Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times

Advertisements

This is a new army of cyclists in the future. It's time for car drivers to respect cyclists.

SF’s Biggest Bike to School Day Yet Marks a Growing Trend Among Students | Streetsblog San Francisco

Are you annoy by these kids that want safe streets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,476 times

El coche nos.... [with english subtitles] - YouTube

Here is something for you car drivers out there living in the city. Think twice before you hawk on cyclists.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
You do know that 2 mi/hr is walking speed right?
Actually, 1 mph slower than the average person's walking speed.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Quote:
. Makes me want to visit Long Beach now. I have families in LA and the next time I visit, I am bringing my folder.

Are you riding regularly over there?
I rely on my bike to get around pretty much everywhere, the bus system in LB doesn't run often enough to be useful and I can get from my place to Belmont Shores in about 20 minutes. Plus I don't have a driver's license, though I just got my permit and I've started practicing driving. It's just too hard to live here without a car, I'd be ok if I didn't work but I need to find a job soon and jobs are spread all over the place here and the LB job market is pretty dead.

Something even better than biking on the beach in LB would probably be the Strand path which goes along the beach from Torrance up to Santa Monica. LB's beach is ok and the bike path is really nice but it's right next to the big industrial port and there's a bunch of oil wells right offshore. I think the beaches north of here are more picturesque though I haven't had a chance yet to go on the Strand, it's just been too chilly and windy here lately.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,147 times
Default This may lead to bicycle traffic school

In response to this incident SF is considering requiring bike safety school for cyclists who break traffic laws.

S.F. might school scofflaw cyclists | Dan Schreiber | News | San Francisco Examiner

Old 04-13-2012, 05:06 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
How do you make them attend when there is no requirement for them to carry ID? Who would give their real name, address, etc? Without a bicycle license or mandatory ID it seems like a waste of a police officer's time to stop a cyclist for not following the rules.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
They can start by arresting or ticketing people for riding on the sidewalk and blasting through red lights, like they would with cars. Like I said, I've seen cops in downtown SF standing on the corner while bicyclists zip past them on the sidewalk and blast through red lights all day long. It's clearly not a priority at all for the SFPD, they probably don't want to bother with the logistics of an officer on foot or in a car chasing down and tackling a douchey bicyclist.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:45 AM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Personally, I think they should just stand there with long sticks to jab into the spokes of any sidewalk riders. Those going slow enough to reasonably be riding on sidewalks (even if illegal) wouldn't be at much risk.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:39 PM

45 posts, read 112,145 times
Quote:
I want to correct you. Stopping with a front brake is pretty easy. You lock up your legs which stops the rear tires and squeeze the front lever. I have a fixie with front brakes. And front brakes actually works better than rear brakes.
I have a fixie w/ front brakes too. It's not faster than stopping on my other bikes w/ a free wheel and 2 brakes dude.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:27 PM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Well, he never said that it did. He said the front brake works better than the rears, which is true. Rear brakes give you a lot more control than locking up the wheel with your legs, but you're not really losing much stopping power. The problem is most fixie riders don't have any brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland