Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:53 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
A minor detail related to crime stats: not all cities report equally. Some cities report everything, even lawn theft. Other people only report things that get solved. Other people only report categories of crime where they have a dedicated team. And others report when they feel like it.

I'll believe comparison stats when someone standardizes the reporting methods across jurisdictions.
Yes, the FBI is bluntly critical of CQ Press with good reason--this 'ranking' compares apples and oranges.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:14 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
How can it be misleading? My premise is based on statistics which are facts. Of course no one knows whether they will be shot or mugged whether they enter into any city. That's not the point of this thread. We're talking about why Oakland is considered a "dangerous city", in fact, the MOST dangerous in California. That's a common perception of Oakland locally in the Bay Area too, and you know it, even if you won't admit it.

Your opinion may be different, but it's not supported by any empirical data, just hear say, and anecdotal evidence.
Your stats are nothing without proper analysis which requires critical thinking which is a skill you clearly lack. You're just posting statistics without context, essentially circumstantial evidence passed off as "facts." But this too will fall on deaf ears as that requires the ability to think and reason. Again, clearly not your strong suit.

Oh look, I can easily pull up actual useful data here. Funny, I can't find any murders in my area. So much for the danger.

At this point, you're merely trolling. You have no argument, buh-bye.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Well as mayorhaggar said, what "fantastic" posters we have here.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Why do either of you care? You don't even live here.
The last hoorah of a failed argument.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Well as mayorhaggar said, what "fantastic" posters we have here.
I had called that out in a previous thread. The absurdity does have some "fantastic" proportions.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:41 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
To be fair, anyone with a PhD could easily figure out how "fantastic" these posts truly are.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
The last hoorah of a failed argument.

Yeah, I don't get this argument. I have that guy on ignore, but it's an argument I've seen other Oaklanders bring up.

"You don't live here so we don't want to hear your opinion."
"Outsiders should keep their opinions to themselves."

Umm, last time I checked city-data was a public forum, not just for people who live in Oakland, and the topic is "Why is Oakland the most dangerous city in Calif?"

I don't see any special requirement that one has to live in the city boundaries of Oakland to participate in this internet discussion.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:11 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
Your stats are nothing without proper analysis which requires critical thinking which is a skill you clearly lack. You're just posting statistics without context, essentially circumstantial evidence passed off as "facts." But this too will fall on deaf ears as that requires the ability to think and reason. Again, clearly not your strong suit.

Oh look, I can easily pull up actual useful data here. Funny, I can't find any murders in my area. So much for the danger.

At this point, you're merely trolling. You have no argument, buh-bye.
Trolling? I haven't personally insulted you at all during this entire exchange. But you have insulted me numerous times personally across various threads involving my opinion on Oakland, including a few times just in your last post (which I have highlighted above). I was an active Oncologist for nearly 20 years before I retired a few years ago to spend more time with my wife and grand children (I have 2). In those years practicing, I've had to make some tough decisions based on my ability to "critically think and reason". Many of my decisions have saved people's lives, and other times I've made a decision that I felt with my heart and soul was the correct treatment plan, and still had many patients die. But I don't think my ability to think and reason can really be questioned, nor should you be the one to question it.

This is a discussion, where people should be presenting opinions in a mature manner, and be willing to accept or discuss someone else's viewpoint instead of constantly insulting someone because you think they're wrong, or attempt to gang up and bully them out of the thread. For crying out loud, you have people calling others in here racist, or elitist just because they don't think Oakland is a safe city. Completely out of line.

You should seriously look at your posts and ask yourself why you cannot get your point across without resorting to schoolyard insults, and then reevaluate whether you are the one who is acting like a mature adult, or acting like a troll.

Last edited by DocGoldstein; 04-09-2012 at 11:32 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 01:37 PM

109 posts, read 300,079 times
Simply put, Doc, your arguments are generalizations. Hence our reasoning with you to help you understand violence and gang warefare aren't typical in most of the city. When we do this, you make further generalizations about our background and perspectives. It is difficult to get your point across when you resort to such tactics. My $.02.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:41 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlandbus View Post
Simply put, Doc, your arguments are generalizations. Hence our reasoning with you to help you understand violence and gang warefare aren't typical in most of the city. When we do this, you make further generalizations about our background and perspectives. It is difficult to get your point across when you resort to such tactics. My $.02.
Such impudence! Banished to the purgatory that is the Great DG Ignore List!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland