies.

And I agree 100 million percent. That is exactly what we need to do first and foremost

Old 04-07-2012, 11:07 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
This will probably go no where but let me fill a few of you in on a few things. Oakland has a violent crime problem that's for sure. However the "gang" problem is a term coined by those who don't quite understand what a gang actually is. One of these people said they'd rather live in a city with a lot of gangs that appeared to suck at violence. I added the word appear because that's all it actually is. Let me tell you as a young black male I have lived in both types of places. I moved from Oakland to San Diego during one of the biggest times for gang activity anywhere. I never had to pay attention to the ways of the streets in Oakland because not only could I avoid those areas but the culture is such that it's easier for the "gang members" to tell who and what you are. The reason is because they're not gangs as we know them.

This was not the case in San Diego. Several times I was nearly jumped for wearing the wrong colors. There, you had better know where you were, who's neighborhood you were in and what colors to wear and not wear. Even though I had no part in that culture what so ever, I had to learn about it and know the gang jargon and where the gangs were located as my safety depended on it. San Diego is not nearly as bad as Oakland right? Depends on who you are. It also depends on what gets reported. SD, like SF has an image to maintain so a lot of reporting of violence get deflected to neighboring cities and to some degree regional ones.

Oakland doesn't have bloods and crips. You can wear whatever colors you like. It doesn't matter whether you say "what up blood" or what up cuzz" to someone. Do that in the wrong neighborhood where those gangs exist and you could get shot, simple as that. It is for these reasons why myself, nineties flava, jade408 and 18 montclair are telling some of you that you don't know what you're talking about...because you really don't know.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:43 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Where did I accuse YOU of anything? I was speaking of Oaklanders as a community, which is the question you asked.
Exactly! I'm telling you, there is something up in this forum. There are some extremely super sensitive Oaklanders here who are ready to 'wage internet war' with anyone who has a negative opinion.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, its a hysteria laden smear piece that serves NO purpose but to call out cities that dont need another out of town media outlet pointing out problems
What? The article is written by Nate Berg!

Guess where he lives?

Oh right, in Los Angeles, one of the cities "called out" in the article.

What an agenda he must have, to purposefully create a hysteria laden piece to trash the city where he lives.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
So Doc, you didn't address the issue in your haste to put the other guy on ignore. Why DID you cite a 14-year-old article?

Old 04-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
So Doc, you didn't address the issue in your haste to put the other guy on ignore. Why DID you cite a 14-year-old article?
I didn't originally cite the article, and I didn't know it was 14 years old, but what it's reporting certainly hasn't changed even in 2012. The article is simply pointing out how a lot of the gang violence is racially motivated and has been for a long time in Oakland. But I understand, maybe you and others thinking that us outsiders (even though I live just 13 miles away from Oakland), are making up "racial tension" in Oakland in our attempt to create hysteria.

Here's an article from the Oakland Tribune in 2011 which pretty much says the same thing about the Hispanics and Black Gangs in Oakland:
http://amren.com/oldnews/archives/2011/05/element_of_raci.php (broken link)

Quote:
Karina Najeva arrived in the United States from El Salvador when she was 13 years old. Behind her were painful memories of war and poverty.

“I saw a lot of violence in Salvador,” she said.

At first, life in the U.S. was difficult, much more difficult than she had imagined. And there was still violence, the same kind of violence she had hoped to escape. Much of the fighting was between Latinos and African-Americans.
But hey, the article is 1 year old. Maybe we can argue about the validity of a 1 year old article, or a 14 year old article, or a 40 year old article because that's the issue, according to you, that we're discussing here not the fact that a lot of the gang violence in Oakland is racially motivated. Right Fontucky?

Last edited by DocGoldstein; 04-07-2012 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-07-2012, 02:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
I didn't know it was 14 years old bla bla bla bla bla bla
That answers my question!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:24 PM

But of course. Good bye Fontucky (you've just joined a prestigious list), continue trolling, it will just be unseen by me (thankfully).

Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
Exactly! I'm telling you, there is something up in this forum. There are some extremely super sensitive Oaklanders here who are ready to 'wage internet war' with anyone who has a negative opinion.
Again, sensitivity doesn't factor into this, your premises and following arguments are utter nonsense. Oakland has crime, thanks for this bombshell. Meanwhile, I feel perfectly safe walking through downtown or from Lake Merritt BART at night, more so than I ever felt walking around SF at night.

The high crime is mostly restricted to pretty much three districts in the city. And even then, a lot of that crime stems from those who know each other or some psycho that popped off as was the case with the Oikos shooting. We don't have roving gangs of thugs running around and randomly assaulting and raping people.

Like others have said, you don't know what you're talking about. This is why you're getting so much **** from those of us who actually live here.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Again, sensitivity doesn't factor into this, your premises and following arguments are utter nonsense. Oakland has crime, thanks for this bombshell. Meanwhile, I feel perfectly safe walking through downtown or from Lake Merritt BART at night, more so than I ever felt walking around SF at night.

The high crime is mostly restricted to pretty much three districts in the city. And even then, a lot of that crime stems from those who know each other or some psycho that popped off as was the case with the Oikos shooting. We don't have roving gangs of thugs running around and randomly assaulting and raping people.

Like others have said, you don't know what you're talking about. This is why you're getting so much **** from those of us who actually live here.
What? I never said anything about roving gangs, and random assault and rape (if I did, please point out where because I'm pretty sure I didn't). Are you sure that post was meant for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland